Best NY Ramen

I really love Ramen (Japanese noodle soup). My favorite ramen joint in Manhattan is Sapporo on West 49th street (which also has great Gyoza and Pork Shogayaki). Tokyo, on Lexington and 39th is also good, but beyond that, I haven't found a ramen bar that I really like and Sapporo is not conveniently located for me unless I'm going to the theater. Does anyone have other Manhattan ramen bar recommendations?

I really love Ramen (Japanese noodle soup). My favorite ramen joint in Manhattan is Sapporo on West 49th street (which also has great Gyoza and Pork Shogayaki). Tokyo, on Lexington and 39th is also good, but beyond that, I haven't found a ramen bar that I really like and Sapporo is not conveniently located for me unless I'm going to the theater. Does anyone have other Manhattan ramen bar recommendations?
Not directly, but look at (google) Chowhound for advice.

There's a really good place downtown on the east side. It's a tiny little place and they pretty much only serve ramen. I always forget the name though. I'll ask my Japanese friend who turned me on to it for the details again and post them up for you.

There's a really good place downtown on the east side. It's a tiny little place and they pretty much only serve ramen. I always forget the name though. I'll ask my Japanese friend who turned me on to it for the details again and post them up for you.
It's not momofuku is it? That place is just ok and way over priced.

Since location seems to be important to you, where in Manhattan are you trying to find a ramen restaurant?

Menchanko Tei on East 45th betw. Lexington and Third. Terrific ramen noodle soups. I posted a thread on this same subject a while ago. Someone mentioned that the same owners have another place on West 72nd.

There's also a place on East 9th Street between 2nd & 3rd on the North side of the street that's pretty good. Can't remember it's name, though.

Have you ever made your own ramen dishes? I have, just buy the ramen noodles in any super market. Open the package, shake the powder on the noodles, add two cups of water. Thats simple enough, but hardly satisfying. If you add slices of chicken or turkey breast, ham, (even slices of spam), sliced vegetables, sliced up hard boiled eggs, pea pods, etc. you have a real meal without going out to one of these hard to find ramen places.

I used to go to Sapporo, after leaving the Harmony theatre when they were on 48th. Street. The food was good, and the prices were great (kind of like the Harmony). I remember that there was another Japanese place a few doors down.

Have you ever made your own ramen dishes? I have, just buy the ramen noodles in any super market. Open the package, shake the powder on the noodles, add two cups of water. Thats simple enough, but hardly satisfying. If you add slices of chicken or turkey breast, ham, (even slices of spam), sliced vegetables, sliced up hard boiled eggs, pea pods, etc. you have a real meal without going out to one of these hard to find ramen places.
I would recommend discarding the powder packets and using miso paste to flavor the broth. It's pretty easy to find around town. It tastes a lot better, there's a lot less sodium (you can control it), and no MSG.

I can tell you where not to go, I can't remember the name but it's on 3rd ave and 92ish on the west side of the street. Is like a bar setting with an open kitchen, after I ate (barely) I went to use the toilet and saw a dirty bin of chicken feet, I nearly died. I am off any kind of Ramen for now. I understand weird ingredients go into exotic foods but I am no Anthony Bourdain.

There is a Japanese/Chinese fusion place on Lex in the low 30s called Saburi that had good Ramen in my opinion, but I'm no expert.

Last edited:
I would recommend discarding the powder packets and using miso paste to flavor the broth. It's pretty easy to find around town. It tastes a lot better, there's a lot less sodium (you can control it), and no MSG.
Sodium is still a problem, as I, like most other people like soy sauce with my noodles, although there is a low sodium soy sauce. The miso paste sounds good, but where do you find it. The King Kullen I go to doesn't have it.