Best Chinese in NYC (5 boroughs,Long Island,NJ,CT)

The Restaurants in Flushing are all great. We go to many and there is one on 41st Ave RiFu Korean Chinese, The cold noodle soup is awesome. All the dishes are unique, of Course there Joes Shanghai, and Sh Chue Shanghai near princes street. And you can get a dinner for 2 for around $14

Does anyone know of any Chinese Restaurant in NJ that serve real Chinese food (Chinatown food)? I moved to NJ a year and a half ago and and have not been able to find any. I am in the Hamilton-Princeton area.
You are right, there is really nothing good around Princeton area, you may have to drive further north on route 1 to hit Edison area, there are plenty of good chinese restaurant there.
In Princeton area, you may want to try Penang in the shopping mall where Homedepot is, and a very good new Thai restaurant on Nassau Street.

Haven't reviewed entire thread but

based on a random sampling of Chinese restaurants in lower Manhattan. Below street level restaurants are the best. The higher up go, the more pretentious and price/performance falls way down.

Rule of thumb, folks. Sometimes abbreviated, ROT. But the closer the center of the Earth, the better.

You should be aware that many restaurants (the less expensive ones) in China Town have two menus, one for us round eyes who like to order things like egg rolls, shrimp in lobster sauce and such. They make their profit from us.

They have a second menu written entirely in Chinese for the Chinese locals (shop merchants, grocery store employees, etc.). The items on the second menu are not at all fancy or exotic. These restaurants don't want to take advantage of these locals.

The only reason I was able to get this meal at this price was because of the Chinese guy we always went with knew the restaurant owner.
Real Chinese food, the kind eaten by real Chinese folks? I think you mean real Chinese food made for us round eyed tourists.

You should be aware that many restaurants (the less expensive ones) in China Town have two menus,..
I will expand on this. ALL Chinese restaurants, no matter where they are, operate this way. When I go to The Orient on LI I never look at a menu. (No I'm not Asian). But I know the staff and just go with house special recommendations which are never printed on the menu.

I have been to Wo Hop a million times. One time I went with a Chinese friend who speaks the language. All communication with staff was in Chinese and we were served the most outrageous, over-the-top food I ever ate there.

There are many styles in Chinese cuisine, I on the most part prefer Cantonese. My favorite place is in Flushing and it's on Prince St. directly across from the parking lot near the Sheraton Hotel. It has a large red awning and I've been there about a hundred times and they are the best in that particular style.

There are many other places all over Flushing that are clean and consistant.
Flushing mall has a place that Anthony Bordain went to visit, they make pork hambugers that are addictive. They started in a basement on Main St. that was one of many places crammed next to eachother, but now they have a great place in the mall(walk in the main entrance walk straight and all the way to the left). Enjoy!

chinese style vietnamese rest.

great thread bump!

there is a fabulous chinese style vietnamese place in e. chinatown.

its 1 block in from the intersection of allen st and e broadway on the east side of broadway.

i dont rememer the name or address but...

the food is outstanding!

Last edited:
I will expand on this. ALL Chinese restaurants, no matter where they are, operate this way. When I go to The Orient on LI I never look at a menu. (No I'm not Asian). But I know the staff and just go with house special recommendations which are never printed on the menu.

I have been to Wo Hop a million times. One time I went with a Chinese friend who speaks the language. All communication with staff was in Chinese and we were served the most outrageous, over-the-top food I ever ate there.
I became aware of a personal connection with one of their waiters (Wo Hop), and I discovered salt and pepper shrimp owing to his recommendation.
On the other hand, I'm not Andrew Zimmer so I appreciate guidance...at a Viet/Cambodian restaurant recently I ordered pork, and the waitress had the courage/insight to ask if I liked to eat pork skin, since that's what it was. I settled for her suggestion of calamari, and it was fabulous.

Last edited:
In Staten Island, I love Chin Chin Palace in the Shoprite shopping center at Richmond and Forest avenues. it has booths but mostly take out. Excellent food and for me, as good as china town.

I have gone to hundreds of these restaurants due to the fact that my SO is Chinese and all Chinese are food critics from the moment they leave the womb. The problem with these restaurants, is that their seems to be great range of quality depending on the chef you get. They do not exactly have quality control programs within these restaurants.

The othe funny thing about going to Chinese restaurants meant for Chinese, is that in alot of cases, the Americans do not get the same menus as the Chinese and many times it is mutiples times smaller. One time I got something not bigger than an index card when the week before when I went with my wife, I got a 16 page menu. LOL True.

There are many styles in Chinese cuisine, I on the most part prefer Cantonese. My favorite place is in Flushing and it's on Prince St. directly across from the parking lot near the Sheraton Hotel. It has a large red awning and I've been there about a hundred times and they are the best in that particular style.

There are many other places all over Flushing that are clean and consistant.
Flushing mall has a place that Anthony Bordain went to visit, they make pork hambugers that are addictive. They started in a basement on Main St. that was one of many places crammed next to eachother, but now they have a great place in the mall(walk in the main entrance walk straight and all the way to the left). Enjoy!
That place changes owners like ever 8 months. They have the most reasonable Dim Sum.

I have gone to hundreds of these restaurants due to the fact that my SO is Chinese and all Chinese are food critics from the moment they leave the womb. The problem with these restaurants, is that their seems to be great range of quality depending on the chef you get. They do not exactly have quality control programs within these restaurants.

The othe funny thing about going to Chinese restaurants meant for Chinese, is that in alot of cases, the Americans do not get the same menus as the Chinese and many times it is mutiples times smaller. One time I got something not bigger than an index card when the week before when I went with my wife, I got a 16 page menu. LOL True.
I couldn't agree more. For example, I like New York Noodletown in Manhattan's Chinatown. But I've found that late Sunday night, the food is awful. During the week in the evening, it can be really good.

Someone once pointed out to me that the turnover in the kitchen in many of these restaurants is quite high, because they rely a lot on illegal immigrant labor, which is somewhat transient.

A friend of mine married to a Chinese husband once told me that she sends him into the Dim Sum restaurants ahead of her to secure a table, because the restaurant staff will seat him nearer to the kitchen, so they get the food while it's still hot and while there's more of a choice. There's definitely favoratism in play.

I really like Amazing 66. They are located on Mott Street just south of Canal. They have great lunch specials,. Just make sure you ask for the lunch menu. $6.99 for lunch cash. Great spareribs, crispy duck and chicken. Also New Chao Chow on 111 Mott Street has superb Wonton soup.

I recently went to Golden Unicorn for Dim Sum with a Chinese date. The food was excellent, we even caught a Chinese flick at the Sunshine Theatre-Red Cliff. Pretty good movie.