Best Spyware/Anit-Virus?

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
AVG and Avasti are free anti virus software. All you do is regerster your copy with an e**** acct. They run daily updates automatic. I use this on all of mine and my customers PC's both are usually better at catching any infection before either of the 2 more popular ones. You can get these at download.

Last edited:

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
I have friends who say Linux is the best anti-virus program :)
That's because no one has written virus software for it or Solaras, or AIX. Unix is king in this, but it is one of the most unforgiving OS's around. Most firewalls run this stuff.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Spyware Doctor always gets the job done. Also since switching to Firefox I havn't gotten any malware of any kind. Most bugs are written for IE.

That's because no one has written virus software for it or Solaras, or AIX. Unix is king in this, but it is one of the most unforgiving OS's around. Most firewalls run this stuff.
The problem with Linux is that it’s free. “For Free” is not a very good business model. With the exception of a few software items such as the Fire Fox browser (Ice Weasel in Linux or Camino, which is the lite version of Ice Weasel), OpenOffice and GIMP (a very powerful digital image editing program very much like Photoshop), there is very little really good software available for Linux as software developers generally like to be paid for their work, and Linux users generally don’t like to pay for their software. That’s the way it will always be, and Linux will never be a real competitor for Windows.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed that there are relatively few viruses written any more. The people who created viruses now prefer to create spyware. If you scan your computer, you will find that you will pick up lots of spyware, and very few, if any viruses. Spyware can track you on line, find out what you’re interested in buying, it can steal your personal information, data, even steal you’re identify, useful stuff that can make people money. Viruses can only vandalize your computer, high school shit. I guess you could say that viruses are to spyware as Linux is to Windows.

Spyware Doctor always gets the job done. Also since switching to Firefox I havn't gotten any malware of any kind. Most bugs are written for IE.
Try the AVG i have it on all of my computers you set it and forget it , it picked stuff the spyware doctor didn't.... i do agree after switching to Firefox my self Alot the BS when away

Try the AVG i have it on all of my computers you set it and forget it , it picked stuff the spyware doctor didn't.... i do agree after switching to Firefox my self Alot the BS when away
CNET reviewed AVG Internet Security 8.0 (it there now for you to see), and they said that it's resource heavy, produces false positives and reports some legitimate software as dangerous.

Last edited:

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
The problem with Linux is that it’s free. “For Free” is not a very good business model. With the exception of a few software items such as the Fire Fox browser (Ice Weasel in Linux or Camino, which is the lite version of Ice Weasel), OpenOffice and GIMP (a very powerful digital image editing program very much like Photoshop), there is very little really good software available for Linux as software developers generally like to be paid for their work, and Linux users generally don’t like to pay for their software. That’s the way it will always be, and Linux will never be a real competitor for Windows.

I’ve noticed that there are relatively few viruses written any more. The people who created viruses now prefer to create spyware. If you scan your computer, you will find that you will pick up lots of spyware, and very few, if any viruses. Spyware can track you on line, find out what you’re interested in buying, it can steal your personal information, data, even steal you’re identify, useful stuff that can make people money. Viruses can only vandalize your computer, high school shit. I guess you could say that viruses are to spyware as Linux is to Windows.
Isn't this two sides of the same coin? There's no money in viruses but plenty of money in spyware (well, to some extent because of the definitions people tend to use: if a virus is also spyware, it usually gets classified as spyware, not a virus).

Kaspersky is a very good choice and works very well. I have been with Norton for a long time and still haven't let me down.
I decided to download Kaspersky for a 30 day trial period last night. It took a while to do a full system scan and when it was done, I didn't see details as far as what it detected. Ever since then, when I try to access Eros, it gives me a warning message about a trojan program.

Although I use AVG, it is a TOTAL resource hog when it's doing a system scan.
Yes, that it is, i can't stand it when i have to work my computer and its doing a scan, i've tried to move the start time earlier but it didn't take, maybe i have to upgrade!

elmo16- i am using version 7.5 , thanks for the warning i'll do more research before i upgrade.

Last edited:

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
BIO you can setup a schedule to scan at night while you sleep. You don't need to be logged in so this will run and still no one can access your computer.

Another problem is when you use an anti-virus program from one mfgr, anti-spywear from another and a fire wall from a third, and for instance, they often interfere with each other. I use Norton’s 360. Its light on system resources, works well, is easy to set up, includes a utility to remove temp and other garbage file, and has a defragger that works far faster and easier than the one built into Windows. Its back-up utility is poor because it doesn’t allow for an emergency boot disk in case your system is so badly messed up, you can’t even boot your system. It’s not free, but like I said, it’s a high quality security suite written by professional developers, who expect to be paid for their work.