Detox & Body Cleanse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I’d throw my two cents in here. In 2016 I weighed 220ish pounds, ate lots of junk food and fried food, and was pounding beer after beer, cocktail after cocktails whenever possible. I hadn’t had a weight problematic at all ever but being on medical leave and drinking a lot definitely made me put on some extra unnecessary pounds. Went to see a gastroenterologist who told me to lose some weight, gave me some omaprazole for my nausea/heartburn, did an endoscopy.

I made some drastic changes after that. I stopped eating meat (not preaching my diet on anyone at all, just saying what helped me— especially cutting out the red meats and fried chicken), I reduced my alcohol intake drastically (even tried quitting for good several times), went to the gym every day and did lots & lots of cardio (mostly running and whatnot). 3 months later I was down to 180lbs. Was feeling much better by the follow up appointment and my gastroenterologist even was shocked how much weight I lost and told me to stop losing weight! Well, I actually did lose more, but not necessarily in a healthy way. I overdid it at the gym, I fainted on an stationary bike with only 15min left to go, and I went to the ER for dehydration/exhaustion. I was the skinniest I had ever been (a low 145lb for a 6”2 male) but other factors were playing into the picture such as the stresses of moving into a new place, being sleep deprived, nothing in my stomach, etc. got back up to a healthier 160-170 like back when I was a freshman in college.

intermittent fasting has worked in my experience, dividing meals out through the day, exercise/sweating (I love going in the sauna after my workout to sweat out the extra bullshit), staying away from toxic food, drinks, not smoking, a nice green tea here and there instead of the ol’ black coffee that’d irritate my insides. I keep pedialyte in my fridge all the time now if I can’t keep plain water down, stuff is a lifesaver, rich in electrolytes. And the less medications or substances you consume, the far better off you’ll be in the short & long term.
Nice job, my friend.

And, although your iron-will is awe-inspiring, now that you accomplished what many others only pray for, and changed your health for the better, to continue so rigidly could be detrimental.

Give time to rest and relaxation to preserve your good health and accomplishments.

billyS

Reign of Terror
weight loss and more specifically lowered A1C levels.
Okay thanks.
It just seems five day fasting is a little extreme.
But I guess it depends how often you do it and more importantly what are your eating habits between fasts.

If you're doing periodic fasts so you can gourge and drink a lot between fasts I wouldn't image that would help your kidneys and liver in the long run.

Okay thanks.
It just seems five day fasting is a little extreme.....
Ya think?
From a gov study found in the NIH National Library of Medicine in the conclusion of the study : "increased net skeletal muscle breakdown and a trend towards a decrease in human skeletal muscle protein synthesis after 72 hours fasting. "

For those who care the title of the study by NIH was:
Fasting Increases Human Skeletal Muscle Net Phenylalanine Release and This Is Associated with Decreased mTOR Signaling

The study is a very hard read for anyone not educated in biotechnology.

Although the study was limited to 72 hours of fasting I would think that it is reasonable to assume that increased skeletal muscle breakdown would continue in days 4 and 5 of @Satisfied customer 's 5 day fast.

Okay thanks.
It just seems five day fasting is a little extreme.
But I guess it depends how often you do it and more importantly what are your eating habits between fasts.

If you're doing periodic fasts so you can gourge and drink a lot between fasts I wouldn't image that would help your kidneys and liver in the long run.
It’s actually quite simple and many are close to it without even realizing. For instance, finishing eating for the day at 7pm. Sleep all night, wake up, many rush out the door to work, now just don’t consume calories until 11am. There is your 16 hour fast right there. Now enjoy your calories from 11a-7p. That 16 hour stretch gives your body/digestive system a chance to rest. Think about your pancreas not having to push insulin during that long stretch. Many cultures have practiced this for centuries.

Keeping busy at work makes this a breeze for me. Many don’t even restrict total calories, they simply consume them during 8 hours.

It’s actually quite simple and many are close to it without even realizing. For instance, finishing eating for the day at 7pm. Sleep all night, wake up, many rush out the door to work, now just don’t consume calories until 11am. There is your 16 hour fast right there. Now enjoy your calories from 11a-7p. That 16 hour stretch gives your body/digestive system a chance to rest. Think about your pancreas not having to push insulin during that long stretch. Many cultures have practiced this for centuries.

Keeping busy at work makes this a breeze for me. Many don’t even restrict total calories, they simply consume them during 8 hours.
It's what I been doing for as long as I can remember. Not for any particular reason, it was just my lifestyle. Then I started reading about how healthy it is for you, most recently in Tony Robbin's book Life Force which is full of life extending tips and the science and technology of extending it that is just down the road.

Many do 16 hour fasts regularly as you say. For instance if I'm going to flushing other than a cup of black coffee I will skip breakfast such that I can take my V on an empty stomach as not to interfere with absorption of the drug.

However, the metabolic effects of 16 hour fast is completely different than that of a 5 day fast. Even when you eat on a regular schedule the metabolic function change depending on what you are doing. For example, if you are a runner you can literally feel you body switching from sugar burning mode to fat burning about 10 minutes into the run. I'm not sure if its a good idea to screw around with those functions with a 5 day fast.

As far as giving your pancreas a rest (you put it as "not having to push insulin during that long stretch") — what makes you think that the pancreas benefits from that? Maybe there is more stress on it from being switched on an off than maintaining a constant activity (IDK). Plus some organs of the body are built as not to require rest; the heart and lungs come to mind.

Many do 16 hour fasts regularly as you say. For instance if I'm going to flushing other than a cup of black coffee I will skip breakfast such that I can take my V on an empty stomach as not to interfere with absorption of the drug.

However, the metabolic effects of 16 hour fast is completely different than that of a 5 day fast. Even when you eat on a regular schedule the metabolic function change depending on what you are doing. For example, if you are a runner you can literally feel you body switching from sugar burning mode to fat burning about 10 minutes into the run. I'm not sure if its a good idea to screw around with those functions with a 5 day fast.

As far as giving your pancreas a rest (you put it as "not having to push insulin during that long stretch") — what makes you think that the pancreas benefits from that? Maybe there is more stress on it from being switched on an off than maintaining a constant activity (IDK). Plus some organs of the body are built as not to require rest; the heart and lungs come to mind.
We e picked up a few guys that passed out over the years. You definitely need to know what you’re doing to go 5 days fast

Elite medical journals and doctors speak to the benefits of fasting to improve insulin resistance. You’ll have to take it up with them.

I mentioned intermittent fasting as something that can be a lifestyle.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...ttent-fasting-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work

I never did more than 24 hours myself due to my food interests but when working at the hospital I knew several providers that would do multi day fasts every quarter of the year. Usually vitamins, water, broths, and teas.

Elite medical journals and doctors speak to the benefits of fasting to improve insulin resistance. You’ll have to take it up with them.

I mentioned intermittent fasting as something that can be a lifestyle.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...ttent-fasting-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work

I never did more than 24 hours myself due to my food interests but when working at the hospital I knew several providers that would do multi day fasts every quarter of the year. Usually vitamins, water, broths, and teas.
I once did 7 days, water only. But, it was supervised by a doctor, in a natural environment up in the Catskills.

I was with many other people. Some were going for a month. You had camaraderie. There were no computers or social media at that time. We grouped together outside on the lawns and talked about many things.

I was an overweight teenager back in the 70’s and needed fasting and retraining. The MD took your blood pressure throughout the day. We walked, exercised, sunbathed. It was not so difficult. We drank boiled water all day in coffee mugs, as if we were in a coffee house. It was quite natural, and fun. Good people.

If you were not able to deal with it emotionally, you could leave and get your money back, or they would give you a celery stick. A very few went AWOL, and had a snack. Most stuck to the program. After 7 days, you broke the fast with a salad. Tasted great. It was enough. The next day, a baked potato. You felt stuffed. You learned that you could survive on much less and without coffee and tea, caffeine, drugs, alcohol.

People have been fasting for thousands of years. Yogis fast for extended periods and live very long and active healthy lives and become very strong, and sleep very little.

Very often, it is a yogi tradition to decide when they will leave their body. With their body in perfect health, they will teach their students, and then at the end of the lesson, advise their students to carefully watch the process of their breathing and concentration, whereby the yogi uses his will to return the body that came from the earth, back to the earth. (so called death) The yogi instructs prior to surrendering the body, what to do with the remains. The yogi leaves at an exact specified hour. Their leaving is peaceful and happy, without confusion and mystery.

It is not a matter of being forced out of a sick body that cannot support life. They choose consciously to leave. They are masters of their own destiny. They fast extensively and retrain their bodies to act as they direct, not what a person with a degree dictates.

I have met very thin, very strong yogis in the Himalayas along the glacial rivers. And, we drank only ancient glacial runoff water, extremely pure and high in minerals, very cold and sandy. I had no intention to hike and fast, but food was nowhere. No 7/11’s up there for a quick bite. Meat is outlawed.

Your body resets. Hunger comes as an idea, and the stomach may rumble. You let the thought, emotion and body reaction pass. Then your body resets. You feel strong again and you move on. You experience life not governed by the popular science of the day which changes constantly.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I once did 7 days, water only. But, it was supervised by a doctor, in a natural environment up in the Catskills.

I was with many other people. Some were going for a month. You had camaraderie. There were no computers or social media at that time. We grouped together outside on the lawns and talked about many things.

I was an overweight teenager back in the 70’s and needed fasting and retraining. The MD took your blood pressure throughout the day. We walked, exercised, sunbathed. It was not so difficult. We drank boiled water all day in coffee mugs, as if we were in a coffee house. It was quite natural, and fun. Good people.

If you were not able to deal with it emotionally, you could leave and get your money back, or they would give you a celery stick. A very few went AWOL, and had a snack. Most stuck to the program. After 7 days, you broke the fast with a salad. Tasted great. It was enough. The next day, a baked potato. You felt stuffed. You learned that you could survive on much less and without coffee and tea, caffeine, drugs, alcohol.

People have been fasting for thousands of years. Yogis fast for extended periods and live very long and active healthy lives and become very strong, and sleep very little.

Very often, it is a yogi tradition to decide when they will leave their body. With their body in perfect health, they will teach their students, and then at the end of the lesson, advise their students to carefully watch the process of their breathing and concentration, whereby the yogi uses his will to return the body that came from the earth, back to the earth. (so called death) The yogi instructs prior to surrendering the body, what to do with the remains. The yogi leaves at an exact specified hour. Their leaving is peaceful and happy, without confusion and mystery.

It is not a matter of being forced out of a sick body that cannot support life. They choose consciously to leave. They are masters of their own destiny. They fast extensively and retrain their bodies to act as they direct, not what a person with a degree dictates.

I have met very thin, very strong yogis in the Himalayas along the glacial rivers. And, we drank only ancient glacial runoff water, extremely pure and high in minerals, very cold and sandy. I had no intention to hike and fast, but food was nowhere. No 7/11’s up there for a quick bite. Meat is outlawed.

Your body resets. Hunger comes as an idea, and the stomach may rumble. You let the thought, emotion and body reaction pass. Then your body resets. You feel strong again and you move on. You experience life not governed by the popular science of the day which changes constantly.
I recently was able to get back into yoga and the instructor I now have is very much into the mind over matter aspect and not letting your body quit in certain poses. I'm trying very hard to concentrate and get past the pain but I'm also distracted by her. Thin and attractive I find myself daydreaming of fucking her in the ass.

Elite medical journals and doctors speak to the benefits of fasting to improve insulin resistance. You’ll have to take it up with them.....
There is nothing to take up "with them" as I know of these studies and as I posted I go 16 hours fasting a couple of times a week when I go to Flushing to take "V" on an empty stomach.

What I also said was: "However, the metabolic effects of 16 hour fast is completely different than that of a 5 day fast "

The benefits of intermittent fasting to improve insulin resistance are well know and published by NIH.

From one such report: :" Intermittent fasting diets have certain therapeutic effects on blood glucose and lipids in patients with metabolic syndrome and significantly improve insulin resistance. It may be considered as an auxiliary treatment to prevent the occurrence and development of chronic diseases. "

However the NIH studies are on "alternate-day fasting (consuming no calories on fasting days), alternate day-modified fasting (consuming less than 25% of caloric requirements on fasting days), time-restricted fasting (restricting food intake at specific times of the day), and periodic fasting (fasting on one to two days per week)

Note that there is nothing noted even close to 5 days fasts

…and then there are breatharians. They never eat. And, some take no water. The air sustains them. They also discuss prana or qi, the invisible energy of the Universe, as the means of imparting vitality to their systems. They are a minority, but they do exist, breatharians. (good luck with science trying to fit them into their system)

Just as different man-made vehicles such as: cars, trucks, planes, rockets require different types of fuel to propel them, humans are no different.

As a human being, you are able to adapt in myriad ways for survival.

We mainly focus on the common variety of human beings, eating three square meals a day. Some are vegetarians of many varieties. Some only eat fruit. Most vegetarians eat grains and beans as their staple.

Other human beings need meat, eggs, dairy, seafood.

But, there are those that are able to refine their diets to suit their needs, and find that too much food in their system causes health concerns.

Quite possibly, when a human being is young, they require a greater quantity of food and nutrition to establish a firm body structure. And, once that structure is fully erected, great quantities of food as building material for the body structure, is no longer needed and can be detrimental.

In adult life, food becomes more like fuel to maintain, rather than food used as building material.

…and then there are breatharians. They never eat. And, some take no water. The air sustains them. They also discuss prana or qi, the invisible energy of the Universe, as the means of imparting vitality to their systems. They are a minority, but they do exist, breatharians. (good luck with science trying to fit them into their system)

Just as different man-made vehicles such as: cars, trucks, planes, rockets require different types of fuel to propel them, humans are no different.

As a human being, you are able to adapt in myriad ways for survival.

We mainly focus on the common variety of human beings, eating three square meals a day. Some are vegetarians of many varieties. Some only eat fruit. Most vegetarians eat grains and beans as their staple.

Other human beings need meat, eggs, dairy, seafood.

But, there are those that are able to refine their diets to suit their needs, and find that too much food in their system causes health concerns.

Quite possibly, when a human being is young, they require a greater quantity of food and nutrition to establish a firm body structure. And, once that structure is fully erected, great quantities of food as building material for the body structure, is no longer needed and can be detrimental.

In adult life, food becomes more like fuel to maintain, rather than food used as building material.
Without water and some sort of nourishment what kind of mongering would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.