Best Egg Cream in NYC

Well since its summer I figured it be a good time to find out who still makes these old fashioned sodas. I personally have never had one but hear that if you try the real thing your hooked for life. Any oldtimers who still know where to find the genuine Egg Cream. I've heard there are alot of poor imitations out there.

Unless they're using Ubets* syrup and genuine glass bottled seltzer.... It ain't a real NY Egg Cream. Most places today use tap water hooked up to a Co2 unit to give it it's fizz..... and THAT AIN'T SELTZER.

*Bosco is better tasting syrup.... but not when it comes to egg creams.

Eisenberg's....5th ave and 23rd....great sandwiches...old skool ..The Tuna sandwich is great , big overstuffed chopped liver, old fashioned soda fountain, Cherry Lime Rickeys,egg creams...HEAVEN!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Eisenberg's....5th ave and 23rd....great sandwiches...old skool ..The Tuna sandwich is great , big overstuffed chopped liver, old fashioned soda fountain, Cherry Lime Rickeys,egg creams...HEAVEN!!!!!!!!
I agree 100%

I don't think they've done anything to this place since they first opened. One of the best pastrami sandwiches in the city (aside from the obvious)

Jahn's in Richmond Hill still makes one as does Eddies in Forest Hills. Both have the old fashioned soda jerks and use real seltzer and Ubets.
I've been to Eddies a few times. Your right Great egg creams. Also real good ice cream.
Wan't to happy about Jahn's but that was at least 5 years ago

Last edited:
Jahn's isn't what it was, but they still make a wicked egg cream.

Eddie's last I was there bout 2 years ago still made their own ice cream. They carry a ready made brand but when it comes to choc, vanilla and maybe three or four other popular flavors.... it's their own home made.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
The Best egg cream in the city is made by a litttle-newspaper candy store in the East Village. It's on Avenue A near East 7th.

You talking about the shake and fries place? (just South of Odessa) There ain't no newspapers in there. The place is also VERY unlcean. When I went there a while back, the place had this foul odor to it. But still, I had a shake and fries. Not only made me sick and gassy, but my flatulence smleed exactly like the foul odor the place had, so there wasn't much doubt in my mind as to where I got it from.

You have to be a real masochist to eat there.

How can I break this to all you restaurant connoisseurs gently...

I used to work for a restaurant supply company and delivered everything from silverware and cocktail glasses to floor cleaner in the late 80's and my route consisted of the entire west side from 72st down to the west village. I walked thru most kitchens and basements of the highest rated places. And all of them.... I said ALL OF THEM.... had rodent problems. Safe to say that no matter the restaurant you're eating in tonight... they have rats in their cellar.

Remember... No matter where you are in Manhattan the buildings are average 50 to 100 years old and older, built on top of subway and old water tunnels and under ground canals..... You've got rats everywhere.

I walked thru most kitchens and basements of the highest rated places. And all of them.... I said ALL OF THEM.... had rodent problems. Safe to say that no matter the restaurant you're eating in tonight... they have rats in their cellar.
That is no doubt true. But wouldn't you agree that there is a big difference between rats in the cellar and rats cavorting about in the dining area?