Basic STD Testing

Hi, I 've been doing this hobby for around a year now. Even though I believe that I am healthy I want to get tested in order to make sure that I am 100%.

I am wondering what are the best options:

a. going through my insurance provider and getting it done that way.

b. going to a free clinic.

c. paying for testing myself.

If I did go through a regular health provider that is associated w/ my insurance company, are there any risks that I have to worry about.

thanks in advanced,
theapprentice

PS

I have never taken a std test and was never really sexually active before getting involved w/ the hobby.

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
If you're in New York City, go to one of the many free STD clinics. You can get your HIV screening anonymously. For the rest of the tests, you'll have to give them your name. The last time I went, they even asked for my ID. I'm not sure if they'll do Hep C screening anonymously, and if you're not in a high risk group, they may not do it at all.

Thanks for the info!

If you're in New York City, go to one of the many free STD clinics. You can get your HIV screening anonymously. For the rest of the tests, you'll have to give them your name. The last time I went, they even asked for my ID. I'm not sure if they'll do Hep C screening anonymously, and if you're not in a high risk group, they may not do it at all.
I do live in the NYC area. I will check out one of the free clinics. Do you have to wait a long time? Should I take a day off from work?

theapprentice

If you go to the one on West 106th Street in Manhattan and arrive first thing (I can't remember if it's 8am or 8:30am), you can usually get out in a reasonable amount of time. But I really mean "first thing" -- if there are 10 people ahead of you, you'll be there for quite a while. The only thing that bugs me about the clinics is that they won't write a prescription -- they dispense the medication right there. So, if you need another dose, you have to go back. It's really inconvenient! But, on the other hand, it's free and relatively anonymous, so you have to trade one off against the other.

Apprentice, pusie is right. Don't use your employer's medical insurer. Any result will be placed into your medical file and will be available for anyone to see.

HEY message 69, is just fine!

I get blood work done every three - four months, thru my GP, when i'm there I ask them to 'throw in a hiv test' - been doing it now for three years without a problem.

Barnabas

Last edited:
Apprentice, pusie is right. Don't use your employer's medical insurer. Any result will be placed into your medical file and will be available for anyone to see.
What?! Really? I'm admittedly ignorant when it comes to this sort of thing, but how in the world is your medical information "available for anyone to see"? I can understand your info. going in public records for statistical information, or for the health department to inform your previous partners of an HIV infection, but it seems you're saying that proof of just the testing alone becomes public record or something. Is that true?? I just can't believe it. I had a whole battery of tests done right before I left my last office job as part of my yearly physical. What's the big deal? Are outsiders trying to access my medial records? why?

I do live in the NYC area. I will check out one of the free clinics. Do you have to wait a long time? Should I take a day off from work?

theapprentice
There is another city run clinic in Chelsea. Be prepared to spend the entire day there. Also be prepared to watch the same crappy informational video over and over and over again.

There is another city run clinic in Chelsea. Be prepared to spend the entire day there. Also be prepared to watch the same crappy informational video over and over and over again.
That's why you should go to the one on West 103rd Street (I think I said 106th before, but I was incorrect). If you get there first thing, when they first open, you don't have to spend the whole day there.

I believe that there are clinics in the other boroughs, as well, but I've never checked any of them out because the 103rd Street one has worked out just fine.

I use www.stdweb.com

You pay by CC, they set you up an appointment to get blood drawn at a Quest Diagnostics or something similar (and give you a code name so you don't give your real name) and then they post the results on a secure website. Only record is the CC payment. And they will test you for EVERYTHING. Cost for full test is about $500.

I know that sounds like a lot, but if you are going to participate in the hobby and do things you need to get tested for worrying about cost is a bit silly.

The problem isn't that your test info becomes public information (as in, your GF can look it up) but that it goes into a database which insurance companies might use in the future to deny you coverage.

The private services that offer anonymous testing (like STDweb or the doc on Central Park South who is always advertising in the Village Voice) are a lot more expensive than going to your local doctor. In fact, I went to the Central Park South guy for years but he seems to have turned most of his practice into a very expensive STD test mill, and some of his tests (like a blood test for chlamydia rather than a urine test) are of questionable accuracy.

You can do HIV and hep C testing anonymously at home with the Home Access tests, which you can either order online or buy at many pharmacies. They give relatively quick results and are FDA-approved.

I have resorted to going to walk-in doctors with a false name, address, and ss#. No one has asked to see an id. Fortunately I've never tested positive, so I've never needed to have a prescription filled under a false name, but I don't imagine that would be a problem.

Finally, if you are concerned about passing something on to your GF, you should get checked for HPV (genital warts) which can cause much bigger problems for her (sterility, cervical cancer) than they ever will for you. And this is easier to get than you think, condoms offer no guarantee of protection.
The problem is that they can take weeks or even months to show up, and not many docs are prepared to do the testing, which basically involves rubbing a vinegar-soaked rag over your dick. The last time I went for this test, I was surprised that the doc turned out to be an extremely attractive female. Fortunately, nothing moved, so no one was embarrassed (although I guess it would have been even more embarrassing if it had moved while a guy was examining me).

Now you know why I post so rarely, I'm too paralyzed by my knowledge and fear of STD's to do anything myself, so I live vicariously through everyone else here.

From today's CL (who says that CL is only good for finding hookers)

FREE STD TESTING
Reply to: [*****]sale-368446075@craigslist.org[/*****]
Date: 2007-07-07, 9:37AM EDT

FREE STD TESTING

BUSHWICK CLINIC
335 CENTRAL AVE BTW GROVE&LINDEN
B46 TO GATES TRANSFER TO THE B52 TO CENTRAL OR
A-TRAIN TO BROADWAY JUNCTION TRANSFER TO THE J TRAIN TO GATE AND WALK TWO BLOCKS UP TO CENTRAL
MON-FRI 8;30-4;00
ITS FREE U DONT NEED I'D OR MEDICAID.
FREE CONDOMS

Last edited:
I believe Planned Parenthood is also an option (at least it was the last time I checked a few years ago). Anonymous (they assign you a code), complete (they test for everything), and relatively comfortable. Some of their locations have specific days and times set aside for "male services".

Local Provider

Between the military which does annual HIV testing and my local provider who I've had give me a full STD screen about every six months...I've been tested reasonably thoroughly. As long as I don't show positive for anything reportable then it's all good. On the other hand, if I do come down positive, then I'm fucked....but at that point it's pretty redundant...

I once got Gonorrhea from a bbbj and had it treated through my regular insurance provider - who asked me if I'd been seeing prostitutes. I remained silent. This was several years ago and now I'm hearing anybody can see that? Of course getting gonorrhea doesn't necessarily mean you're a hobbyist in and of itself, right?

hello i need some help... i got the "works" std testing done through my health care provider and all results were negative. the hsv test was a igm which ive heard was pointless. now that i paid the bill (the left over from what insurance didnt cover), i got a letter from my doctor stating i need to get a "maintenance physical". im only 20 years old. i was wondering if they found something wrong and just didnt tell me. now they want me to come get checked again to see what kinda coverage the insurance program? someone explain please

There is a clinic on Central Park South near Seventh Avenue that will do complete STD testing for $200, HIV test is an extra $50. You make an apppointment and you are in and out real quick. You can get your results the same day if you test before 3:00pm. Also, you don't have to give your real name.
Best deal around that I could find.

The problem isn't that your test info becomes public information (as in, your GF can look it up) but that it goes into a database which insurance companies might use in the future to deny you coverage.

The private services that offer anonymous testing (like STDweb or the doc on Central Park South who is always advertising in the Village Voice) are a lot more expensive than going to your local doctor. In fact, I went to the Central Park South guy for years but he seems to have turned most of his practice into a very expensive STD test mill, and some of his tests (like a blood test for chlamydia rather than a urine test) are of questionable accuracy.

You can do HIV and hep C testing anonymously at home with the Home Access tests, which you can either order online or buy at many pharmacies. They give relatively quick results and are FDA-approved.

I have resorted to going to walk-in doctors with a false name, address, and ss#. No one has asked to see an id. Fortunately I've never tested positive, so I've never needed to have a prescription filled under a false name, but I don't imagine that would be a problem.

Finally, if you are concerned about passing something on to your GF, you should get checked for HPV (genital warts) which can cause much bigger problems for her (sterility, cervical cancer) than they ever will for you. And this is easier to get than you think, condoms offer no guarantee of protection.
The problem is that they can take weeks or even months to show up, and not many docs are prepared to do the testing, which basically involves rubbing a vinegar-soaked rag over your dick. The last time I went for this test, I was surprised that the doc turned out to be an extremely attractive female. Fortunately, nothing moved, so no one was embarrassed (although I guess it would have been even more embarrassing if it had moved while a guy was examining me).

Now you know why I post so rarely, I'm too paralyzed by my knowledge and fear of STD's to do anything myself, so I live vicariously through everyone else here.
The above information is correct as far as all your medical history hobbying and/or otherwise goes into a medical database called the MIB Which all insurance providers have access too through the general release you sign when you apply for coverage. You are entitled to a copy of this file to check it for accuracy (although they may insist on sending it to your physician so that information in it can be explained to you. You also have the right to request incorrect information be corrected or deleted. This is just like you being entitled to a copy of your credit report(s) to check it for accuracy. Insurance providers check your credit report to determine your premiums, both health insurance and persoanl, home, liability etc. Employers can also require a copy of employees credit report to help them determine your reliability for the job as well as criminal & background checks as well & can deny employment based on any of these factors. There is usually a questionon job applications asking if you have ever been convicted of a crime. YOU CAN ANSWER KNOW IF YOU WERE ARRESTED AS LONG AS YOU WERE NOT CONVICTED.

Last edited:
There is a clinic on Central Park South near Seventh Avenue that will do complete STD testing for $200, HIV test is an extra $50. You make an apppointment and you are in and out real quick. You can get your results the same day if you test before 3:00pm. Also, you don't have to give your real name.
Best deal around that I could find.
Great info.

I think I have been there once for a totally different reason.

I don't remember the info, but I guess I will just walk by.

Last edited: