Tesla Motors Talk

I never have to look for a charging station because my house is one. Long trips maybe but the car pretty much tells you where to go and want to go there. But I get it the nostalgia of a muscle car will be gone. But I have to tell you there’s not one car on the road that could beat my Tesla. 0 to 60 in 2.7seconds . The new model is under two seconds. It’s a fun car to drive.

Some questions. How good is the battery technology? Does the battery degrade over the years, where you start out at 320 miles per charge to 3 years later when you might be getting half that? I think I read the battery will last for 10 yrs so in year 9 what might your MPC be? And what would a new battery cost?

Some questions. How good is the battery technology? Does the battery degrade over the years, where you start out at 320 miles per charge to 3 years later when you might be getting half that? I think I read the battery will last for 10 yrs so in year 9 what might your MPC be? And what would a new battery cost?
While I cannot speak for Tesla’s, I have firsthand knowledge of Ford and GM plug ins- ( both hybrid/ gas powered too).. The batteries do lose up to 20% of their capacity after 3 years... in addition, severe weather extremes will affect performance..I’ve seen a 30% drop in range with temperatures sub 20degrees as well as north of 90..
Batteries do run in the 6-8 k range to replace, but most are fully warrantied for 8 years and 125,000 miles.

I assume the batteries do lose power over time just the same as a car breaks down overtime. Repairs are inevitable. Electic is the future. All I’m saying is it’s like trying to yell at your kids for being on their phone too long. It’s just the way it is. accept it.

Couple things to consider:

I once saw a proposal where EV's would be designed such that the battery packs will be swapped out at a "battery station" — similar to where you swap out a propane tank for your BBQ. Process world take less than it takes to fill up with gas if designed right.
Idea sounds interesting except for one thing: I don't think the idea will fly as I don't know about you guys but if I'm driving my brand spanking new EV with brand new batteries, not sure how thrilled I would be to swap them out for who knows how old replacements.

Also, if the batteries now cost, say $8K to replace, and have a life of 125K miles (two big assumptions), then you need to figure in an additional 6.4 cents per mile cost for each fill up. For 320 miles that comes out to $20.48 per charge. So in effect a "fill up" would effectively cost $22 + $20.48.

Also, it seems to me that the 320 mile range assumes some minimal cabin heater use (would need to be electric and energy used would come right out of the batteries, whereas with gas engine just uses waste heat from the combustion process) or some minimal air conditioner use (again would be electric and not powered by engine and energy for it would come from the batteries.)

Finally, I've also seen proposals where a charging line would be placed in the roadway, say in the interstate highways, such that even if it didn't keep that batteries completely charged , at the minimum would greatly increase range.

Tesla isn't a car company, it's a government subsidy company.
Wow that came right from https://www.bankers-anonymous.com/blog/haters-guide-to-tesla/
Of course the government invested money into that company. The same way every stockbroker did. It’s the future. And a pretty profitable one. From what I was told when doing research on the car there is only seven moving parts that could fail on the car. Yes batteries and motors do go Bad over time but I guess the combustion engine car never fails? . I guess most arguments about the electric car come down to our government dictating whether you can only have that instead of gas which yes is a very hard thing to swallow. I don’t see it happening just for the reason of being told what to do. But as far as the car, best car I’ve ever owned and driven.

I see Tesla scores 5 out of 5 for customer satisfaction but only 1 out of 5 for reliability. So yes, it's fun to drive but it has more problems than most. With less moving parts you would think that wouldn't be, so the problems must be with the electronics or even corrupt software. If I wanted this car I'd lease it for 3 yrs or buy and trade every 3. I don't like the idea of owning it for longer and only getting 50 mpc in the later years. They also better have some kind of recycling program for these batteries with incentives to have them recycled or else assholes will be dumping them illegally.

pokler

Power Bottom
I have Tesla. Drove to Florida last month. Car tells where super chargers are on the way. Each charge took approximately an hour. $22 each charge. All the superchargers are located near dining facilities. Basically stopped every four hours to eat and charge. usually charge mine once a week at a supercharger.

I understand gas is the standard but can’t stop change. It really is an amazing car. I fought it but said wtf.
Waited an hour ! What if there was a line ?
You can be there for many hours ..

Waited an hour ! What if there was a line ?
You can be there for many hours ..
there will always be an argument about this but The next time you drive pass the tesla charging station take a look, usually empty. Reason being most people charge them at home there is hardly ever a need to go to a charging station LOL. Oh one last thing before I drop this and just get back to chasing pussy. I’ve owned mine for two years and the only thing that’s changed about my battery capacity is that somehow through an update without me going to a service facility they manage to give me 20 more miles per charge. How they did it who the fuck knows but as Jesse said in breaking bad. “SCIENCE BITCH!”

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Take away the government credits and Tesla’s along with the new up and coming electric vehicles ( Ford’s Mach E Mustang, for example) will be unaffordable to most of the population—
Yes, prices will come down as batteries and production costs become streamlined, but at what cost
The irony is that they end up being bad for the environment because their ultimate use is to allow polluters to keep polluting.

But with gas you simply find a station no more than 10 min away and spend 5 min pumping gas. With a Tesla you may spend hours looking for charge station and 5 -10 hours charging. I'm more than happy to pay more for gas and avoid that terrible inconvenience.
You can see all SC on your route you never need to look. You can charge overnight at hotels for free. Average charge on interstate SC 150kw takes 25-35 min. Always good food nearby.

The irony is that they end up being bad for the environment because their ultimate use is to allow polluters to keep polluting.
I don’t understand. There are no emissions no fluids to change how is is that bad for the environment? Best part you don’t have to park to get a good blowjob. With autopilot just hit the expressway and enjoy