Best Prices?

If you had to make a major wine and liquor purchase where would you shop in NY/NJ? I'm talking about best prices and selection - not a foo-foo place where someone will follow me around and make recommendations.

Here's three

If you're looking for a very good selection of wine with good prices here are some suggestions:

Total Wine in River Edge, NJ (off Route 4 near Hackensack. They have other locations as well).

Wine Library, Springfield, NJ (off Route 24 near Short Hills Mall).

Bottle King (Route 17 North in Upper Saddle River).

I would just like to protest the idea that there's something disreputable about getting service and knowledgeable recommendations at a store.

I understand that this thread is asking for something different, but it's not like there's anything wrong with wanting to go somewhere where the staff actually knows about what they're selling, and can help you find things you'd like.

Otherwise, sorry to interject. Recommend away, everyone.

Last edited:
I thought wine & spirits are regulated and purveyors are prevented from selling it below certain prices. Sure, there are those that sell things higher, but I believe there are basement prices which cannot be reduced.

The prices there aren't as bad as legend would have it, but you CAN'T POSSIBLY recommend Sherry-Lehman for someone who's looking for a barebones lowest-possible-price no-service wine store.

I've heard that Costco gets high marks for their wine and hard liquor selections. And they have some "rule" about having a 14% markup cap on all items.

Last edited:
The prices there aren't as bad as legend would have it, but you CAN'T POSSIBLY recommend Sherry-Lehman for someone who's looking for a barebones lowest-possible-price no-service wine store.
The prices are on the website-free delivery is available in NY-costco may be better in nj-don't think alcohol available in ny

That Warehouse place on Broadway near 8th Ave./Wanamaker Pl.

That was my choice as well..... but there are going to a lot of confused people looking for that intersection (and it's Astor (and Waverly)... Wanamaker is 9th). Hint: it's pretty much next door to a place in the hamburger thread which steams their burgers.

I find a surprisingly good selection and reasonable prices for wine and liquor at --don't laugh-- Nat'l Wholesale Liquadators on Rt. 17 North in Lodi/Hackensack. There are wine/liquor areas on both floors. Plemty to choose from. Salespeople don't bother you either.

Last edited:
In New Jersey...

...Stores cannot sell below cost. Total Wines stores sell a large number of wines at cost every month. The downside to total is that they sell a huge amount of wine no one ever heard of - just bought bulk wine and had someone slap a label on it.