Best Spyware/Anit-Virus?

I decided to download Kaspersky for a 30 day trial period last night. It took a while to do a full system scan and when it was done, I didn't see details as far as what it detected. Ever since then, when I try to access Eros, it gives me a warning message about a trojan program.
If you read the warning message carefully, it says "Access to this web site may require you to wear a Trojan".

I decided to download Kaspersky for a 30 day trial period last night. It took a while to do a full system scan and when it was done, I didn't see details as far as what it detected. Ever since then, when I try to access Eros, it gives me a warning message about a trojan program.
that's one thing i don't like about Kaspersky....you have to be kind of a advanced user to handle it. I have it on my laptop and everytime i access a website some type of a warning jumps in. In simple words it's too much security. In the case of eros it may be true..you never know what those "trusted" sites plant on your computer.

Why don't just try Norton...I know it's not a popular choice but i surf all the warez and torrent sites which are virus plantations but so far never been let down by Norton.

i have to chime in here being a system administrator & analyst.

hands down best program is zone alarm

it is a all in one software firewall, anti virus, anti spyware & identity protection should u need that.

Computer Associates

If you are a Road Runner user, you can get Computer Associates Anti-Virus for free via the Road Runner portal. I have been using it for a couple of years -- seems to work pretty well.

The problem with Linux is that it’s free. “For Free” is not a very good business model. With the exception of a few software items such as the Fire Fox browser (Ice Weasel in Linux or Camino, which is the lite version of Ice Weasel), OpenOffice and GIMP (a very powerful digital image editing program very much like Photoshop), there is very little really good software available for Linux as software developers generally like to be paid for their work, and Linux users generally don’t like to pay for their software. That’s the way it will always be, and Linux will never be a real competitor for Windows.
Although I am long time a Windows user (since 3.0), I work with a number of folks who are Linux fans.

We (Windows users) have Outlook, they (Linux) have Evolution.
We have wugnet, they have sourceforge (some windows stuff here also)
We have MS/SQL and Oracle, they have MySQL
We have Visual Studio, they have Java/Javascript/Ruby on Rails/Groovy, etc.
We have MS Office, they have OpenOffice.
...and the comparisons go on.

And don't forget about Crossover, Wine, etc. that allows you to run Windows programs on Linux.

I think it's a myth that there is a dearth of software for Linux. I agree it seems unlikely that there would be, but there are a lot of programmers who have "a calling" and produce quality software for free. Or they make money from the services, e.g., RedHat.

I personally think Linux is probably a superior architecture, but I am too lazy to switch from Windows to Linux -- I don't want the ramp-up time to switch and understand a new OS.

It's just simplistic to say there is so much software for Windows and barely anything for Linux. If you want to love Windows, love it for some other reason where the facts really bear themselves out.

Although I am long time a Windows user (since 3.0), I work with a number of folks who are Linux fans.

We (Windows users) have Outlook, they (Linux) have Evolution.
We have wugnet, they have sourceforge (some windows stuff here also)
We have MS/SQL and Oracle, they have MySQL
We have Visual Studio, they have Java/Javascript/Ruby on Rails/Groovy, etc.
We have MS Office, they have OpenOffice.
...and the comparisons go on.

And don't forget about Crossover, Wine, etc. that allows you to run Windows programs on Linux.

I think it's a myth that there is a dearth of software for Linux. I agree it seems unlikely that there would be, but there are a lot of programmers who have "a calling" and produce quality software for free. Or they make money from the services, e.g., RedHat.

I personally think Linux is probably a superior architecture, but I am too lazy to switch from Windows to Linux -- I don't want the ramp-up time to switch and understand a new OS.

It's just simplistic to say there is so much software for Windows and barely anything for Linux. If you want to love Windows, love it for some other reason where the facts really bear themselves out.
Try downloading music for your IPod with Linux, and report back.

Try running the latest hardware with Linux and include that in your report.

Last edited:
Red Hat makes their money by hand holding corporate users who are trying to use Linux to save a few bucks by using a free OS.

I can switch to an Apple Computer right now with very little, if any ramp-up time, even though I never owned an Apple computer. That is the hall mark of a well designed, user-friendly OS. I've tried using Wine to run Windows Software on Ubuntu 7.1 Linux and got no where. I tried installing software packages (thats what they call set up files in Linux) some times I could, but more often I could not because the packages weren't compatible with my version of Linux, or my windows manager. I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable and Linux is unacceptable as well.

i have to chime in here being a system administrator & analyst.

hands down best program is zone alarm

it is a all in one software firewall, anti virus, anti spyware & identity protection should u need that.
I've used the ZoneAlarm full security suite and it's seems to have a very novel approach to total online security. When ZoneAlarm is in use, you cannot open any files files by double clicking on them. You have to launch the software first, and then open the file from that software (ie launch MS Word first, and then open the .doc file from Word.). All applications have to be run as an administrator, you can't change any computer settings like screen resolution, passwords, etc. You can't access any Windows utilities, fine file clean up or defrag. There's security and then there's a dictatorship.

Try downloading music for your IPod with Linux, and report back.

Try running the latest hardware with Linux and include that in your report.
I am not trying to turn this into a Windows vs. Linux thread -- I was addressing one particular myth -- that there is a dearth of software available for Linux.

If you cannot get Linux to run on your particular hardware, that's a good reason to stay with Windows.

If you don't like the software available for ipod on Linux (I am neither a Linux nor iPod user -- I did find this, though -- http://www.ipodlinux.org/Main_Page), that is a good reason to stay with Windows.

My point is that the assertion that there is almost no software for Linux is just a myth.

and what is the current Mac OS (OS X) built on? BSD Unix.
That's true. All MAC OS's starting with X (I believe) were built on the Unix foundation (so was MS-DOS to some extent). The difference is that Apple went to a whole lot of trouble to polish and modify it so that it became user friendly. They also insisted that it become the one and only operating system for Apple computers (at least until Apple started using Intel processors at which point it became possible to run Windows in it's native mode), so strict standards were maintained.

Another important distinction is that Apple never gave any version of OS X away for free.

I am not trying to turn this into a Windows vs. Linux thread -- I was addressing one particular myth -- that there is a dearth of software available for Linux.

If you cannot get Linux to run on your particular hardware, that's a good reason to stay with Windows.

If you don't like the software available for ipod on Linux (I am neither a Linux nor iPod user -- I did find this, though -- http://www.ipodlinux.org/Main_Page), that is a good reason to stay with Windows.

My point is that the assertion that there is almost no software for Linux is just a myth.
By their own admission, their software doesn't work on the latest models of IPods as well as 2nd and 3rd generations of Nano's. This is typical of Linux software "it works on some things, some of the time, but not in all cases". They go on to ask for your help on advancing this project (provided you are a heavy duty C++ developer, who has nothing better to do).

Lately, I wondered why the Indian government doesn't nationalize one of their main domestic resources, 100's of thousands of talented programmers. The government could spend 3 or 4 billion dolars (or the Indian equivalent) to seed a giant software company, take a version of Linux, polish it, refine it and produce an OS, an Office Suite, media player, browser, etc. and challenge Microsoft.

Google Richard Stallman, the father of the free software movement, a discover for yourself what makes this guy tick. Linus Torvalds, who is the father of Linux, wrote the first Linux kernal. He was a young computer student in Finland, who had far more time then money on his hands. He intended Linux to be his PhD thesis. After he graduated, he got married, had a child and got himself a real job. What does that tell you about Linux? It tells me that while Linux might be great for hobbyists and computer science students, most people have better things to do with their time.

Elmo -- would you like to continue the Windows vs. Linux discussion in another thread? I feel like we are somewhat hijacking the main topic here.

Elmo -- would you like to continue the Windows vs. Linux discussion in another thread? I feel like we are somewhat hijacking the main topic here.
Not really, I think I've made my point - why beat a dead horse.

But don't you wish someone else had something to say?

Last edited:
If you want the best mostly free security suite, try PC Tools. While PC Tools Spy Doctor is not free (it did receive PC Magazines highest rating for anti-spy ware), the rest of the PC Tools security suite is. The PC Tools Fire Wall is one of the best free firewalls available. PC Tools free Anti-Virus version 4 is greatly improved over previous versions, is very effective in removing viruses, is very light on system resources. PC Tools also provided an interesting new member of it's security suite, ThreatFire. ThreatFire does not depend on a data base of known threats, but instead detects virus-like behavior. This software does an amazing job of not detecting false-positives, that is it won't stop legitimate software from operating. This is very useful of protecting your computer from “zero-day threats”.

Hold on about PC Toold ThreatFire - this particular utility does seem to have a down side. It will, in some cases, prevent you from installing new software. You will have to disable it before you can install a lot of software.

PC Tools ThreatFire muted my sound, stopped me from closing my Taskbar and Start Menu Items, stopped me from installing Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition, and almost every thing else. I finally uninstalled the stupid thing, and now my computer is working the way it should. Avoid this piece of shit software at all costs. If you down load the free version of PC Tools Anti-Virus, this piece of junk also installs itself. Do your self a huge favor and uninstall it ASAP.