Bistros

If you like French Bistros, try Paris Match on E.65th betw. Madison & Park. It has all the typical bistro fare (steak frites, mussels, etc.) and throws in some sushi as well (uh, uh, now - I mean raw Japanese fish food, not the female kind!). I've been going there recently, and like the joint altho I definitely bring up the age level. Oh well, part of the charm of Manhattan is that one can always find new restaurants - just go to a different part of town!

This is making me hungry,

Chels

My comfortable go-to bistro/brasserie is Les Halles... the one on Park Avenue. The one downtown offers a watered down menu and the atmosphere is depressing.

This place is not about being seen or to see... it just offers good fare that you expect from a French brasserie.

I just don't get Les Halles. Back when it opened, it was about the only place in New York you could get a hanger steak. But those days are gone. For years, the food has just struck me as ordinary. Everything they serve, you can get better elsewhere, IMO.

I LOVED LCB Brasserie, but . . . .

I really like db Bistro Moderne . . . but I wonder if it really counts.

Maybe when Alain Ducasse opens Benoit . . . .

Other favorite bistros: Le Jardin down on Cleveland St in Soho - both outdoors and indoors. Not a pretentious place but has a great wine list from Provence and the Rhone. Marseilles at 44th & 9th is quite good but part of the group that includes L'Express and Nice Matin. The staff can be condescending to the point of insolence sometimes.

Always liked Park Bistro but it is closed pending a move a few blocks south.

Enjoy, Chels

I just don't get Les Halles. Back when it opened, it was about the only place in New York you could get a hanger steak. But those days are gone. For years, the food has just struck me as ordinary. Everything they serve, you can get better elsewhere, IMO.
I have a differing opinion. Les Halles still grills a pretty good ribeye. Yes, there is better.

However, I'm there probably once or twice a month just to order their Planche de Grillades, which include lamb chops, hanger steak, thich sliced bacon, steak, and merguez. Also, although on the menu all year long, the cassoulet is a nice hearty warm meal during the winter.

Other favorite bistros: Le Jardin down on Cleveland St in Soho - both outdoors and indoors. Not a pretentious place but has a great wine list from Provence and the Rhone. Marseilles at 44th & 9th is quite good but part of the group that includes L'Express and Nice Matin. The staff can be condescending to the point of insolence sometimes.

Always liked Park Bistro but it is closed pending a move a few blocks south.

Enjoy, Chels
I've been to Park Avenue Bistro. It was difficult since it was right across from Les Halles. I didn't particularly care for the decor of the restaurant. With that said, the food was fine. The most outstanding dish was the mushroom ravioli.

Also part of the Tour de France restaurant group is Charolais (formerly Cote d'Or). They specialize in Burgundian cuisine. I was there when they opened a couple of months ago. I thought the food was very good. However, the wait staff needed some seasoning. I wasn't too put off since they just recently opened but I expected more since it was not the first restaurant opened by Simon Oren (such as Marseilles and L'Express).

The location of the restaurant is somewhat a detraction. It's located on Varick Street.

Oh come on Chels. Le Jardin just sucks.

How recently have you been there?

The last time I was there (in early 2006), it was just an embarrassment.
You might be right JL. I have been there since last fall. It was a beautiful day (as was the lady) and we really enjoyed two bottles of red from Aix en Provence. I remember that but not the food!

Have you been to Marseilles on 44th/9th?

Point taken,

Chels

My comfortable go-to bistro/brasserie is Les Halles... the one on Park Avenue. The one downtown offers a watered down menu and the atmosphere is depressing.

This place is not about being seen or to see... it just offers good fare that you expect from a French brasserie.
Service in the downtown one sucks!