Detox & Body Cleanse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some talk lately of the benefits of a body cleanse or detox.

Healthy eating and exercise of course is the solution to feeling well, but looking for a jumpstart

Thoughts?
Experiences?

Some talk lately of the benefits of a body cleanse or detox.

Healthy eating and exercise of course is the solution to feeling well, but looking for a jumpstart

Thoughts?
Experiences?
Something so basic and easy, and no danger whatsoever, start your morning with fresh squeezed lime (lemon is a second choice) in some previously boiled, but not piping hot water. A little good quality honey can be added. Good to cleanse kidneys and liver.

Especially in these hot days, lime (lemon) water throughout your day and on your food, like in salad dressings, squeezed on veggies and fish.

This will help to alkalize your system. Plenty of antioxidants.

Many cuisines use fresh lime juice freely: Mediterranean diets, Mexican, Vietnamese, et cetera.

One warning is to not use lime/lemon full strength or too strong directly on your teeth. It could wear away the enamel. Diluted is fine. Brush your teeth or rinse with clear water.

Lime/lemon, of course, is high in vitamin C, ascorbic acid, fights bacteria, detoxes, helps to form collagen, bone, teeth, connective tissue, skin, capillaries.

Oddly enough, it is an acid, but leaves your blood ph slightly alkaline.

High acidity in your system is very welcoming for pathogens to thrive.

If you are basically healthy, this is a simple good practice.

PS: @billyS, thank you for the referral. Hope and pray that all is well, and that you are thriving, as always.

I always liked the lemonade diet or cleanse. Lemons, water, cayenne pepper, and maple syrup. You can look it up on Amazon or online to learn more. Some people make herbs to go along with the 21 day cleanse. Best of luck in your cleanse.

A lot of people see great results from fasting. Some will consume only water and soup broth for 1,2,3 even 5 days straight periodically. Many just do 16 hours of only water or unsweetened coffee and then 8 hours of eating, for 5 out of 7 days a week.
Gives your body a rest from producing insulin during these non calorie times, allows your body to consume some fat for energy, reduce free radicals etc.

billyS

Reign of Terror
A lot of people see great results from fasting. Some will consume only water and soup broth for 1,2,3 even 5 days straight periodically. Many just do 16 hours of only water or unsweetened coffee and then 8 hours of eating, for 5 out of 7 days a week.
Gives your body a rest from producing insulin during these non calorie times, allows your body to consume some fat for energy, reduce free radicals etc.
What kind of "results" are you talking about?
Weight loss?

Honestly all that "cleanse" stuff is bullshit.
That is what your liver is for.
But, your liver can become toxic from overwork, especially with excessive alcohol, chemicals, heavy fats, overly processed foods, trans fats, drugs, both scripts and street.

Its ability to function well is diminished. The liver, and other organs might need attention by way of cleansing through simple abstinence due to a toxic overload which can cause enlargement.

if more extreme and one does not have the patience and discipline of abstaining from a more toxic diet and lifestyle, then one should consult a professional of their choosing to target the necessary imbalance and healing.

Daily maintenance is most important, a healthy lifestyle. If one is noticing a sluggishness in the system, it is best to nip it at the bud, as soon as possible to avoid progression and crisis.

Healing professionals and intelligent physicians, if chosen wisely, ofttimes can accelerate the healing and balancing process, allowing you to return to your prime self.

You must choose a professional that is truly in sync with your system and you work together well with for your optimal benefit.

Sometimes a little prayer and meditation can either heal you or create a calmness in you where you are able to follow and intuit the best possible direction for your optimal health.

There is a wisdom within you that will always lead you. It is 100% for you and your benefit. Some call it The Still Small Voice. It can inform your intellect and lead you on the best pathway. It is most important to follow that wellspring of intuitional guidance that we all have, without exception

Thought I’d throw my two cents in here. In 2016 I weighed 220ish pounds, ate lots of junk food and fried food, and was pounding beer after beer, cocktail after cocktails whenever possible. I hadn’t had a weight problematic at all ever but being on medical leave and drinking a lot definitely made me put on some extra unnecessary pounds. Went to see a gastroenterologist who told me to lose some weight, gave me some omaprazole for my nausea/heartburn, did an endoscopy.

I made some drastic changes after that. I stopped eating meat (not preaching my diet on anyone at all, just saying what helped me— especially cutting out the red meats and fried chicken), I reduced my alcohol intake drastically (even tried quitting for good several times), went to the gym every day and did lots & lots of cardio (mostly running and whatnot). 3 months later I was down to 180lbs. Was feeling much better by the follow up appointment and my gastroenterologist even was shocked how much weight I lost and told me to stop losing weight! Well, I actually did lose more, but not necessarily in a healthy way. I overdid it at the gym, I fainted on an stationary bike with only 15min left to go, and I went to the ER for dehydration/exhaustion. I was the skinniest I had ever been (a low 145lb for a 6”2 male) but other factors were playing into the picture such as the stresses of moving into a new place, being sleep deprived, nothing in my stomach, etc. got back up to a healthier 160-170 like back when I was a freshman in college.

intermittent fasting has worked in my experience, dividing meals out through the day, exercise/sweating (I love going in the sauna after my workout to sweat out the extra bullshit), staying away from toxic food, drinks, not smoking, a nice green tea here and there instead of the ol’ black coffee that’d irritate my insides. I keep pedialyte in my fridge all the time now if I can’t keep plain water down, stuff is a lifesaver, rich in electrolytes. And the less medications or substances you consume, the far better off you’ll be in the short & long term.

Honestly all that "cleanse" stuff is bullshit.
That is what your liver is for.
I purposely refrained from commenting on this subject up until your post.
You summed up my view on it perfectly.

IMHO, the only way to detoxify is to not toxify in the first place:; exercise, do not smoke, control alcohol consumption; eat a mostly plant based diet.

Its, that simple.

If you want to get good information on everything (and more) discussed in this thread, i.e., information based on scientific studies,
pick up (its in your public library or by it), the book: How Not To Die by Michael Greger, M.D.
You can also sign on to his Blog at nutritionFacts.org

Ps. McD's french fries, onion rings, and white wheat buns are not part of a good plant based diet.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I purposely refrained from commenting on this subject up until your post.
You summed up my view on it perfectly.

IMHO, the only way to detoxify is to not toxify in the first place:; exercise, do not smoke, control alcohol consumption; eat a mostly plant based diet.

Its, that simple.

If you want to get good information on everything (and more) discussed in this thread, i.e., information based on scientific studies,
pick up (its in your public library or by it), the book: How Not To Die by Michael Greger, M.D.
You can also sign on to his Blog at nutritionFacts.org

Ps. McD's french fries, onion rings, and white wheat buns are not part of a good plant based diet.
So many people want a short cut to weight loss they will buy into any theory that promises unbelievable results with minimal effort.

When I said cleanse was bullshit I'm mainly referring to all these concoctions being hawked online and infomercials by celebrities and "experts"

These cleanses fall into the same category as fad diets. Both are unsustainable and in some cases dangerous.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Thought I’d throw my two cents in here. In 2016 I weighed 220ish pounds, ate lots of junk food and fried food, and was pounding beer after beer, cocktail after cocktails whenever possible. I hadn’t had a weight problematic at all ever but being on medical leave and drinking a lot definitely made me put on some extra unnecessary pounds. Went to see a gastroenterologist who told me to lose some weight, gave me some omaprazole for my nausea/heartburn, did an endoscopy.

I made some drastic changes after that. I stopped eating meat (not preaching my diet on anyone at all, just saying what helped me— especially cutting out the red meats and fried chicken), I reduced my alcohol intake drastically (even tried quitting for good several times), went to the gym every day and did lots & lots of cardio (mostly running and whatnot). 3 months later I was down to 180lbs. Was feeling much better by the follow up appointment and my gastroenterologist even was shocked how much weight I lost and told me to stop losing weight! Well, I actually did lose more, but not necessarily in a healthy way. I overdid it at the gym, I fainted on an stationary bike with only 15min left to go, and I went to the ER for dehydration/exhaustion. I was the skinniest I had ever been (a low 145lb for a 6”2 male) but other factors were playing into the picture such as the stresses of moving into a new place, being sleep deprived, nothing in my stomach, etc. got back up to a healthier 160-170 like back when I was a freshman in college.

intermittent fasting has worked in my experience, dividing meals out through the day, exercise/sweating (I love going in the sauna after my workout to sweat out the extra bullshit), staying away from toxic food, drinks, not smoking, a nice green tea here and there instead of the ol’ black coffee that’d irritate my insides. I keep pedialyte in my fridge all the time now if I can’t keep plain water down, stuff is a lifesaver, rich in electrolytes. And the less medications or substances you consume, the far better off you’ll be in the short & long term.
Congratulations on finding a happy medium..

Your cautionary tale is a common one, that of over compensation.

One thing I would recommend is you add resistance training to your routine.
You don't have to strive to look like a body builder but weight lifting has it's benefits for an older adult. It helps fight bone density loss, lessening your chance of breaking bones in a fall as a senior.
Also, what most people don't realize is that it also has cardio and weight loss benefits.

If your on Instagram follow the site Squat University. A lot of good information.

So many people want a short cut to weight loss they will buy into any theory that promises unbelievable results with minimal effort.

When I said cleanse was bullshit I'm mainly referring to all these concoctions being hawked online and infomercials by celebrities and "experts"

These cleanses fall into the same category as fad diets. Both are unsustainable and in some cases dangerous.
One of the benefits of building muscle mass in your body (besides the obvious of looking better, better control of motion, balance, continued independence as we age, etc @billyS summed it up in post #17) is that other than your brain, muscles are the big contributors of metabolic calorie expenditure even while you are sleeping or just lying around. In addition maintaining (and even better increasing) muscle mass is a good way to reduce gaining weight as they get older.

That said, fasting or greatly reducing calorie intake results in losing both fat and muscle mass (the body resorts to consuming both to make up the missing calories needed to stay alive. You will have less muscle mass than when you started

Thus when you have lost the desired weight and return to your pre-diet eating habits you will gain back fat faster than before as you will have less muscle to burn calories and have to diet again, i.e., yo-yo dieting i.e

It is that simple.

After posting my initial question, I spent some time researching various cleanse products —-

Yep, I see the light here….

There do not seem to be any convincing arguments on these items - Healthy eating and exercise makes most sense

Status
Not open for further replies.