Election Comments

Originally posted by pjorourke

I'll tell you what James. I'll send you a check for $25,000. Would you rather get it sent by Fedex or PO?
Hell for that amount of money, I'll drive to your house. But could I get cash rather than a check. Small bills if possible. Thanks.

Originally posted by Ozzy
Al Gore enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1968. After basic training at Fort Lee, New Jersey, later transferred to Fort Rucker, Alabama where he would be stationed for 18 months and where on May 19, 1970, while stationed in Alabama, Gore married Mary Elizabeth “Tipper” Aitcheson. Shortly there after he was sent oversea's where he served for four months in South Vietnam as a journalist. Gore was honorably discharged from the Army in Jan 1971.

My what an impressive military record he has. I seriously doubt he ever saw combat nor ever carried a side arm (let alone fire a shot).... And they gave him a medal for what?
The Vietnam Service Medal is basically a medal for being present in Vietnam during the "police action". So Al won it by having the sense to step off the plane.

Originally posted by jseah

The Vietnam Service Medal is basically a medal for being present in Vietnam during the "police action". So Al won it by having the sense to step off the plane.
No one said he was a war hero. The point is that he went. He didn't have his daddy get him a deferment and stay home.

Lets face it... Most of all politicians have a "daddy" to bail them out. Being a draft dodger or a crook bears no party favoritism.... (they're equally guilty). For as much as you jump on W for avoiding Viet Nam... You should equally bury Clinton... But you won't. That’s my whole point about the Democrats lately. They’ve become what the Republicans were in the early 90’s. .

Originally posted by Ozzy
Lets face it... Most of all politicians have a "daddy" to bail them out. Being a draft dodger or a crook bears no party favoritism.... (they're equally guilty). For as much as you jump on W for avoiding Viet Nam... You should equally bury Clinton... But you won't. That’s my whole point about the Democrats lately. They’ve become what the Republicans were in the early 90’s. .
Who ever said what Clinton did was right? He used his scholarship to avoid service while others went in his place. The point is that the current generation of Republicans act morally superior to Clinton when they did the exact same thing he did.

Originally posted by James1701

Actually the Post Office is one of the few Government departments that is supported solely by its own revenue. Federal Express charges far more than the Post Office for its services, thus it is able to provide a higher quality of service. However, the Post Office still carries the bulk of mail. A single letter still costs only $.37, a price Federal Express can't match.
Not sure that the FedEx / USPS charge for service is quite on target. I pay less for a FedEx overnight letter - reqular delivery not open of business - than for the similar USPS Express Mail next day letter. They are kinda close though. Haven't compared other rates e.g. packages etc.

Note that USPS has huge infrastructure - trucks, buildings that is tax fee - I think - and much of which was purchased befor quasi privatization. Of course, FedEx not encumbered with a Fed Emp Union.

justme

homo economicus
Apples and Oranges

It makes no sense to compare the USPO to FedEx. They're in completely different industries.

FedEx specializes in rapid delivery of packages and time sensitive letters.

The Post Office offers these services, but they're main product is delivery of small, non-time sensitive material at incredibly small prices (and yet Americans still bitch about 3 cent price increases) and with almost universal coverage (the post office maintains a large number of 'branches' that are ultimately unprofitable, but they're mission is to provide postal service to everyone in the United States).

One reason that the Post Office is quasi governmental is because the ability to communicate via post is seen as something of an entitlement. As a country, we do not want to end up with some large percentage of the rural population cut off from post service for profit reasons.

I send out over 4000 pieces of first class mail every month at less than $.35 per piece. For my $.35 cents I get reasonable delivery time (95% within a week), returns on failed deliveries (95% within a month) and address correction service. If we suppose (rather simplistically) that the post office gets a 33% break by not paying taxes, I still don't think any private delivery firm could offer that service at $.50 per piece. (Nor would they be interested).

And for the record, I use FedEx a lot for package service, but they end up screwing up my delivery a good 10% of the time (UPS is far worse). If you really want a good delivery company, use Airground Express.

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Agreed, they really are different businesses and I personally use ***** and fax more than either. However, I stand by my original point: "The level of government spending does not imply either efficiency or effectiveness."

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
If you want to get really pissed off, look at revenues vs. costs for the various classes of service from the USPS. The bulk mailers actually pay less than it costs to deliver the bulk mail, and first class and other services are used to support that shortfall..... that's right, we not only get the junk mail, but we pay for it as well.

justme

homo economicus
I send my 'bulk mail', first class (Actually Presort First Class Automation)

Adress correction service alone is worth the extra $.15 per piece.

God, I hate how much I know about mass mail outs.

But I deal extensively with the post office, and I will say there is a completely different level of service you get as a business customer

As far as the spending vs. productivity for government, I agree. I just think there are certain tasks that are inherently better suited for government or quasi government agencies - most of those tasks involve some notion of universal coverage.

SB - Interesting. Especially since there isn't a whole lot of alternative to presort standard (formarly known as 'bulk') out there.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Originally posted by justme
SB - Interesting. Especially since there isn't a whole lot of alternative to presort standard (formarly known as 'bulk') out there.
Well, I think one of the surest ways to squash any competion is to "predatory price" something. I think the Gov't has done this by offering bulk mail at less than cost. As such, it's not too surprising that there isn't any alternative.