Best Egg Cream?

Originally posted by vegasjim
Years ago there used to be a drug store in my neighborhood with a soda counter. You could not beat there hamburgers and egg creams.
This post brought back fond memories! Thought I'd take this post on a tangent and try to find out where good egg creams still exist. I'm sure there are still a lot of places in the city.

I guess if your not from the NY/NJ area and are under 40, you probably won't know what these are, but for those who do, where can we get an awesome egg cream?

I used to drink them all the time as a kid. You can still get a "emulation" of one at most diners, but the only one in upper bergen county I can think of that still tastes like the old timers is at Kinchley's in Ramsey NJ. They still do them correctly with the proper syrup and they're large. Delicious, but I think you need to acquire a taste for them. I know some people don't like the taste.

Egg cream Formula

Coming from the Lower East Side, egg creams were a staple in my diet during my youth. The best ones came from the old Schraffts soda counter or in the Woolworths that had luncheonette counters.

The key is adding the milk first and then the Fox U-bet syrup. The soda is added last and you must froth it up as you pour in the soda. That creates the thick head.

Jesus.........look at the recipe. If I didnt know any better, you would think I was talking about a blowjob.

Oh well...............both are terrific.

LES u frankie? i kinda pictured mulberry street . . .but now i get it --

venieros.

anyway:
c. 1977: gem spa: smp.
c. 1967: moe's: east 23 & ave v.

now where can i get a lime rickey?

the soda man brought nonna fox's u-bet,
vanilla and chocolate,
(sigh, i miss her),
hvb

Last edited:
Re: LES u frankie? i kinda pictured mulberry street . . .but now i get it --

Originally posted by h. von bingen
venieros.

anyway:
c. 1977: gem spa: smp.
c. 1967: moe's: east 23 & ave v.

now where can i get a lime rickey?

the soda man brought nonna fox's u-bet,
vanilla and chocolate,
(sigh, i miss her),
hvb
HVB,

Last time I looked, Mulberry WAS the lower east side. Stop with the Alphabet City Yuppie renaming. Avenue B is still the LES, Cherry St is still the LES, and so is Mulberry St.

BTW.......best Lime Rickey: circa 1975. The Fourty Thieves on Brighton Beach Ave & Coney Island Ave.

Remember Chicken Delight?

Francis Albert

fa la la la la

me and mr. sinatra = favorite color orange!

chicken delight you say? hvb's daddy OWNED & LOST HIS SHIRT IN . . . you guessed it: chicken delight. the von bingen family car had a chicken in a chef's hat and apron atop its roof for about 1 year. very ugo tognazzi, if you know what i mean. i loved daddy b. but he was an artist not a business man. (u aint my brother tony r u? he said he could be one of youse guyz. i had to tell him about pmb's b/c he asked HOW i met hombre!)

re: bba. when hombre wrote edelweiss for a competitor (see jag if u can), he wrote about a bba stroll. now, i know there are providers in brighton, but when i think of it is still see the baths shimmering like an oasis in the negev. this is where baby b. experimented with see-thru shirts, long slow tongue kissing under the boardwalk and rubbing her levis raw on 16 year-old-boners. (well the boners only lasted 6 minutes, but the boyz were 16.)

anything in a lime rickey in nyc?

many moons ago in a galaxy far far away,
hvb

also, nota bene: there's still quite the little neapolitan (cum moi) mafiosi contingent (albeit graying) c. 12th & 1st.

a cugino tried to pick me up at the barber shop the other day,
he didn't know i spoke his language,
hvb

Last edited:
omega zed omega zed . . .

it bothers u i'm flirting with sinatra? isn't there a sci-fi convention you could be policing?

cover me in cherry syrup,
hvb

p.s. thanks for the linc, man.
mod squad,
g-d squad,
what's the diff?
hvb

Originally posted by greekgirlinnj
im sure ill get hammered for this

but whats an egg cream

when the cook jerks off in your omelet.

actually it's a milkshake with seltzer (and preferably "U-Bet" chocolate syrup).

kouklaki . . .

try the canfield's and skim milk or that espresso soda (i forget the name of it . . . sinatra help here) and skim milk. it takes the edge off . . .

u can be slenderella,
and i'll be the wicked (fat) step mom,
hvb

When I was a kid, I believe the soda fountain stand was on 40th or 41st and broadway. I used to be a delivery boy in my early teens throughout midtown and garment center and that soda stand had an expert.
He would pump the vanilla syrup in....3 pumps...add the milk..then pull the black handle down for the seltzer, and mix with a long spoon but never look at the head, he would stop mixing it by the sound the spoon made...he knew the exact texture when it was perfect....man......too bad real estates shot up like that, and all those little stands dissapeared.

Originally posted by BigMadM
He would pump the vanilla syrup in....3 pumps...add the milk..then pull the black handle down for the seltzer
I never thought the vanilla egg creams were as good as the chocolate ones, but I did like the fountain made vanilla cokes back then.

Last edited:
when i had a cherry . . .

coke (5 cent size) daddy bada bingen drank a black and white malted. as for milk in an egg cream . . . it's like vermouth in a martini . . . u only need the essence of the milk e.g. a splash (and the froth it makes).

my 2 cents plain,
hvb

mad bad dangerous to know: r u a boy or a girl? (hombre wants to know.)

lady caroline's lamb,
hvb

Last edited: