Best bagels ?

MrNY

Subject to blackouts
Either Brighton Beach - off Neptune - across from Trump Village

or, on Jericho Tpk in Cold Spring Harbor - in a little strip mall - Run by a really personable Asian gentleman and his family - those actually might be THE best .....

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
I am always fascinated by these "best" something threads. Is the purpose to express ones extreme satisfaction with that particular something, or to posit that one thing is best among all like things? Even when there are statistics to a certain thing, there is rarely, if ever, any agreement on which is best. So can someone pick me up a dozen and Fedex them overnight, Please!
take care HP

[Edited by Hotpuppy on 07-23-2001 at 05:22 PM]

There's a place on 30th and 7th.... I can't recall the name, but it has far and away the best spreads for bagels in the city. Try the whitefish salad. If you don't mind the fact that they also boast the rudest help in New York, then it's definitely worth checking out.

on queens blvd. and 77av on the asme side as the court house there is a great place that has flat bagels also. seems to be the last good place left in queens when there used to be several.

also theres a "pick-a-bagel" in the 70's and 3rd/lex av???.....some friends are always raving about the place...not the bagels but the couner girl. don't know if she's still there however.....

Carl M

Hanging by a thread
HP- Bagels for Molsen!

Come to next LI UG G2G!
In my area of Suffolk-
There are 2 Bagel stores where the lines are 30+ long on a Sunday and the bagels at one are 50% larger than standard size- ONE IF BUY BAGELS in Setauket- 25A/Bennetts RD- probably the best in Suffolk County, 2nd best is in Nesconset- BOULEVARD BAGELS- Smithtown Blvd near the new AMP that opened up.

Originally posted by Hotpuppy
I am always fascinated by these "best" something threads. Is the purpose to express ones extreme satisfaction with that particular something, or to posit that one thing is best among all like things? Even when there are statistics to a certain thing, there is rarely, if ever, any agreement on which is best. So can someone pick me up a dozen and Fedex them overnight, Please!
take care HP
HP.

The guys around here can't resist rating the perfection of anything with a hole in it.

fish

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Re: HP- Bagels for Molsen!

Originally posted by Carl M
Come to next LI UG G2G!
In my area of Suffolk-
There are 2 Bagel stores where the lines are 30+ long on a Sunday and the bagels at one are 50% larger than standard size- ONE IF BUY BAGELS in Setauket- 25A/Bennetts RD- probably the best in Suffolk County, 2nd best is in Nesconset- BOULEVARD BAGELS- Smithtown Blvd near the new AMP that opened up.
I'd love to Carl , but it just cannot happen for me mid-week. Oh BTW, a bigger bagel( with a bigger hole?) is not always a better bagel- the great ones of my youth in the Bronx, were smaller and chewier than the current "balloon" bagel that seems to be preferred these days.
take care HP

Everyone in these "best" threads is a great joker.

'Cause everyone knows that the best bagels, like the best pizza and best deli, are all in Brooklyn.\

Now, where do you think I'm from.

Skelly ducking.

The real question is: Do you like them chewy or soft?

I thought H&H was supposed to have the best? Personally, I usually get Murray's, but only because they're close by.

You're all so smart, what about the best potato knish? My vote (both for bagels and knishes) goes to Yona Shimmel on Houston near Orchard Street (near Russ and Daughters, the best lox place in New York). Very "old fashioned".

SC...

pizza.... bayridge, brooklyn

bagels....kew gardens/forest hills, queens

seafood....steves pier one bayville, long island

steak.... galaghers w52st nyc.