Coronavirus: The Sick Elephant In The Room

billyS

Reign of Terror
I can honestly say I haven't seen any of this and I've been in 3 of the 5 boros and Nassau and Suffolk since Monday. I went into a bank, no issues. Actually found a bar "serving" supermarkets, no issue.
I was in a bank today, no issues.

Mod warning:
Let's follow the same rules in this thread as we do in reviews. First hand and verifiable information only.
No more "I heard from a source" and no more links from these Conspiracy website.
I get it that the major news Networks are politically bias but when they report on something like this they seem to be a little more accountable.

There is already too much fear mongering and spreading of false information on social media which is what led to the hoarding.
So since I do have a little control of what is post here, going forward I'm asking everyone to stick to facts

Also be careful about political rants or rants that might trigger a political debate.

I will close this thread if necessary.

One point, I heard which scared me the most:
"Four out of five people who got Coronavirus, got it from someone who did not know they had it." - Dr. Sanjay Kupta

This underscores the need for social distancing, for this highly contagious virus.

I was in a bank today, no issues.

Mod warning:
Let's follow the same rules in this thread as we do in reviews. First hand and verifiable information only.
No more "I heard from a source" and no more links from these Conspiracy website.
I get it that the major news Networks are politically bias but when they report on something like this they seem to be a little more accountable.

There is already too much fear mongering and spreading of false information on social media which is what led to the hoarding.
So since I do have a little control of what is post here, going forward I'm asking everyone to stick to facts

Also be careful about political rants or rants that might trigger a political debate.

I will close this thread if necessary.
Hear hear...!

“Greatest country“? That sort of depends on the metric being measured. Not in many forms of tech, medical, or certain industries. Once upon a time, but not currently.

Like you I prefer fact driven assessment, and that simply what is. One of the greatest, probably still the case. The greatest overall, maybe not. (Not going to be able to bring back the luster until we admit it’s tarnished and needs shining up).
Well, I'll be the only patriot here then, and say, I still believe it's greatest country on the planet...
USA! USA! USA!

We should all believe this came from eating snakes and bats? It's just a coincidence that Italy is being overrun with this virus, and all the immigrant workers from China in the northern part of Italy (The epicenter of all this) were ALL healthy. Didn't this virus originate in China?

Conspiracy or not, China is involved in this somehow. We need to eradicate this before our economy completely collapses. Wouldn't the Chinese LOVE that?
I don't know what the stats are but do remember that China "shuts down" from like mid-January until about now in some cases for Chinese New Year activities. That's a lot of people moving around including people "going home" in order to celebrate not just inter-China but intra-China. Don't know how this effected things or not.

I can honestly say I haven't seen any of this and I've been in 3 of the 5 boros and Nassau and Suffolk since Monday. I went into a bank, no issues. Actually found a bar "serving" supermarkets, no issue.
I've seen a few banks in Brooklyn and Queens since about Friday apparently doing crowd control. In some cases it meant lines out the door and people standing on the street. It *looks* like a bank run and hopefully people don't think it is one.

I guess it’s madness to see a provider in Flushing now? Nyincall says something like “epidemic break” for many ads. But there are plenty that don’t appear to be closed although it might be a different story when one calls or texts.

The first people getting sick in China was in mid-December. It was reported by China to the rest of the world on New Year's Eve after having enough time to analyze the new strain. A pretty quick turn around.

In January Chinese researchers made available the sequencing of the coronavirus so the rest of the world had a leg up on it on researching it and developing treatments for it.

Is it possible that China released this coronavirus and in the process suffered great economic losses, locking down entire cities (larger than NY), 3,400 deaths, their public losing faith in their leadership, all so that they could hamper their biggest buyer?

Believe what you will. But have some facts to base your thoughts and opinions on.

The first people getting sick in China was in mid-December. It was reported by China to the rest of the world on New Year's Eve after having enough time to analyze the new strain. A pretty quick turn around.

In January Chinese researchers made available the sequencing of the coronavirus so the rest of the world had a leg up on it on researching it and developing treatments for it.

Is it possible that China released this coronavirus and in the process suffered great economic losses, locking down entire cities (larger than NY), 3,400 deaths, their public losing faith in their leadership, all so that they could hamper their biggest buyer?

Believe what you will. But have some facts to base your thoughts and opinions on.
I agree with your general point although it now appears that the first cases were in mid-November.

I was in a bank today, no issues.......
Banks I use from emails sent me from them with "issues:
At least one of the banks I use (either credit card or regular banking - but I deleted emails - Cap One, Citi and/or BOA) sent me email saying branches without glass partitions at teller counter will be closed.

A bank I use when I'm in Canada because no currency exchange charges and when I return to US I just deposit Canadian cash to get rid of it:

The following TD Bank Stores will be closed:

• HOWARD BEACH (Closed / ATM Available)
  • LARCHMONT VILLAGE (Drive-Thru Open)
  • PELHAM (Drive-Thru Open)
I use when I'm in Boston as my main bank has few branches there.
  • BOSTON − MGH (Closed / ATM Available)
  • HARVARD SQUARE (Closed)
  • HOLYOKE (Closed / ATM Available)
  • PROVINCETOWN - SHANK PAINTER RD (Drive-Thru Open)

All Schwab branches (from their email to me) are closed to public.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Banks I use from emails sent me from them with "issues:
At least one of the banks I use (either credit card or regular banking - but I deleted emails - Cap One, Citi and/or BOA) sent me email saying branches without glass partitions at teller counter will be closed.

A bank I use when I'm in Canada because no currency exchange charges and when I return to US I just deposit Canadian cash to get rid of it:

• HOWARD BEACH (Closed / ATM Available)
  • LARCHMONT VILLAGE (Drive-Thru Open)
  • PELHAM (Drive-Thru Open)
I use when I'm in Boston as my main bank has few branches there.
  • BOSTON − MGH (Closed / ATM Available)
  • HARVARD SQUARE (Closed)
  • HOLYOKE (Closed / ATM Available)
  • PROVINCETOWN - SHANK PAINTER RD (Drive-Thru Open)

All Schwab branches (from their email to me) are closed to public.
Update:
Leaving Citibank on Merrick Rd in Rockville Centre right now.
No problems. No crowds.
Teller do NOT repeat DO NOT have glass between the customer and themselves but they were open.
Restrictions: I needed to sit with a desk person and the chairs were set far from the desk
There were markings on the floor for the people to stand when talking to a teller.

Now that the Governor has closed all businesses declared non essential, many of us are going to have a lot of downtime ...
For those of us who have a SO and have no excuse to leave the house for periods of time, looks like all extracurricular activities will be coming to a halt.

Now what?

There's 15 cars waiting on line at the drive thru atm in the Wantagh shopping center at the moment, people are going crazy driving like morons honking their horns like we're in midtown Manhattan lol. Yesterday drove on sunrise hwy and saw hunter sports in Massapequa had a line going all the way outside.

Now that the Governor has closed all businesses declared non essential, many of us are going to have a lot of downtime ...
For those of us who have a SO and have no excuse to leave the house for periods of time, looks like all extracurricular activities will be coming to a halt.

Now what?
Home Depot will remain open.