Do MLB Players Really Use Steroids ????

In view of MLB's (and the player's union) newly announced steroid policy, I wanted to get members input on whether they thought the new policy was too tough, too lenient or perhaps just right ?? Any commentary you have on the subject is welcomed.

I think Bud Selig's second attempt is perhaps just right under current circumstances. The new program seems to have the proper balance of risk and penalties lacking in the first attempt. The US Congress was about to act anyway..so perhaps this came just in time and might actually work. Any other thoughts here ???

Does Major League Players use Steroids ?

Does a bear shit in the woods??

Is the pope Catholic ?

I think if they have true random testing year round as written in the new rules, there will be many more players caught this year than last.
The new rules are a step in the right direction.
Now if they can get some rule on some of the other substances like Human growth stuff.

biglarry1 said:
Does a bear shit in the woods??

Is the pope Catholic ?

I think if they have true random testing year round as written in the new rules, there will be many more players caught this year than last.
The new rules are a step in the right direction.
Now if they can get some rule on some of the other substances like Human growth stuff.
Human growth hormone isn't covered?

Also, does anybody know whether these are blood tests or urine tests, and do the players get any warning before their test date?

argleby said:
Human growth hormone isn't covered?

Also, does anybody know whether these are blood tests or urine tests, and do the players get any warning before their test date?
Steroids stay in the body for 2 years....but I think its random.

seeker6591 said:
Steroids stay in the body for 2 years....but I think its random.
Are you sure about that? My understanding was that it was a lot less.

I know the testing is random, but if they have warning, and if it's a urine test, it's pretty easy to fake.

Q. How long do steroids stay in your system?
A. The length of time that steroids stay in the body varies. Injected steroids may be detected in the body for 3 to 4 months while the oral types may remain for 1 to 4 weeks.

I have seen remarks that injectable steroids may stay in the body for 18 months or more but have never run across any scientific data to confirm such an allegation.

Ah yes, Congress. Is there any issue that these bastards don't think they have some God given right to stick their noses into? Someone please show me where the Constitution authorizes the Federal government to fight a "war on drugs" and/or dictate steroid use among professional athletes.

Do MLB Players Really Use Steroids ????

Uh, yeah. Bonds, a skinny kid with Pittsburgh at 185 pounds soaking wet, bulks up to 245 and suddenly has the power to hit balls into San Francisco Bay. He hits 73 homers in a season to set a new record. Sammy Sosa smacks 60 three times. Rafael Palmiero, another ordinary sized player, hits 500+ career homers. The real proof will be when these guys drop dead in a few years from heart or liver failure. They'll be magnificent physical specimens in their coffins. It was never more true was James Dean said: Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse.

seeker6591 said:
Hey SlickWilly,

What do you think...too tough...tough easy or just about right???
It's probably just about right. Three strikes and you're out. Reapply for reinstatement in two years and have to show you're clean. None of this Steve Howe "we'll give you as many chances as you want" shit.

seeker6591 said:
Hey argleby and wartboy,

Medical questions aside, what do you think...too tough...tough easy or just about right???
Well, it depends on whether it's blood or urine testing, whether or not they test for HGH, etc...

The answer is I don't know if it's tough enough or not. But it seems to be a big step in the right direction.

The simple point is that it took them too long to realize what was actually taking place. The current rule regarding use and the penalties is far better than the first one.

what a joke

so, do you think when the home run totals go down and the crowds stop showing up and no one watches on tv, will the owners then DEMAND that players start using steroids again? they're adults. if they want to kill themselves to put on a show, let them.

scoochamenz1 said:
so, do you think when the home run totals go down and the crowds stop showing up and no one watches on tv, will the owners then DEMAND that players start using steroids again? they're adults. if they want to kill themselves to put on a show, let them.
Exactly! Let baseball, baseball players and the fans decide how the steroid issue should be handled -- and get the damn government out of the game!

seeker6591 said:
In other words, steroids should be permitted in pro sports???
Steroids, like all drugs, should be available without prescription. In a free society, I should be able to do whatever the heck I want to do with/to my own body.

Last edited:
Integrity of the Records and Players

To me, the main purpose of enacting the new regulations and protocols has 2 major benefits:

1) To maintain the integrity of Baseball's records. Baseball prides itself on it's rich history, and the comparison of today's players with yester-years players. For instance, who is a better hitter, Ruth or Bonds, McGwire or Joe D, Etc....?

2) To gauge the real value and capability of the these players. I mean, how many players have you seen have a great year or 2 and then sign as a free agent, and then they suck balls? Remeber Roberto Alomar, Brady Anderson, Luis Gonzalez, Mo Vaughn, Jason Giambi?? All these guys were superstars at one point, and I am sure some were using steroids. They sign big deals and then bam, they suck or there body breaks down. Their contracts are gauranteed so unless they retire, like Mo Vaughn, the team gets no relief for signing a "fake" player. This should protect them somewhat.

The problem is, where do you draw the line to testing? Some say you have to test for HGH and I agree. But now the new stipulations call for bans on amphetamines, which according to most credible baseball sources, 90 % of the players use to "get up" for games. I think this is stupid. How many of us drink red bull, coffee, take a diet pill for energy or etc.. I took "energy pills" when I played and all it does is get you hyped for the game but it didn't give me any long lasting effect and no competetive advantage. This might be going too far in my opinion.

wartboy said:
Steroids, like all drugs, should be available without prescription. In a free society, I should be able to do whatever the heck I want to do with/to my own body.

Your right, but when you compete with someone else for a job or record and you cheat, it affects the other person or people. This is not about policing any one individual, it's about policing the game. Baseball is not a free society, it's a governed fraternity of athletes. Not everyone can get in, so they have a right and obligation to ensure everyone is on equal ground.

If you do steroids becuase you want to look good or lift more weight at the gym, then who cares? You are only hurting/cheating yourself. If you do roids and then enter an "All Natural" body building contest, then everyone cares.