Best Chinese in NYC (5 boroughs,Long Island,NJ,CT)

here is a new addition

sam gahn wok

on northern blvd in flushing.

outstanding korean style chinese food .
i think you might mean sam won gak, and if you do, i just went here recently for the first time as well, and was very impressed. i wasn't really sure what the korean-chinese dishes were (i guess the ones i didnt recognize off a regular korean menu?), but all i ordered was korean bbq meats for the most part. the meat was succulent, and the charcoal-barbeque roasted them in a way that was much better than typical gas-fired heat. i let the the strips of meat sit over the coals for a little longer than the waitress wanted to cook them for, and it was perfect this way. carmelized and slightly charred on the outside, but moist and tender on the inside.

incidentally, the reason i went to sam gahn wok was because my flushing favorite, little pepper, was closed. best szechuan in the city (not by far, though, spicy & tasty 2 blocks away and a rare manhattan szechuan output can compete)..

billyS

Reign of Terror
There's this little take out place across the street from me, their roast pork lo main is out of this world.
Since I'm sure you don't want 10,000 mongers knowing where you work or live I guess you can't give the location of this place.
Too bad, I love a good roast pork lo main.

Jing Fong is cool cause it has that traditional banquet hall-style atmosphere, but it can be hit or miss.. when its bad, it can be pretty bad...

With all due respect to out Chinese Brothers, I don't think these is much even decent Chinese food in NYC, let alone the Burbs. What passes for Chinese food here, pales in comparison to what is now available in China. My childhood memories of Chinese food is that the 'Rents bought it bec. it is (and they were) cheap!

No more moo shoo,

Chels

JL, yes. I have spent a great deal of time working in China and enjoying the food. My favorite story is while working in Shenzen, I asked what the fish was that we were having for dinner one night. After much scurrying around and jabbering, my host replied, "It is River Fish or fish from the river!"

On the coast, there IS lots of fish. And everywhere there are lots of veggies and fruit. And, of course, rice is ubiquitous in many forms.

Generally speaking I've found the food in China to be totally different than the run of the mill Chinese restaurants here. That said (1) there is always the issue of eating dog meat over there - you can see dog carcasses hanging in some of the shops in the small markets (2) I'm sure there are some excellent Chinese Restaurants in Chinatown but I have very little interest in seeking them out.

Enjoy,

Chels

I have to say that Wo Hop is my favorite. In fact, I find it hard to eat anywhere else. Roast port Chow Fun with sliced pork is my favorite.
I also go to Peking Duck for the duck and for the steamed pork dumplings- amazing.
Now I've moved my office and am looking for a good place near Penn Station. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PHO 89 - chinese style vietnamese

great thread bump!

there is a fabulous chinese style vietnamese place in e. chinatown.

its 1 block in from the intersection of allen st and e broadway on the east side of broadway.

i dont rememer the name or address but...

the food is outstanding!

Here is the info on this place:

PHO 89

89 East Broadway, NYC

how would you describe the chinese influence at this place (pho 89)? i'd think that a vietnamese-run pho joint would be best...

speaking of pho, though, i'd like to put in my recommendation for Cong Ly, at 124 Hester St @ Bowery. There are many pho outlets in manhattan, most of them passable, but Cong Ly is a slight cut above the rest. Noodles springier, broth a little more deeply flavored, meat quality about the same.