Best Spyware/Anit-Virus?

Thanks elmo16 I was getting ready to buy a PC Tools utility.
All you have to pay for is PC Tools Spyware Doctor, you can down load PC Tools Fire Wall Plus and PC Tools Anti-Virus for free, so this very capable security suite is much cheaper then any other on the market(this seems to be the only almost-free security suite that comes with everything you need for a complete security suite). When you down load Anti-Virus, PC Tools also down loads Threat Fire. Do yourself a huge favor and uninstall Threat Fire ASAP!

Hey Elmo;

I just downloaded / paid for the PC Tools with AntiVirus. It allowed me to install it on three computers, so it was worth it. I have to admit, scanning is pretty fast and not was slow as Norton Internet Security and McAfee Internet Suite.

Thanks for the info...

What you should have done was download PC Tools Spyware Doctor, that you have to pay for (about $25-$29). Then you down load PC Tools Fire Wall Plus free version and PC Tools Anti-Virus also free. Uninstall PC Tools ThreatFire as it is basically unnecessary and causes you endless headaches. PC Tools Spywear Doctor when bought separately allows you to install it on as many computers as you want.

I tried Kapersky and it completely bogged down my system. Took 20 minutes to install, started scanning immediately after that, couldn't access anything during that time and get fed up and uninstalled it, which took another 30 minutes. What sucks is when I went back to the store to exchange it for something else, they wouldn't let me. Now I have to contact Kapersky to see if I can get a refund.

I tried Kapersky and it completely bogged down my system. Took 20 minutes to install, started scanning immediately after that, couldn't access anything during that time and get fed up and uninstalled it, which took another 30 minutes. What sucks is when I went back to the store to exchange it for something else, they wouldn't let me. Now I have to contact Kapersky to see if I can get a refund.
Very few, if any software stores or companies will refund your money after you open disk package due to the fact that you could always copy the disk or disks even if you return the original. You should have down loaded a trial version of the software that lets you try before you buy. Not all software is available in a try before you buy, but most is.

You should have left your computer alone and allowed the software to complete it's scan. I've heard good things about Kapersky. It's not perfect, but what software is?

Please be aware that if you have Windows Vista installed (or XP) with a minimum amount of ram required for operation of that OS, any security software will slow down your computer.

elmo16,
My McAfee subscription expired.
From this thread, your words about Norton 360 seemed the most convincing ones to me.
I am thinking to give it a try. Any warning you may think of?
What is your take on McAfee?

thats what I'm using for years. I visit all the warez sites and download tons of stuff..no problems so far. Some people might not like it but Norton does work.
I liked Symantec too. That is hwy now I am divided between renewing the subscription with McAfee and buying a new Norton 360.
The renewal of sub is $70 (quite steep, although there is nothing like a good protection) and that's also the price for buying Norton. So money-wise, not much difference (unless I buy a three-year sub with McAfee ("only" $149), but I don't know if I am ready for that kind of committment. :)

Last edited:
My company installs mcafee on all our machines. Late one night, a few years ago, while on a business trip in a hotel somewhere, I opened an ***** attachment I should have known better than to open. I realized my mistake almost immediately, but the damn virus or worm or trojan horse or whatever immediately (less than 5 seconds) disabled mcafee and prevented me from activating the "start" button, so I wasn't able to shut down the machine in the normal manner. After another 5-10 seconds, when I noticed hard drive activity, i pulled the plug and battery and shut the thing down that way.

I wasn't able to boot normally, so after a lot of effort in safe mode, i was able to access the internet. It was too late for tech support, and Mcafee's website was useless. Finally I went to symantic and downloaded norton. Once I ran it, even before it installed itself fully, it did a system check and a scan and cleaned out the offending worm, and I was back up and running in under 30 minutes.

The pricks in my IT department later had me de-install norton and they re-installed mcaffee, but I switched to norton for my home machines.

I liked Symantec too. That is hwy now I am divided between renewing the subscription with McAfee and buying a new Norton 360.
The renewal of sub is $70 (quite steep, although there is nothing like a good protection) and that's also the price for buying Norton. So money-wise, not much difference (unless I buy a three-year sub with McAfee ("only" $149), but I don't know if I am ready for that kind of committment. :)
I just saw Norton 360- 3 user for $28 after rebates (rebates are PIA but if you follow up you can easily get the money back)

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=206892268

Two good anti-spyware programs are Spy-bot and Ad-aware. Spy-bot and the basic version of Ad-aware are free. You can get Ad-aware from download dot com, and Spy-bot will link you to a mirror site where you can download it.

Avast is a good anti-virus program. Free to download and it updates automatically.