2019 Yankees

billyS

Reign of Terror
Davis Ortiz FAILED a test in 2003 and he is getting in without any doubt!
Great point about the failed drug test.
What I find interesting is that in two years both ARod and Big Pappi will be eligible.
So how are the writers going to justify voting for Ortiz who not only failed the same drug test as Arod but has the obvious carreer path of a user?
This will make for great debates

billyS

Reign of Terror
I think the bar was lowered by voting in Baines. Don't get wrong I always liked him as a player but he is not an all time great.
I actually think a better case can be made for Dick Allen. His slash line was better than Baines's and other stats per year ( Baines played 7 more years than Allen) are better. Allen averaged 33 homers and 104 rbi over 162 games slash line of .292/.378/.534. Baines averaged 22 homers and 93 rbi with a slash line of .288/.346/.465. Baines had 5 All Star selections in 22 years.
Plus Allen won a ROY and MVP and was a 7 time All Star in 15 seasons. In his prime, especially his White Sox years he was considered one of if not the most dangerous hitter in baseball.
Baines won none of those awards and was never thought of in the elite category at any time in his career.
So who is really the HOF?
It's really just a popularity contest sometimes

Hahaha no my name is not Harold. To be completely clear, I do not think baines is deserving of the hall of fame. However, I think he is equally as deserving as others who previously got in. So in a perfect world, no. In this world? Yes, he belongs.

For those knocking pettitte: does it make a difference to you that pettitte took hgh simply to recover from injury quicker? He didn't take it to perform better like a hitter would. His stats didn't balloon after the fact. His purpose was purely injury related. That being said, I think the Bernie Williams argument is perfectly applied. Very good players, but not Hof worthy.
Buttttt the same can be said for baines, so shouldn't pettitte and Bernie (in theory) have a good shot if baines is in?
2 wrongs dont make a right. So because These writers made a bad move putting Baines in, should affect their votes on other players.

Mr. Wiggley

But what do I know I'm a bad guy
Not a matter of making it right, but making it fair.
Some might argue Fred McGriff was a better player and had he stuck around to hit 7 more homers he would be in instead of passed over.
It’s all very subjective with the veterans committee I remember the arguments against Phil Rizzuto until the vets voters got basically stacked in his favor.

2 wrongs dont make a right. So because These writers made a bad move putting Baines in, should affect their votes on other players.
The writers didn't put him in. It was the cronie committee led by Tony Larussa and the white sox owner. They put in who they think the writers dropped the ball on. I think they put Lee Smith in too. I may be wrong on that though.

Its all bunch of bullshit anyway.
Most people don't give a fuck who's in or not.

The writers didn't put him in. It was the cronie committee led by Tony Larussa and the white sox owner. They put in who they think the writers dropped the ball on. I think they put Lee Smith in too. I may be wrong on that though.

Its all bunch of bullshit anyway.
Most people don't give a fuck who's in or not.
I hear you and agree. It does make for good discussions though.

Yanks still in on Machado, is he coming?? Interesting to see how this plays out. Its almost February and top 2 free agents aren't signed, really top 4. Machado, Harper, Kimbrel, Keuchel

what about Keuchel? should yanks go for him?
He hasn't been great lately. Not worth what he's looking for.
He wants a long term deal for big money.
He probably stays in Houston.

I don't think they even brought him in to feel him out.

The rotation is probably set.
They also have the three kids. Monty, German and Johnny lasagna to fill the back end when guys breakdown or fail.