Quintessential New York Restaurant

RuffToy said:
Joey Ramone was a Queens boy. He grew up in Forest Hills, so did I. I used to see this tall, lanky, long-haired, stooped over, stoned out guy walking around the neighborhood. I barely paid an attention to him back then except he stood out in a crowd and you couldn't ignore him. When he talked, his speech was lazy and low. Who would have know back then that he would parlay that into fame.
It was so busy the night he came in and I had to sit him in at one of the worst tables for two. There was barely any room fro his lanky legs but he was so nice and cool about it.

I think the Grand Central Oyster Bar should be added to the list. That place has been around since 1913 and lives in the busiest terminal in NYC. That's certainly quintessential.

New York is considered one of the two, possibly three, gastronomical capitals in the world, and you guys are suggesting delis, hot dog stands, and burger joints?

But if you want to go with kitchy, then "Horn and Hardat" Automats. Of course, of a different era.

I have to agree with Slinky about WoW. There will never be another like it. Even if one tries, it will just be a copy. ("Remember the first WoW in the old WTC? Now there was a restaustant")

21? The prohibition wine vault can't be matched.

I think we're losing sight of the fact that quintessential also should mean "good" (unless you're somewhere, unlike here, whose essence is that things are bad).

And it shouldn't be a tourist trap.

Last edited:
justlooking said:
I think we're losing sight of the fact that quintessential also should mean "good" (unless you're somewhere, unlike here, whose essence is that things are bad).

And it shouldn't be a tourist trap.
Guess that knocks Silvia's off the list.

fairemily said:
It was so busy the night he came in and I had to sit him in at one of the worst tables for two. There was barely any room fro his lanky legs but he was so nice and cool about it.

I think the Grand Central Oyster Bar should be added to the list. That place has been around since 1913 and lives in the busiest terminal in NYC. That's certainly quintessential.
Keen's has been around since 1888.

JR lived in an apartment in Astor Place and was a common sight in the neighborhood when I lived there. He is missed.

Think what you want about the food and service at Tavern on the Green, but it's still probably the top choice when people are showing off our city.

Sylvia's is the most over rated piece of shit I've ever been to. Filthy and fucking horribly prepared food. I think no critic has the balls to trash the place.

And I know my soul food.

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels that way. All I heard for years was how great Sylvia's home cookin was. Politicans and celebs flocked there and raved about this African American success story in the heart of Harlem and how her place was as good as the best in the city. I finally went there after a Yankee game in the early 90's and the southern fried chicken was so dry and over cooked that the crust turned to dust when you pinched it. The greens were so bitter I thought they came out of a can and everything else was so filthy and horrible I thought I was in the wrong place. I went back around 2001 or so cause I was on a job site up there and figured I'd give it another try for a quick lunch..... I think I called Bender just to be sure I had the right place and it was worse than the previous time I was there.

Last edited:
mr. f said:
My choices for a quintessential NY experience are:

1. Roberto's in the Bronx.
2. Sylvia's
You're list is just so funny because Roberto's is just so underrated--fantastic, refreshing, exciting food--an island in the sea of the usual red sauce outer-borough Southern Italians--and Silvia's is just so overhyped (I won't even say overrated because no one really says anything good about it) and horrible.

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
I'll go one step further. I came to the conclusion awhile back that southern barbecue and soul food just aren't New York's strong points.

Probably not but I've been to a few that were excellent. One was in Harlem on the far west side can't recall the name or the street (in the 100's?)... definitely north side of the street in the mid of the block. I think it's on a street with a steep hill if that helps. Bender should know the name.

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
You're list is just so funny because Roberto's is just so underrated--fantastic, refreshing, exciting food--an island in the sea of the usual red sauce outer-borough Southern Italians--and Silvia's is just so overhyped (I won't even say overrated because no one really says anything good about it) and horrible.

Don't tell Kimmie but Roberto's is a popular Yankee after game hangout. Not unusual to see a few Bronx bums in there after an early game. Sort of the Bronx version of Parkside in Corona cept the Mets have one thing over the Yanks in that Parkside is slightly better than Roberto's and the Lemon Ice King is across the street. The south American chica's in Corona and the Hts get the nod as well.

Ozzy said:
Probably not but I've been to a few that were excellent. One was in Harlem on the far west side can't recall the name or the street (in the 100's?)... definitely north side of the street in the mid of the block. I think it's on a street with a steep hill if that helps. Bender should know the name.
Sounds like Copeland's on 145th.

Ozzy said:
Don't tell Kimmie but Roberto's is a popular Yankee after game hangout. Not unusual to see a few Bronx bums in there after an early game. Sort of the Bronx version of Parkside in Corona cept the Mets have one thing over the Yanks in that Parkside is slightly better than Roberto's and the Lemon Ice King is across the street.

I don't know how you compare the two. Different cuisines. Roberto's consistently gets a 27 or over in Zagat's, which is outstanding, and Park Side scores in the low 20s.

Apart from having some nostalgic value for middle aged guys, I never got the fascination with the Lemon Ice King. It's nothing to write home about.

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
I don't know how you compare the two. Different cuisines. Roberto's consistently gets a 27 or over in Zagat's, which is outstanding, and Park Side scores in the low 20s.
Not that Zagat's is dispositive, but I obviously think the food at Roberto's is a little more varied and interesting than places like the Park Side.

Forest Hiils in Da house...

RuffToy said:
Joey Ramone was a Queens boy. He grew up in Forest Hills, so did I. I used to see this tall, lanky, long-haired, stooped over, stoned out guy walking around the neighborhood. I barely paid an attention to him back then except he stood out in a crowd and you couldn't ignore him. When he talked, his speech was lazy and low. Who would have know back then that he would parlay that into fame.
FHHS class of ______...saw Joey in the hood alot he hung out on 99th street and 63rd...

Last edited: