Best NY Ramen

I wouldn't say it's the best noodle place I've been to but Big Wong (fitting name for this forum) on Mott just east of Canal on the south side is pretty good and damn busy with the locals. Offered my friend a choice of cheap NYC Chinese or one of the premiere seafood places on the map (Oceana) and she picked Chinatown. Anyway.... good pork, very good noodles, quick and cheap.

Figured this be a good place to post this... It ain't ramen... it's better. And yesterday I litterally traded the last one (of 6 dozen I brought back with me) for sex. Them chasuba's are better than roofies.

Last edited:
I think DDL's problem is that he's thinking of the Momfukus like they're Asian restaurants. But that's not what they are at all.
Well I guess the mindset is that it is Asian food, but not necessarily thinking its authentic asian cuisine. I knew going into Momofuku it was going to be more different than like say going to Big Wongs in chinatown. But still, $10 for 4 pieces of bok choy is a bit outrageous....and it was just OK. If it was really good, I'll pay it, but wtf. lol... get the same thing at big wongs for $3. :)

Right.

I climbed over at least a dozen motherfuckers to get to the counter a little after 9 on a sat morning with an afternoon flight. Tipped the old bag behind the counter a twenty as she was packing the 2 doz baked and told her to fetch me 4 doz steamed. She hopped right on into the kitchen, came out 10 seconds later with a 'high' sign and started folding boxes. They dropped three trays and she grabbed two and loaded me up. Grabbed a couple orders of dim sum and four more buns to go, a container of lotus flower tea all while I had the friend parked right outside in the bus stop and I was out of there in under 5 minutes like a champ. I'm like a gypsy bringing food back in my bags... but everything sucks such dick down here.

hey ddl

there are a couple of ramen places near pings/chinatown arcade now. i went to the one across the street from pings. the one next to pings i heard wasnt so great and the one across just opened up recently so my friends wanted to try it out. we thought it was good. had a curry flavored one, the seafood and something else. i dun remember how much im guessing 8-10 bucks per bowl. it was about an average amount of food i guess.

it has to be hop shing cuz mei lai wah closed down. such a shame. i really liked their char sui bows. they also had the best fried egg dough stuff drizzled with honey.

theres a hot pot place that has ramen that opened up recently on bowery that i went to a few weeks ago. had some wagu with ramen. never had a huge amount of wagu before so i wouldnt really know how to rate it but what i had was pretty tasty. made the broth all salty and oily, i liked it. they also had a foi gras appetizer that was pretty good. the sauce that had with it added a good sweet flavor to it.

it has to be hop shing cuz mei lai wah closed down. such a shame. i really liked their char sui bows. they also had the best fried egg dough stuff drizzled with honey.
Besides their baked cha sieu bao, their chon bao (plain bun) was one of their best buns. Once, I made the mistake of ordering their bor law bao (pineapple bun), which was one of the worst I've had. Mei Lai Wah was supposed to be closed down but they've decided to re-open. Walking by there a short time ago, their windows are all covered by newspapers. They appear to be in the process of renovating and had signs in English, Chinese and what appeared to be Tagalog thanking their customers and that they plan to re-open sometime soon.

Where have the good ramen places gone?

Gents,

Being Japanese, the one thing that pisses me off is that there isn't really a big choice when you just want a nice bowl of ramen. Back when I was younger, there used to be a chain of places all other the boroughs (at least manhattan and queens) called Dosanko that fit the bill pretty well. Now that I am older, other than Rai Rai Ken(which is mediocre at best), I don't see much out there. I recently went to visit the in-laws in Hawaii and loved it since they have have a couple in the Waikiki area. Before that, I worked in the SF Bay area for a year and also readily found ramen joints. I can't wait till October when I get to go back to Japan to visit relatives... you know what I'll be walking straight into once I get there. A ramen shop.
I also agree with a prior recommendation that yelp.com is usually a good source to find places (if any) in the Manhattan area. Good luck!

Eightball,

I agree that Larmen Dosanko was a great place, I used to go there all the time, though it did have more of a fast-food feel than I really liked. IMO, Sapporo, at 152 W. 49 is much better.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Way back when, every Saturday afternoon a lot of the professional and semi-professional magicians would gather at Tannen's Magic on Broadway and then go to Dosanko for an extended afternoon of lunch and shop talk.

I'm almost postive they aren't all closed since I'm pretty sure I drove by one in Midtown East somewhere very recently.

Dosanko no more...

Slink,

As confirmed by Waru, Dosanko is no more. Sapporo was ok, but was not that good. Again, thank goodness I'm going back to Japan soon since I am in need of some good ramen. Wish I could spread some of the wealth to the rest of you guys. I'm have an extra bite for you all.

Good luck

Believe it or not, Jean-Georges is opening up a Japanese noodle joint in the space where his now defunct Chinese fusion restaurant "66" in Tribeca was located (Church St. & Leonard). It's called Matsu Gen. (And you thought you paid a lot for noodles at some of these other joints — hah!)

Right.

I climbed over at least a dozen motherfuckers to get to the counter a little after 9 on a sat morning with an afternoon flight. Tipped the old bag behind the counter a twenty as she was packing the 2 doz baked and told her to fetch me 4 doz steamed. She hopped right on into the kitchen, came out 10 seconds later with a 'high' sign and started folding boxes. They dropped three trays and she grabbed two and loaded me up. Grabbed a couple orders of dim sum and four more buns to go, a container of lotus flower tea all while I had the friend parked right outside in the bus stop and I was out of there in under 5 minutes like a champ. I'm like a gypsy bringing food back in my bags... but everything sucks such dick down here.
Unfortunately, the underwear in your suitcase smelled of...well, we won't go there.

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
Menchanko Tei on East 45th betw. Lexington and Third. Terrific ramen noodle soups. I posted a thread on this same subject a while ago. Someone mentioned that the same owners have another place on West 72nd.
I've been to the one on 72nd many times. I wouldn't make a special trip anywhere just for ramen, but it is a good place to eat if you're in the neighborhood. They really do make good noodle soups—and a wide variety too.

I had a appetizer dish of bok choy...it was literally like 4 tiny bok choys for like 10 bucks...NOTHING SPECIAL! I can say been there done that.

Has anyone try the Ramen place (2nd floor) on Mott Street near Pings and Chinatown Fair (arcade). Sorry cant remember the name.
If it's the one with the plastic display food out front in a glass case save your money. I got some of the worst ramen I have ever had at that place. A cup o' noodles would put it to shame.