article re: Patriot Act

(Or you could just ask me if it has anything to do with you and, if so, what you have to do about it.

That will, however, cost you $450 an hour. I've already done the work. Maybe I can sell it again a few times.)

If you live a law abiding life you'll never have to worry about any of this.

It's funny how people are worried about their rights............... just incase they get caught breaking the law.

This gets filed away with all that non-sense about how capital punishment is NOT a deterrent....

Put a rapist or a murderer in the electric chair and fry his ass... and if he still goes out and commits another rape or murder you can tell me it's NOT a deterrent.

Originally posted by Ozzy
If you live a law abiding life you'll never have to worry about any of this.

It's funny how people are worried about their rights............... just incase they get caught breaking the law.
Actually, I'm not worried about my rights - I'm worried about other people's rights, including yours. If I wait until my rights are being infringed upon, I have waited too long to become involved. The time to become involved is when ANYONE' S rights are being infringed.

Then there is always the case of the friend of a friend, getting caught up in an ****** exchange or a telephone call. Although nothing illegal occurred, one can still be wrapped up in a guilt by association web. For example, both the Oregon and the NY "terrorist sleeper cells" have violated no laws of which I am aware of, except the vaguely worded "suport for terrorism" law. They nonetheless are in prison with charges filed.

when you break the law you shouldn't be entitled to ALL those rights.

You are entitled to the following...

1) The right to remain silent.

2) The right to obtain an attorney.

3) The right to due process.

THAT'S IT!

Nothing in the "Patriot Act" takes away those rights. Stop protecting the guilty and protect the innocent and this world will be a better place.

I used to be a liberal and leaned towards the Democrats until everyone started going over the edge with this "MY Rights" crap. If you don’t like the way things are done here…. There a few hundred other countries you can move to… and you can see if you have any more rights and freedom over there.

Last edited:
Wow

THAT'S IT!

Nothing in the "Patriot Act" takes away those rights. Stop protecting the guilty and protect the innocent and this world will be a better place.

I used to be a liberal and leaned towards the Democrats until everyone started going over the edge with this "MY Rights" crap. If you don’t like the way things are done here…. There a few hundred other countries you can move to… and you can see if you have any more rights and freedom over there.

So the rest of the Bill of Rights is nonsense?

Not to me.

Another provision of the Patriot Act gives LE the right to "Sneak and peak" searches...if they have a warrant and you are not there, they can enter surreptitiously, look around, and they NEVER have to tell you they were there.

This is NOT what our founders had in mind, and it does not matter what political stripe you are, the thought of giving up our civil liberties is not something to be cheered.

JB

JB

I don't want to get involved in this quagmire, but I did want to say how much I've always admired how principled you are (even on on-topic subjects!), even though I often disagree with you on the merits.

((blush))

In my recent posting frenzy (I have, in the last 2 months, just about hit HvB's daily average) I must have become too noticable. Maybe I best return to my former level.

But, thanks.

JB

I used to be a liberal and leaned towards the Democrats until everyone started going over the edge with this "MY Rights" crap.
When was that? When the Bill of Rights was written? I knew you were an old man, Ozzy, but not that old!

THAT'S IT!

But when you go see a hooker you're breaking the law. Are you saying that you are not entitled to any rights then?

If I break the law, I'm a big enough man to suffer the consequences. I'm talking about someone who's "broken" the law.... Not someone who is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

And this "founding fathers" nonsense is something we should stop throwing around as an example... because it's a poor one. They wrote that stuff over 200 years ago, and it's somewhat outdated now. I think the world and crimes in general have progressed quite a bit since the late 18th century....no? I would think that if they had to deal with car jackings, kidnappings, mass murderers, terrorists and LAWYERS who find any loophole in 200 year old laws as we do today... they'd have had second thoughts about what they wrote.

btw.... 200 years ago.... Our founding fathers hung horse theives. Today, you don't even spend a day in jail for stealing a car. So perhaps "MY" thinking is a lot closer to what our founding fathers was.

Last edited:
btw....

When you're convicted of a crime and sent to jail.... do they not take away a vast amount of your civil rights? Don't you even lose you most basic right to vote?

Why not demand that ALL those rights NOT be taken away from felons? All I'm doing is eliminating a few that you guys choose not to.

FH's

Nonetheless

The Constitution...including the amendments, is the code of our nation. Its what sets us apart from others.

I am NOT ready to throw it away, and frankly am shocked that you are, Ozzy. There is NOTHING in the Patriot Act that limits it to Terorists, it can be applied to con artists and bookies just as easily.

In fact, there is NO evidence that our civil liberties aided the 9/11 terrorists at all. Yet we surrender them willingly with an act that had NO public debate.

I am not ready to go that quietly.

Q: Is it more American to support the Constitution or to tear it up???

JB

Re: Nonetheless

Originally posted by John Blackthorne

Q: Is it more American to support the Constitution or to tear it up???

JB
What about the people who use it against the this country and it's legal system.

I never said to tear it up... but it needs quite a bit of refining. It need to be clarified a lot better so no one can easily manipulate it the way they see fit.

It needs to be updated for the 21 century.

Last edited:
"They that give up liberty for safety deserve neither liberty, nor safety."

That was the feeling of Mr Franklin. It is my feeling as well.

Making our country less then what it was, in order to deal with those that would terrorize us, is giving them EXACTLY what they want.

Thorn...

You're all ASSUMING that this country will abuse the patriot act against innocent victims. If it's used only for what it's meant for.. than it is something that's needed.

This is why Israel’s Mosad is light years ahead of us when it comes to fighting terrorist and obtaining information. Remember... They blew up Saddams nuke plants over 20 years ago... (that’s at least 20 years before WE relised it needed to be done.

Any power

That you give the government,
they will eventually use.

After all, we see RICO statutes applied to prostitution cases already. That is sufficiently absurd to cause me to imagine things even more absurd.

BTW...do you know there are provisions in the Patriot Act by which one CAN be jailed for statements he makes???

Ok, the Gov's will resist the draconian uses...or will they? Ashcroft was already stepped on by the Surveillance Court, they said he had to redraft his extreme interpretations of the Act. he said OK...but the White house is appealing that decision.

JB