Best Egg Cream in NYC

If your looking for a place in Manhattan then my vote is for Eisenbergs on 5th Avenue between 22 & 23rd st. They have it hands down. They do it the old school way. As Mikithemilf posted they have really good sandwiches, top sirloin burgers on a open grill, matzah ball soup. It is worth the stop by.

The secret to a great egg cream is to use partailly frozen milk. Kinda slushy consistency.
No, the secret to a great egg cream is very, very, cold milk; than seltzer under pressure so that it gets the thick, creamy, head; than good chocolate syrup poured in a thin stream through the center of the head, followed by a long teaspoon through the same spot you poured the syrup, stirring so that the spoon at the bottom of the glass is mixing the syrup with the seltzer/milk combo but not moving at all at the point in meets the white, frothy, head. Then you slowly remove the spoon.

That way the head stays frothy and white, with its very slight contrasting bitter taste, and the body underneath it sweet, fizzy and chocolate.

And THAT is a chocolate egg cream, Brooklyn style. :)

I think your 'very very cold milk' is the same thing as my slushy milk. Cold is key. My preference is vanilla though.

Is the egg cream originally from Brooklyn, or are you making that up?

not any syrup...

No, the secret to a great egg cream is very, very, cold milk; than seltzer under pressure so that it gets the thick, creamy, head; than good chocolate syrup poured in a thin stream through the center of the head, followed by a long teaspoon through the same spot you poured the syrup, stirring so that the spoon at the bottom of the glass is mixing the syrup with the seltzer/milk combo but not moving at all at the point in meets the white, frothy, head. Then you slowly remove the spoon.

That way the head stays frothy and white, with its very slight contrasting bitter taste, and the body underneath it sweet, fizzy and chocolate.

And THAT is a chocolate egg cream, Brooklyn style. :)

Purists go for only Fox U-bet

...stirring so that the spoon at the bottom of the glass is mixing the syrup with the seltzer/milk combo but not moving at all at the point in meets the white, frothy, head. Then you slowly remove the spoon....
Kind of like a beating action at the bottom of the glass. Done wrong, the egg cream is just not the same. Best if made in an old fashioned Coke glass.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Mar-joe's in Massapequa, Long Island

We called it "Marty 'n Joe's" when we were kids. For me, I'd go here with my sister and my old man every Friday evening and Saturday afternoon. Marty was this big man with a booming voice, but he was as sweet with us as anything. Joe pretty much was a prick.

This place was a lunchenette (is that a word?). It was on Hicksville Road, right where the Baskin 'n Robbins was. Later, they added a Taco Bell. I am not sure if the OTB is there, but that's where my old man would head. He'd drop us off with a roll of quarters to play "Asteroids" or pinball (later, Pacman) and spend about an hour or so at the OTB. Then he'd see Fat Nick, the bookie.

My sister would always get an egg-cream and I would get a cherry soda (I haven't had a cherry soda in years). To this day, my sister says she hasn't had an egg cream like the ones she had at Marty 'n Joe's. Great memory...

Another memory of that place: during the 1981 NHL Playoffs, the Islanders and Rangers squared off against one another. Fat Nick bet my father 40 cherry sodas to his 20 egg creams that the Rangers would win. I still remember getting those cherry sodas and Nick feigning disgust! Great memory...

Gavy

When did they close? That's the original location, been there for 90 years or something. They were open back in July when I passed by.

You sure it's not just for renovations or something.

They share the block with the Bingo Hall a few stores and some Italian restaurant (Sorento's?). They've been saying they wanted to renovate that entire block and Landmark the Jahns for years.