Bistros

I don't want it to be, but I still think on balance that Balthazar is the best.
It is, because it's more authentic. The problem with a lot of these "bistro" restaurants is that they're based on a cliché of French bistro food and French bistro environment. Everything from the corny decor, with the faux Parisian trappings and the faux smokey mirrors with the wine list written on them, to the menus with the obligatory steak frites and croque monsier. And that's, basically, the problem with the concept -- it's "faux" from the beginning.

I used to like going to La Diner (or was it Le Diner?), which was an authentic French bistro run by a couple from France. The menu consisted of classic bistro dishes, but the authenticity made all the difference. You felt like you were in a real place, not as if you were entering into someone's idea of what a real place might look like. There is a difference.

It is, because it's more authentic. The problem with a lot of these "bistro" restaurants is that they're based on a cliché of French bistro food and French bistro environment. Everything from the corny decor, with the faux Parisian trappings and the faux smokey mirrors with the wine list written on them, to the menus with the obligatory steak frites and croque monsier. And that's, basically, the problem with the concept -- it's "faux" from the beginning.

I used to like going to La Diner (or was it Le Diner?), which was an authentic French bistro run by a couple from France. The menu consisted of classic bistro dishes, but the authenticity made all the difference. You felt like you were in a real place, not as if you were entering into someone's idea of what a real place might look like. There is a difference.
Let's hear it for authenticity. Maybe the city needs more French couples running bistros - to get the true French feeling.

Enjoy,

chels

You might be right JL. I have been there since last fall. It was a beautiful day (as was the lady) and we really enjoyed two bottles of red from Aix en Provence. I remember that but not the food!

Have you been to Marseilles on 44th/9th?

Point taken,

Chels
I meant to say that I have NOT been there since last fall. Major omission.

With apologies,

Chels

Well, IMHO, Les Halles is just a traditional brasserie. They are a "simple" restaurant offering a modest menu.

A bistro outside the confines of Manhattan and worth a visit is Tournesol in Long Island City. It's located one stop on the 7 train after Grand Central/42nd Street... Vernon-Jackson.

All the traditional bistro fare with great daily specials. It's a small place so have reservations.

Let's hear it for authenticity. Maybe the city needs more French couples running bistros - to get the true French feeling.

Enjoy,

chels
I think you missed my point. It's sort of like Olive Garden or China Fun. Would you really consider Olive Garden an Italian restaurant? Or is it a poor imitation of an Italian restaurant?

Balthazar, Le Gigot, maybe Le Tableau.

Tartine and La Lunchonette are inexpensive alternatives that can hit the spot.

Food at Tournesol was overrated but loved the rugby-themed wine bar next door.

What about Café Boulud? Does that count as a "bistro"? (In some ways, I prefer it to Daniel, although they kept me waiting for a table for over half an hour once when I had a reservation.)

I definitely prefer Cafe Boulud to Daniel -- but I'd say db Bistro Moderne is more a bistro than Cafe Boulud is.

Also, agree with Mr. WW: Le Tableau is wildly underrated.

This thread is making me both sad and hungry. I literally have nothing decent to eat near me. At least staying skinny is a lot easier than it was in New York.
Masq: I'm sure there are plenty of people on the board who would be happy to "wine and dine" you should you venture back to the city.

Enjoy,

Chels

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
If you're in Astoria, I'd go with 718. I dunno if it is exactly a bistro, but at least it doesn't have all that tacky faux bistro decor. I had a pretty decent hanger steak for lunch there once.

If you're in Astoria, I'd go with 718. I dunno if it is exactly a bistro, but at least it doesn't have all that tacky faux bistro decor. I had a pretty decent hanger steak for lunch there once.

Franca: just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "faux bistro decor?" I'm curious.

Thanks,

Chels

Here's a place to avoid. fig & olive on lex in the 60's. overpriced food and lousy bread. its' packed full of bitter ues divorcee ho's, run-down japs, and other skanks.

I love Fig & Olive. Their cured salmon is absolutely amazing, and they have an excellent wine list. They opened another one in the Meatpacking District, much larger and noisier with a younger, hipper crowd. The only thing I really can't stand about the uptown one is the manager, who can be downright rude. I believe they started out importing olive oils and then built the menu around them to showcase them (you can buy the olive oils from around the world in the restaurant). Their fresh fig tart is also excellent, as are their imported hams and cheeses. I wouldn't call it a bistro, though.

french bistros - always on the lookout

Enjoy,

chels
very few manhattan bistros are french run, which is odd, particularly when so many italian restaurants are run by italians - from owner - to kitchen. balthazar which "seems" to be the closest, does everything right, but i don't believe i have ever encountered a french person there other than at the bar. the food has always been good - to - very good.
les halles is very pedestrian, & has turned into 95% tourists!! le singe vert "used" to be quite french, but has slipped dramatically. jarnac very good, but no bar. tout va bien very french, but food is terrible (unfortunately). try cafe du soleil if can take the noise level. quatorze bis very good, pricey, but as close to a bistro as u will find. demarchelier also a good stop-off. daniel just opened across from lincoln center, & also looking forward to benoit, but fear will be overpriced, & touristy-oriented.

where "was" le diner located?? would like to try le veau d'or before m. treboux "kicks the bucket"