Deodorant Dilemma............

I don't know if many have this problem but I could not seem to find the right deodorant. I am afraid of harmful chemicals like alumininum but the organic ones just did not seem to work. I have tried them almost all the health food store, they seemed promising at first but let me down after a few hours. I was ordering Fa spray pump in glass bottle from the company which is now discontinued (they stopped carrying it in stores a while ago). It was okay and smelled nice but still too chemical. You can also forget about wearing a light colored shirt also, those yellow stains do not come out.

The other week I was doing my usual consumer duties, looking at labels, comparing ingredients and came across this product claiming no harmful chemicals, fragrance free, 24 hour protection. It was a few bucks so I gave it a sceptical try. To my amazement it worked great, I could not believe it. It contains only pharmaceutical grade salt minerals (I looked it up and it seems to be a patented combination) and purified water. I highly recommend this product to anyone who is also weary of chemicals but wants protection from odor. I added a few drops of Roman Chamomille and Lavender essential oil in the spray mist bottle but it works without anything. You can basically make any scent combination you like by adding a few drops essential oils to the product.

Here is the web site to the company - I have only used the spray mist so not sure about thier other products.

http://www.tccd.com/images/mainpic_optima.jpg

Last edited:
Emily, when you say harmful, do you mean to you or to the environment?
Some experts say the aluminum can cause brain disorders and breast cancer, nothing is proven but it's better to avoid these chemicals if possible. I believe it's only the aerosol sprays that are suspecting in enviroment problems. I never use aerosol spray so I am more concerned about the personal health issues. I did use aluminium deodorant because I could not find a safe but effective alternative until recently and the only one I liked is now discontinued.

I watched this documentary regarding aluminium siding and PVC and how it is linked to cancer. Apparently the city of St Charles where they make PVC has a very high unusually cancer rate. In Italy there was a class action lawsuit from the widows of aluminium factory workers.

I use roll-on. Have for decades. The sticks leave that clumpy residue. Also no cfc's. Aluminum has been linked to Alzheimers. But I still drink soda out of a can.

Emily -
I use crystal deodorants as I have concerns about chemicals as well. But it never occured to me to add a fragrance to the spray bottle. Thanks for that tip! :)

As a guy with a chemistry degree, and an MS in a chemistry related field, I am not swayed by some of these claims of problems related to "chemicals". PVC is most likely bad for you, aluminum though... well the pollution is NYC most likely swamps out any risk from such a light and common element. It's like worrying about lead poisoning when a bullet gets lodged in your chest.

The organic movement has people sold on all sorts of things like bottled water -- most likely higher in bacteria than tap water, and containing plasticizers from the bottle itself. I don't mean to be all high and mighty about this, but it is true that a lot of harmless chemicals sound nasty, or are only nasty in high concentrations (like (E)-3-phenylprop-2-enal). We are after all composed entirely of chemicals ourselves.

when I was in high school our chemistry teacher challenged us to come up with anything that is used by people that does not involve chemistry in some way ... it was hard to come up with anything that did not involve chemistry

when I was in high school our chemistry teacher challenged us to come up with anything that is used by people that does not involve chemistry in some way ... it was hard to come up with anything that did not involve chemistry
My last girlfriend. No chemistry at all...

The operative word in Emily's original post is "harmful" chemicals.

I don't know if many have this problem but I could not seem to find the right deodorant. I am afraid of harmful chemicals like alumininum but the organic ones just did not seem to work. I have tried them almost all the health food store, they seemed promising at first but let me down after a few hours. I was ordering Fa spray pump in glass bottle from the company which is now discontinued (they stopped carrying it in stores a while ago). It was okay and smelled nice but still too chemical. You can also forget about wearing a light colored shirt also, those yellow stains do not come out.

The other week I was doing my usual consumer duties, looking at labels, comparing ingredients and came across this product claiming no harmful chemicals, fragrance free, 24 hour protection. It was a few bucks so I gave it a sceptical try. To my amazement it worked great, I could not believe it. It contains only pharmaceutical grade salt minerals (I looked it up and it seems to be a patented combination) and purified water. I highly recommend this product to anyone who is also weary of chemicals but wants protection from odor. I added a few drops of Roman Chamomille and Lavender essential oil in the spray mist bottle but it works without anything. You can basically make any scent combination you like by adding a few drops essential oils to the product.

Here is the web site to the company - I have only used the spray mist so not sure about thier other products.

http://www.tccd.com/images/mainpic_optima.jpg
As we never heard about any problems with any name brand deodorant, why are you so worried?. I, like millions of others have used name brand deodorants, with out any problems, I think you worry too much.

As we never heard about any problems with any name brand deodorant, why are you so worried?. I, like millions of others have used name brand deodorants, with out any problems, I think you worry too much.
Who says there's no problems?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3383393.stm

From Article said:
Concern over deodorant chemicals

Chemicals from underarm deodorants and other cosmetics can build up inside the body, according to a study.
British researchers have found traces of chemicals called parabens in tissue taken from women with breast cancer.

While there is no evidence they cause cancer, the scientists have called for the use of parabens to be reviewed.
[SNIP]

From Article said:
Their tests suggested the chemicals had seeped into the tissue after being applied to the skin.
"This is the first study to show their accumulation in human tissues," said Dr Darbre.

"It demonstrates that if people are exposed to these chemicals, then the chemicals will accumulate in their bodies."

'Drive tumours'

Dr Darbre said there may be reason for people to be concerned about the findings.

"Their detection in human breast tumours is of concern since parabens have been shown to be able to mimic the action of the female hormone oestrogen," she said.

"Oestrogen can drive the growth of human breast tumours. It would therefore seem especially prudent to consider whether parabens should continue to be used in such a wide range of cosmetics applied to the breast area including deodorants."
It seems prudent for someone concerned about their health to consider not using deodorants that have these chemicals in them.

Last edited:
I have a friend who works at the morgue. One way to determine the likelihood of a corpse being male of female, or rather the gender of the body containing the internal organs -- is to to a GC (Gas Chromatography) analysis of the liver. The perfumes which a woman applies build up in the liver. It makes no difference if these perfumes are "natural" or not; the esters and ketones still lodge in the fatty tissues. So the best bet is to stay away from all scents, as there is no real distinction between "natural" and synthetic. Certainly some chemicals are less toxic than others, but this notion of a "natural" essence -- well it's pure romance.