Best Prices?

What are your thoughts on a wine-tasting bachelorette party? I did not plan this event, and I'm sort of conflicted. The whole getting sauced on delicious vino all day long and being cheuffered around sounds great, but then I have to actually get out of bed early to do some dumb brunch thing beforehand. Plus I barely know most of these women, and a couple of them work with my SO, which I worry may cause some awkwardness once I get a little drunk. (although, we'll probably all be equally smashed) I think it could go either way - totally bitchin' good time or social train wreck. Not sure what to do.

Apologies for the somewhat off-topic nature of this post. But we are in the Wine Forum, I guess.

I still like Astor Wines on Lafayette Street just south of their old location on Astor Place. The new store is more upscale and doesn't seem as focused on bargains as they used to. But you'll find everything you need and, if you do want service, they staff is extremely helpful and know their stuff. My only beef is that, if you find something you like, there's no guarantee that they'll carry wine from the same winery again.

I've heard good things about Nancy's Wines for Food on Columbus and 75th Street, but I must admit that I've never actually shopped there. She's supposed to carry a good selection of rieslings, which is a wine I like to drink, so it's on my list of places to try. And I just like the idea of pairing wine with food, as opposed to region, nationality or grape varietal. it just makes sense.

The prices there aren't as bad as legend would have it, but you CAN'T POSSIBLY recommend Sherry-Lehman for someone who's looking for a barebones lowest-possible-price no-service wine store.
I agree... I bought a bottle of Macallan 25 at Sherry Lehman for $375 only because AMEX was giving me double points. That same bottle at the liquor warehouse on Broadway near NYU was $325

Another example:

Johnnie Walker Blue
Sherry Lehman- $245
Liquor Warehouse- $175