Deodorant Dilemma............

.... I am afraid of harmful chemicals like alumininum ....
With all due respect Emily, what makes you think it is harmful? Do you have any data?

You do know that aluminum is the most common metal on earth and the third most common element (oxygen, silicon are 1 and 2) so it is pretty hard to avoid. Since it is literally everywhere I would think (I’m just guessing now) that it would be difficult to correlate the presence of aluminum with any particular disease.

I agree with you as far as the animal testing , as it is performed now, w/o concern to the animals suffering.

Last edited:
With all due respect Emily, what makes you think it is harmful? Do you have any data?

You do know that aluminum is the most common metal on earth and the third most common element (oxygen, silicon are 1 and 2) so it is pretty hard to avoid. Since it is literally everywhere I would think (I’m just guessing now) that it would be difficult to correlate the presence of aluminum with any particular disease.

I agree with you as far as the animal testing , as it is performed now, w/o concern to the animals suffering.
I have heard about the dangers regarding aluminum and other harmful chemicals in deodorant for so long it's hard to ignore. Can it all be a mass conspiracy? I am not that naive to believe something I heard or read once but several times over many years, I tend to start believing it. I read some books regarding chemicals that is used in beauty products as research and most of the things on the label of synthetic deodorant are known to be toxic, not just aluminum. there are many things are around us but it's the way that we use them that makes us dangerous. Most companies change the chemical names around or use abbreviations so you can't even find out what the hell it is, I have a glossary of synthetic chemicals and can't find half the things on the label of your average deodorant. I started this thread because I like to share when I discover a new product, it's not the first time I have done this. If you don't think the stuff you put on your body is toxic or destroying the enviroment you are in good company because most of the world thinks that way, this thread was started to share a new product to the few that don't and want to use things that are completely safe.

Last edited:
I have heard about the dangers regarding aluminum and other harmful chemicals in deodorant for so long it's hard to ignore. Can it all be a mass conspiracy?...
It's not a mass conspiracy, but it might as well be. By publishing results that suggest X is bad for you, academics are able to solicit more funding -- and they are always trying to obtain more grant money. Similarly there is money to be made selling "natural" products, so organizations that market homeopathic / holistic / natural goods will fund academics to do more studies. Look at eggs, they were bad, now they are good. Now it seems trans fats are the latest problem. I take the approach that if it's encountered naturally, it's more than likely something our bodies can deal with (I guess radium is a notable exception).

As for me, as an example, I buy organic milk, but more because I am hoping the cows are treated better. There are very good reasons to distrust our government as far as products which are marketed despite known cancer risks (any meat with nitrites come to mind). It is true that pharmaceutical companies will market less effective compounds in order to gain income from royalties, royalties which would be unavailable from a compound which is readily available say within certain foods or herbs. Still doctors have been coming across real problems from herbal remedies doing nasty things like causing heart damage. So much for "natural" chemicals.

It's not a mass conspiracy, but it might as well be. By publishing results that suggest X is bad for you, academics are able to solicit more funding -- and they are always trying to obtain more grant money. Similarly there is money to be made selling "natural" products, so organizations that market homeopathic / holistic / natural goods will fund academics to do more studies. Look at eggs, they were bad, now they are good. Now it seems trans fats are the latest problem. I take the approach that if it's encountered naturally, it's more than likely something our bodies can deal with (I guess radium is a notable exception).

As for me, as an example, I buy organic milk, but more because I am hoping the cows are treated better. There are very good reasons to distrust our government as far as products which are marketed despite known cancer risks (any meat with nitrites come to mind). It is true that pharmaceutical companies will market less effective compounds in order to gain income from royalties, royalties which would be unavailable from a compound which is readily available say within certain foods or herbs. Still doctors have been coming across real problems from herbal remedies doing nasty things like causing heart damage. So much for "natural" chemicals.

I think what matters is what you like, I drink organic milk because it just tastes better. The more natural products and foods I use and consume the more I can tell the difference. I hate synthetic chemical smells especially in deodorant. I would rather smell natural BO or nothing at all after a long hot day then some weird synthetic chemical mixed with sweat. I know not all natural is good for you, for example most essential oils have warnings if you are pregnant, kidney problem, ect. We have to just start being smarter consumers but that takes money and time which most people do not want to invest. It's easier for most to go to Costco and buy a cheap product in bulk then thoughtfully shop with label reading, comparing products and internet reasearch.

One of the best ways to control BO is a Russian sauna. Head to the Russian & Turkish Baths on 10th once or twice a week. Sit in 200 degree plus dry heat for 10 minutes; dunk in cold pool; repeat till exhausted. Finish up with a sit in the even hotter Turkish steam room. Its an intense workout for skin - the largest organ.

One of the best ways to control BO is a Russian sauna. Head to the Russian & Turkish Baths on 10th once or twice a week. Sit in 200 degree plus dry heat for 10 minutes; dunk in cold pool; repeat till exhausted. Finish up with a sit in the even hotter Turkish steam room. Its an intense workout for skin - the largest organ.
If you want to keep BO to a minimum, then you should drink lots of liquids and eat a diet high in fiber so as maintain a high rate of urination and frequent bowl movements. That is how the body is supposed to cleanse itself, not through the skin.

............like poison ivy
Yes, poison ivy is a good example, because your body reacts rapidly to the catechols by producing blisters, this stands in stark contrast to something like benzene which persists in the liver for years. As my organic professor explained, without functional groups on it for the bodies enzymes to "grab", compounds such as benzene are free to intercolate within our DNA helices and other delicate areas, eventually leading to cancer.

You are too clever!

Last edited:
Oh, no!
You haven't been using too much deodorant with aluminum in it I hope.

What Dave was referring to was the original Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz. They applied aluminum powder to his face as makeup each day. After a week or so of breathing the fine power into his lungs he ended up with breathing difficulties and almost died.

This has absolutely no relationship to aluminum salts used in deodorants and I would assume Dave knows better.

Last edited:
Oh, no!
You haven't been using too much deodorant with aluminum in it I hope.

What Dave was referring to was the original Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz. They applied aluminum powder to his face as makeup each day. After a week or so of breathing the fine power into his lungs he ended up with breathing difficulties and almost died.

This has absolutely no relationship to aluminum salts used in deodorants and I would assume Dave knows better.
The difference between breathing, or digesting aluminum and putting on your skin is that when you breath or digest it, it goes inside your body, when you apply deodorants containing aluminum, the aluminum stays outside your body, where it can't really harm you. When you shower or bath, you wash it off. Your skin offers excellent protection against toxic substances.

Yes, poison ivy is a good example, because your body reacts rapidly to the catechols by producing blisters, this stands in stark contrast to something like benzene which persists in the liver for years. As my organic professor explained, without functional groups on it for the bodies enzymes to "grab", compounds such as benzene are free to intercolate within our DNA helices and other delicate areas, eventually leading to cancer.

You are too clever!
Is that SN1 or SN2 ?