Bad Beat Stories.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
pjorourke said:
If thats not a lucky draw for AK, I don't know what is. Thus, from AA's perspective its a "Bad Beat", regardless of the bets or strategy or whatever.
I assume that's addressed to JackT et al, because that's my point exactly; which is why I used it to illustrate an example of when a bad beat can occur even when correct play is made.

Slinky Bender

JackT said:
slinky, you would say that your opponent, who raises preflop AKs vs. AA made an "incorrect play"?
Yes, his hand is terribly dominated throughout the hand; and yes, he "beat" AA on the river... BUT for AA to be complaining about a "bad beat" here strikes me as ridiculous... his opponent played correctly! He didn't make an INCORRECT PLAY and get lucky....
Sorry if I take Doyle Brunson's word* over yours as to what a bad beat is.

* as well as the majority of poker sources.

Waterclone said:
Not pure chance. I'd say NL hold em is about 70% skill and 30% chance. A lot like life. 95% of the time, I win the pot. So I can take the loss the other 5%.

bwahahahahahahahaha!

Actually it's more like 90% chance and 10% skill... that's it (and I'm being generous). But that's all the edge you need to be successful.

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
Tournament 5 handed action. I had pocket 5's and was on the big blind. One caller and no raisers. I didnt bother to raise because low pockets are like...you know, anyways flop comes out 5 c 7c and 5 s.

I slow play of course. check check

turn is 4c check, bet I reraise he calls.

river is 3 c, check bet, reraise he goes all in I call.

I triumphantly throw down my 4 of a kind and he smugly turned over his 6d, 6 c.

luckily I had some chips left over and came in 2nd overall.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Ozzy said:
bwahahahahahahahaha!

Actually it's more like 90% chance and 10% skill... that's it (and I'm being generous). But that's all the edge you need to be successful.
The implication here would be that, at the big tourneys, 9 out of 10 at the final table would be lucky, and one skillful.

A lot of these final table get the same pros, over and over again.

Luck is a factor, and in a race, as they say, I'd rather be lucky than good. But over the long haul, I think skill is a much bigger factor than luck.

It's a lot like backgammon. Newbies think that because there are dice involved, luck is a much bigger factor than it really is. They always get beat and blame the dice. They don't realize that what a good player does is set up the board so almost any roll of the dice will help them, and seem lucky.

Waterclone said:
The implication here would be that, at the big tourneys, 9 out of 10 at the final table would be lucky, and one skillful.
I think at the multi-table tourneys, NOBODY makes the final table without being lucky along the way. (speaking from experience and observation here). That said, it's really about avoiding mistakes and pressing +EV edges along the way. Those who are better at that, and better at adjusting to table conditions, do better at poker OVER THE LONG HAUL.
You are absolutely right that "over the long haul . . . skill is a much bigger factor than luck."

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Cloud Nine said:
I once lost on a 4 of a kind to a straight flush hit on the river.

I once caught a straight flush on the river to beat quads.

Was it you? Pokerroom.com. The quads were 7s.

Did anyone see the horrible suckouts on the WPT recently. Season 3, Bay 101 Shooting Stars of Poker?

Danny Nguyen caught everything. JJ against QQ, and he makes a set on the turn, and quads on the river.

Then later, he was all-in with A7 against A K, and again, 7 on the turn and 7 on the river.

There were a lot of others as well. Never saw a final table quite like it.

I know that this seems to go against what I was saying about luck and skill earlier, but I stand by that. Luck is there, but skill is a bigger part of the game.

More to the point... At the final table, often luck plays a bigger part than earlier in the tourney. But it takes skill to get that far. Watching on TV we tend to see a lot more of the luck than the skill, but that's good television, not always a true representation of reality.

Slinky Bender

Waterclone said:
More to the point... At the final table, often luck plays a bigger part than earlier in the tourney.
2 of the biggest reasons:

1) The range of skill levels is greatest at the beginning, where you have pople who have no idea what they are doing at the same tables with guys who are sharks. As the tournement progresses, the skill level tend to "homogenize". The more the skill levels are the same, the more luck affects who the winner is.

2) At the final table, you get less players. Less players, bigger blinds, more chance luck beats skill.

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Waterclone said:
Did anyone see the horrible suckouts on the WPT recently. Season 3, Bay 101 Shooting Stars of Poker?

Danny Nguyen caught everything. JJ against QQ, and he makes a set on the turn, and quads on the river.

Then later, he was all-in with A7 against A K, and again, 7 on the turn and 7 on the river.

There were a lot of others as well. Never saw a final table quite like it.
I saw that show and thought the same thing. I don't think Danny played that well, he was just lucky as hell. The only well played hand I remember was near the end when he forced Gus to fold the winning pair of Q's when he went all in with nothing.

Slinky Bender

Yup... any time anyone beats Phil it has to be luck........ he's so modest. I guess he didn't go out with the better hand on another show I saw him on recently.

Remember near the end of the recent million dollar winner-take-all tournament (the one eventually won by Annie Duke) when Phil had a 5% chance of winning and caught the 10 on the river? His comment: "what a ten" with no apologies. Had that happened to him, he would have gone ballistic. Annie proceeded to play the pants off him when they went one-on-one for all the marbles.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
That was phenomenal. I loved watching him rant and rave non-stop at the end. My favorite moment was when Annie took some huge pot. She got him to fold although she had him beat. Then she showed 1 card that implied to him that he had the better hand. She totally screwed with his head. He never got over it.