Good Ginny-wop dago deli food

I miss the old Italian supermarket deli food I used to get as a kid in Brooklyn. Anybody know where I can get quality stuff like that? I miss the specialities like procuito balls, greasy spinich bread, real fresh mozzarella in water, roasted peppers etc. Isn't there a place on the UWS like 60's? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Joe's Dairy on Sullivan St., south of Houston, is a must stop for me if I'm anywhere near it for their fresh mozzerella and stuffed peppers. Most probably already know of it, so humor me if I'm being obvious.

I know it's not popular to list NJ places, but a great ginny-wop dago deli is Marino's in Springfield on Mountain Ave. Good seafood, too.

Also, the Belmont Tavern in B-e-l-l-eville on Bloomfield Ave. is one of the all-time great ginny-wop hangouts. Go on a Monday night to get the authentic experience, when they're open to allow certain neighborhood gents, of a particular ethnic background, the ability to "settle up" after the weekend's action. Closed on Tuesdays.

Last edited:
Yes they are, and all other areas. Ethnic deli's of Italian, German,Irish, and Jewish,Greeks are vacating in droves. The next group Asians,East Indians, and others are now the mainstay in NY. The former ethnicities have made their dough, retired, or died and moved out. Now you get Pizza made by Paco, Subway, which tastes like shit on foam rubber. The best old world eaterys that made NY the best are all but gone. There are gems out there, but have become very hard to find. Now you can find jerk chicken on every corner, A salumeria, wtf is that?

Speak your mind. The liberal control freaks on UG will whine, and rant, and try to shit on you. Just stand up to them, It's only a public forum run by closet wannabee gangsters. 99% would run for the hills if confronted with actual reality, instead of their gay arm chair commentary.
i guess we can't talk about ginny's?

All or None

Go right ahead. That means you can say the "N" :eek: word too, Gook, Kike, Chink, Spic, and what ever else you politically correct hypocrites want to waste your breath on.

The other problem you get with these supermarket deli's is that the old ones used to make there food fresh, some of the newer ones just pull stuff out of a jar ! which is fine but they try to pass it off as fresh!

Yep get used to it. "Home made" a new slogan to lie to the public with. Look in a trash bin behind a restaurant, in there you will find that can where home was. lol

The other problem you get with these supermarket deli's is that the old ones used to make there food fresh, some of the newer ones just pull stuff out of a jar ! which is fine but they try to pass it off as fresh!

Last edited:
Back to the topic.. Russos on East 11th Street ( in east village/ just west of 1st Ave. ) ... Next door to Veneiros ( the Italian pastry place )

Last edited:
... Now you get Pizza made by Paco...
You do have a point look back in the kitchen of almost any of these places you will see cheap labor making the food. Any time i go to and Italian pork store around here (long island) there's an Italian guy in the front filling the order and three Spanish guy's in the back making it.

Fircci's in Ozone Park on 101 ave.... (two blocks from Gotti's old Bergen clubhouse). I already mentioned it in the cassateddi thread. But for all you Fourth Amendment advocates beware you will be video taped walking down the street here. Still plenty of mob activity and fed/mafia cat and mouse games going on along this strip.

Or try the Corona Salumeria on Corona Ave and 108st between the lemon Ice King and the Parkside restaurant.

Or Ragtime deli on Crossbay blvd in Howard Beach.

Almost forgot Mama's on 104 street bet 46 & 47 aves in Corona. It's buried on a residential block (along with Tony's Pizza) but both are hidden gems.

OZ Im assumin Tony's pizza is Tuff Tony's from Parkside? Tried it when they first opened and again recently and was underwhelmed both times. Any thing in particular to look out for. I gotta be honest the pizza was pretty bad. Corona pizza is not what it used to be but the regular can sometimes match the glory days.

My fav place was Corona Heights Pork Store run by Frank and MaryLou and their daughter. They had the best heros I've ever had in my life. Freshly made with their homade fresh mozzarell. They closed down last year and nobody knows why or where they went. True loss to the neighborhood. The place next door Corona Park Salumeria is a joke compared to CHPS. I dont know how that place stays in business.

Last edited:
Also, the Belmont Tavern in B-e-l-l-eville on Bloomfield Ave. is one of the all-time great ginny-wop hangouts. Go on a Monday night to get the authentic experience, when they're open to allow certain neighborhood gents, of a particular ethnic background, the ability to "settle up" after the weekend's action. Closed on Tuesdays.
If you want to get good Italian deli in the B e l lville area try Frade's on Joralemon St and Union Ave.

Homemade stromboli, pepperoni bread, meatballs, pastas, broccoli & cavatelli, the works. Also homemade salads and they make a good sub there too. [Good butcher as well]

Geeze, all of a sudden I'm hungry.

Last edited:
These places are dropping like flies in Brooklyn.

Dead and gone.

I use to drive to certain parts of Brooklyn for good deli all the time. Sheepshed Bay for Italian, Brighton Beach for Jewish.

You can still get good Middle Eastern food in the Heights though.

Not related to the above, there was a place in the Heights called "The Picadilly" that use to serve the best sandwiches. They'd bring you a plate with the meat and the cheese, a loaf of your bread(s) of choice, bowls of pickles on the table, great slaw. Man, I miss that place.