Best bagels ?

MrNY

Subject to blackouts
ozzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"...seafood....steves pier one bayville, long island ..."

you lost it there.........

besides new owers - not the same as it was in the 80's

good food - good atmosphere - good service - good wine list - large selection of shellfish

over-rated diner

Originally posted by Monk

<snip>

You're all so smart, what about the best potato knish? My vote (both for bagels and knishes) goes to Yona Shimmel on Houston near Orchard Street (near Russ and Daughters, the best lox place in New York). Very "old fashioned".
Best Knish: Azuri. 51st and 10th. Completely untraditional. Amazing taste. (So is everything else he has, and he's right down the street from somewhere)

Bagels

There is only one best. Essa Bagel 21st and 1st. Chewy and large type. I love the everything variety.

Seafood, Jolly Fisherman in Roslyn Village.

Ribs, Majors in Woodbury

Knish, Mrs. Stahls, whereever you are.

Taken from 57 years of experience.

Steak--The Palm in NYC
Burton and Doyle or Rothmans (same owners) on LI
And, of course Peter Luger my second fav.
Italian Food: Parkside near Spaghetti Park in Corona

Jewish Food Sammy's Romanian or the Classier Spot, Triplets.

Carl M

Hanging by a thread
TNS you are right on Some!

Im not an expert on City Bagels, but I have been to the Jolly Fisherman its OK- Riverbay in Williston Park is Better also, Old Dock Inn over looking Kings Park Bluff is very good! As to Steak yes the Palm over on Second Ave is good for Prime ribs only! Steak sucks! Sparks is much better for Steak. Italian- Orlandos in St James is great also Donatellos in Sayville and Siempre Vivillos(Dawns favorite) in Hauppauge.

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
I like the Palm as well, especially the waiters who ask, "whaddya want"? and when you ask , "whaddya have"?, they roll their eyes and say "steak". A true landmark establishment like the Oyster House at GC, Gage and Tollner in Bklyn, Lugers, The White Horse, etc. I miss NYC! sometimes.
take care HP( still have a problem with the "best" anything)

Carl, you got to get off the Island more often :)

[Edited by Hotpuppy on 07-25-2001 at 11:23 AM]

Steaks

OK, this is one of my New York secrets, but I guess I can share it with you guys. Cafe Rialto on 16th between Seventh and Eighth serves the best fillet in New York, hands down. It's meant to be a Spanish seafood joint, but the $18.95 fillet (really a Steak Frites) is the best thing on their menu. And it really is a joint, frequented by lots of tourists (they must be listed in Fodors) and neighborhood regulars. The jukebox at the bar, packed with latin artists, "entertains" you through your meal. Yet, even though the atmosphere leaves something to be desired, I've never found a steak as good. I think it has something to do with the seasoning. But they also always cook it just right. They have a sister restaurant in the meat packing district called Rio Mar (amazingly, same atmosphere. But if you sit upstairs, you get less of the jukebox).

I've been to Palm, Wollensky, Peter Lugar, Morgans, etc., and they simply don't compare. And why pay, what is it now, $30+ at Wollensky when you can get better for $18.95? (Although, if you're on an expense account...)

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Dont know Rialto, but Riazor is right there on 16th bet. 7th and 8th and it too is a Spanish( Ecuadorian) joint with fine seafood and great steaks. Havent thought about the place in years since I left Chelsea.
HP( still wondering what "best" means)

Carl, you can rise above it! :)

[Edited by Hotpuppy on 07-25-2001 at 12:26 PM]

HP Yah gonna thank me

In Manchester, just down the road from the Lani's the rib place is an Italian Rest. These people use to own a family style rest on Longiland called Matteos. It is fantastic. Name, mebe Villa Rosa mebe something else. Not Garlic Johns. Just there last year and it was the same menu and receipe as their rest on LI. Try it you will like it. By the way I miss Lani's ribs. I might be there for dinner over Labor Day weekend.

Carl M

You can apply for EZPass you know. Thats all you need to get off Long Island.

Isnt it great that the Northeast has such good eating joints. Everyone has his favorite and you know what, I bet they are all good.
Off to Rothmans for a Steak and Ale.

always get turned off to Peter Luger's. for one it's in the worst, filthiest, rat infested area (under the WillyB bridge), it stinks when you walk in the place. and two...my sister who's a typical LI snob with no taste...luvs that place.

MrNY

Subject to blackouts
actually.......

i love rothmann's - but you have to sit in the back room

i also really like burton and doyle's - but, u can't sit/have dinner in the bar area

seafood, rivrebay is awesome

italian - siempre vivalo, mario's (downthe road) or benny's in westbury - i also, LOVE piccolo busela

so, i love long island (and own 2 ez-passes)......

MrNY

The back room at Rothman's is the Library. I love that room. Next time there try the Sterling Cabernet. A bit pricey at 12. per glass but comparable to a 100. vintage cabernet.

Benny's is great. Just discovered my newest favorite Italian Rest in Woodbury. Across from the Oyster Bay golf course. Buterea's. Great pasta and salad place. Try it.

Burton & Doyle and Rothmans are owned by the Scotto Brothers, veterin restauraunteurs that really know the business.

Riverbay

I used to eat there 2 or 3 times a week, in the middle of the week. A few years ago I was going to entertain a client there and called for a reservation. Of course they do not take res for only 4 on a Sat night but they said they would take care of me.
Take care of me they did After an hour and a half at the bar, drunk as a skunk I walked over to one of the owners and told him that I was the guy that was there when the restaurant needs the business, during the week. That I would give him 30 more minutes to seat me or I was leaving. He did not accomodate me. I left, have never been back there or to any on the other two restaurants he owns on Long Island.
As they say in Greek, "Fuckem".

MrNY

Subject to blackouts
Tucker.........

Tucker - i didn't know that you spoke greek ?!?!

And, the way, i stubbled onto burton and doyle, was because of reservations at rothmann's they recommended me - i've been hooked since - i like both - b&d is just a bit more quiet and intimate...

riverbay and their reservations are ridiculous !!! i too have sat in that (crowded, smoke-filled) bar for hours - WITH RESERVATIONS and complained plenty..... one time (1), i complained ot the owner (the big tall guy) and called bryant and cooper, made "his table" available and sent us over there and bought us dessert - rivrebay's seating structure sucks - but, great fish - so, for fish, it's jolly fisherman in roslyn

by the way, butera's is GREAT - there is another (the original) in massapequa

try the place in the same shopping center as butera's in woodbury - it's a caribean/mexican place - very nice...

more places to go:

Mazzi -
Mazzi Restaurant
493 E Jericho Tpke (just east of 110)
Huntington Sta, NY 11746-7311
Phone: (631)421-3390
(get the private room upstairs if you have a party of 4+)

Siepre Vivalo / Mario's - Hauppauge

Barney's in locust valley (ONLY if you get the private room upstairs)

Gemelli Ristorante
175 E Main St
Babylon, NY 11702-3509
Phone: (631)321-6392

one of my all-time-favorites:

El Parador Cafe Inc
325 E 34th St
New York, NY ZipCode
Phone: (212)679-6812

and

Rosa's Place Restaurant
303 W 48th St
New York, NY 10036-1348
Phone: (212)586-4853

Carl M

Hanging by a thread
MR NY- Que Pasa!!

If you like Siempre Vivilos and Mazzi- definitely try Orlandos in St James- best freakin baked clams around- you gotta use the Italian bread to soak up all the clam/garlic juice- Try their Fra Diablo- extra hot! Excellent! Dessert try their tiramisu!