Tesla Motors Talk

.....But give me performance cars all day. Race gas, a stupid high gear ratio, sticky tires and no shits given about fuel economy lol......Current race car is a Honda S2000 with a stroker motor in it. Before that I had a big block monte carlo ss that was strictly a 1/4 mile car. Now looking to start a new build on a Nissan GTR
You do know that the T roadster was introduced by Elon Musk as doing 0 -60 in 2.1 secs? Owners also have, as you say, "no shits" about gas mileage as it has an equivalent mileage of 135 mpg,

https://electrek.co/2019/06/27/tesla-roadster-0-60-mph-acceleration-downgraded-rocket-thrusters/

pokler

Power Bottom
I bought a structured note this week based on TSLA. It pays 17% with 60% protection. Three yr maturity. It pays 17% per annum as long has TSLA does not drop 60% from Friday close. If at maturity it's down say 59% I get all my money back. It it's down more than 60% I participate in loss as if I'd bought the common .

I bought a structured note this week based on TSLA. It pays 17% with 60% protection. Three yr maturity. It pays 17% per annum as long has TSLA does not drop 60% from Friday close. If at maturity it's down say 59% I get all my money back. It it's down more than 60% I participate in loss as if I'd bought the common .
Interesting find.. who was the underwriter?

Morgan Stanley. I am exposed to MS credit risk but I don't think they are going bust over next 3 yrs .
TY
Years ago I bought a note underwritten by JPM .. Very pleased... Shortly thereafter I bought another one issued by Lehman.. Yea, that one is worth about .02 in my account now..

TSLA performance had been unprecedented.. I am still at a loss to understand the valuations - They make a fine product BUT.....

At $285 a share it's hardly worthless. But it's always been a momentum trade anyway, and it's definitely lost its momentum.
This didn’t age well.

Can't really compare that way IMO. Your leaving out Self Driving Tech, Solar Panels, Battery Storage, Utility scale power solutions (Southern Cali, Australia, Islands of Hawaii), Semi Truck etc. Current Market Cap is based on where investors are expecting the company to go not where it is currently at. Toyota has invested heavily into Hydrogen Cars and it really hasn't panned out so far.
Who would imagine space x in 2018.

A big part of an automotive design is tooling cost. For a new design this can be on the order of 200-300M (for one new model with no common parts from other older models). This is not a problem for auto manufacturers who may make 1M cars of a certain model whose style changes are minimal over a 5 year typical model style; it is a serious obstacle to market entry for a new manufacturer. Also, an established manufacturer, of which Tesla is not, can partner with his vendors such that the vendor will eat his own tooling costs based on a multiyear contract ( obviously the tooling costs will be amortized as a higher price to the part).

Assuming (and a very big assumption in this case) that the variable costs (labor, raw material, facility operating costs ) are significantly below the vehicle sales cost there is a number of vehicles where the profit rapidly increases.

Tesla is making a very big bet and both the investors and purchasers (hoping that the company will be around for product support).

This is not the type of investment that someone at or near retirement should be putting into his retirement nest egg.
Tesla model 3 is definitely a bucket list car.

Personally I'd never get a tesla. Electric cars are boring to me. I'm also someone that loves driving and I do multiple track days each year in my time attack car.

The only hybrid cars I would get are ones that use to electric motors to help spool the turbos and reduce lag, like the Acura NSX, McLaren P1. Obviously the Acura is much more affordable at a price tag just south of 200k, compared to the McLaren at around $1 million.

But give me performance cars all day. Race gas, a stupid high gear ratio, sticky tires and no shits given about fuel economy lol

Current race car is a Honda S2000 with a stroker motor in it. Before that I had a big block monte carlo ss that was strictly a 1/4 mile car. Now looking to start a new build on a Nissan GTR
If you still have that Honda I would give you 5 and the brake for 1000

Why would I do that? Lol
Also this is a track car that gets trailered to and from every event. I won't run it on the street for any amount of money.
Trailer queens need not apply. I’ll race you at Atco if you take the bars off.

Why would I do that? Lol
Also this is a track car that gets trailered to and from every event. I won't run it on the street for any amount of money.
That short wheel base must get squirrelly on the top end at 150mph. If you have a street car that can hang let me know.

The Honda has a twin turbo LS3 and runs 8's in the 1/4. You wouldn't have to give me shit lol
You could loose the bars if you ran a single 76 instead of twin setup.

Trailer queens need not apply. I’ll race you at Atco if you take the bars off.

That short wheel base must get squirrelly on the top end at 150mph. If you have a street car that can hang let me know.

You could loose the bars if you ran a single 76 instead of twin setup.
It isn't terrible at the top end, it's goes a hell of a lot straighter than my g body did. G body shuffle is no joke!
My biggest problem last year was shifting this thing. When I had the Honda 2.2 liter all motor I could drive the shit out of it. But with the v8 and the twin 6266 turbos it's a hard car to have to clutch and shift quickly. I'm looking in to doing a sequential trans currently

The major auto manufacturers recently indicated that they will be going to an all electric platforms in the next 10-15 years and doing away with gas engines.

I think this is a greater than Herculean task that will be almost impossible to accomplish— too many what if’s and unanswered questions
Thoughts?

I have Tesla. Drove to Florida last month. Car tells where super chargers are on the way. Each charge took approximately an hour. $22 each charge. All the superchargers are located near dining facilities. Basically stopped every four hours to eat and charge. usually charge mine once a week at a supercharger.

I understand gas is the standard but can’t stop change. It really is an amazing car. I fought it but said wtf.

I have Tesla. Drove to Florida last month. Car tells where super chargers are on the way. Each charge took approximately an hour. $22 each charge. All the superchargers are located near dining facilities. Basically stopped every four hours to eat and charge. usually charge mine once a week at a supercharger.

I understand gas is the standard but can’t stop change. It really is an amazing car. I fought it but said wtf.
How many miles per charge?
Correct me if wrong,...
Assuming you are driving 70 mph, every 4 hour change would equate to appx 300 miles...
so a 1200 mile drive to Florida cost appx 88.00 in electric, certainly more efficient then gas...

pokler

Power Bottom
How many miles per charge?
Correct me if wrong,...
Assuming you are driving 70 mph, every 4 hour change would equate to appx 300 miles...
so a 1200 mile drive to Florida cost appx 88.00 in electric, certainly more efficient then gas...
But with gas you simply find a station no more than 10 min away and spend 5 min pumping gas. With a Tesla you may spend hours looking for charge station and 5 -10 hours charging. I'm more than happy to pay more for gas and avoid that terrible inconvenience.

I did leave with a full charge and stopped another four times. Like I said it was perfect for when I wanted to eat. If you’re driving the car at home you charge it at home. Never have to go to a charging station if you don’t want to. So finding a charging station is irrelevant. Pretty much leave the house every day with a 320 mile range. I don’t know about you guys but it’s very rare I drove that in a day..Pokler you don’t spend any time looking for somewhere to charge. The car is smarter than you it tells you you’re running low and it tells you exactly where to go. Plus you’re talking like you’re my wife will you drive around with the gas lights on most of the time.