Best Steakhouse in Nassau or Suffolk counties

Pace's, no creamed spinach at this Hauppauge premium priced steakhouse, 631-979-7676

SESSION & PRICE: Lunch $$$

Was at Pace’s in Hauppauge with a few of my buddies for lunch last week. The short of it is it’s a mediocre steakhouse masquerading as a high end one. The long of it follows.

Walking in the room, you are presented with a classical club-like atmosphere: dark wood paneling, old framed pictures on the walls, white linen tablecloths. Waiters were in white shirts, black vests and ties so I expected this to be an upscale visit.

What was on the lunch menu was brief with the two highlighted items being chicken parmesan and a salmon dish. The chalkboard daily specials were all seafood dishes, odd I thought for a steakhouse.

Since this was not going to be a QV, we ordered appetizers and asked for two orders of baked clams after first asking the waiter if they were chopped clams. But there seems to have been a miscommunication because they brought raw clams instead. I like my clams in the following order of preference: bearded clams, baked clams, and raw clams way down on the list. It's fair to say I was not pleased. My friends were okay with raw, though, so they gladly ate them. Still, the clams themselves were only about the size of a half dollar. Worse yet, the cocktail sauce was a do-it-yourself affair with separate dishes of ketchup and horseradish, a first for me. You would expect full-service at a premium steak joint. This reminded me of "you-do" at the Asian massage parlors.

A few of us ordered the lobster bisque, which was bland and heavily thickened. There were a few lumps of seafood floating on the top but I won’t vouch that they were actually lobster. When the main dishes came, I’ll have to say that the steaks were generously portioned and my marinated NY strip steak was tasty but a little tough. Another of us had the aptly named petite fillet mignon. It was ordered medium but once he got to the center, it was still twitching. The Porterhouse was massive and not bad at all. The salmon was rated very good. Unlike most traditional steakhouses where everything is à la carte, mashed potatoes, a bowl of rice, and a medley of vegetables served family style were included with the steaks. All agreed they were bland. But the one thing not offered up was
creamed spinach – a favorite of mine. To me, that's a steakhouse staple. And to continue the disappointment and lack of service when I asked for steak sauce, I was brought a small cup of cocktail sauce, mixed ketchup and horseradish. Pointing this out to our waiter, he replied that is their steak sauce (?), another first for me and the second "you-do" they offered us.

We split a couple of cheesecakes and had coffee to close out the meal. They brought cream and half & half, then asked if we wanted spoons (?). Umm, why wouldn’t we? The cheesecake was just all right but by no means memorable and it was a disappointing finish to the visit.

RATING: 6.5 out of 10 overall for Pace's

For very little less than a top tier steak house, we were expecting a lot more. Aside from the atmosphere, I think my preference would be Outback as far as quality and price.
I've never not had cream spinach at paces. Maybe they don't have it for lunch.

Johnny.Marr

Unabashed Shill
I've never not had cream spinach at paces. Maybe they don't have it for lunch.
Interesting. Didn't consider that. Should've asked. But in light of the other oddities we encountered, guess it just slipped our minds to ask about that. Plus, we were too busy mixing ingredients like a college chem major.

BTW, I had noticed you recommended the place, so that did factor into my decision to suggest it to my buddies. Hope you aren't offended that we didn't like it. Always willing to give a place a second try, so maybe I will take the family there for dinner. If so, will definitely ask for creamed spinach.

Not offended at all. I have only been there one time for lunch, and it was their burger which they overcooked on me, but I order my meat black and blue or bloody. I have nothing but rave reviews for their dinner menu. The "steak sauce" you mentioned, which is basically a rip off of Peter luger sauce that every steakhouse tries to do. They gave you each ingredient separately? That's insane! They have always put out their "sauce" on the table in its own dish. I'm sorry you had a bad time.

Surprised by the porterhouse at Harley's, Famingdale. Not sure if this place was mentioned. It was for two, companion was a picky eater, so 70/30 split. Pretty decent fare.

Sides were so-so.

V

Just had the Beef Wellington at Jimmy Hayes, and it was very good. The steamed asparagus that came with it I didn't care for as the stalks were almost an inch thick. The potatoes au gratin was excellent. I tried the cream spinach of a friend and didn't care for it and the bread was stale. Service was good.
Were the asparagus stalks shaved down at least? If not, someone took a short cut. This is peak asparagus season, nothing better than grilled asparagus!!

Pace's, no creamed spinach at this Hauppauge premium priced steakhouse, 631-979-7676

SESSION & PRICE: Lunch $$$

Was at Pace’s in Hauppauge with a few of my buddies for lunch last week. The short of it is it’s a mediocre steakhouse masquerading as a high end one. The long of it follows.

Walking in the room, you are presented with a classical club-like atmosphere: dark wood paneling, old framed pictures on the walls, white linen tablecloths. Waiters were in white shirts, black vests and ties so I expected this to be an upscale visit.

What was on the lunch menu was brief with the two highlighted items being chicken parmesan and a salmon dish. The chalkboard daily specials were all seafood dishes, odd I thought for a steakhouse.

Since this was not going to be a QV, we ordered appetizers and asked for two orders of baked clams after first asking the waiter if they were chopped clams. But there seems to have been a miscommunication because they brought raw clams instead. I like my clams in the following order of preference: bearded clams, baked clams, and raw clams way down on the list. It's fair to say I was not pleased. My friends were okay with raw, though, so they gladly ate them. Still, the clams themselves were only about the size of a half dollar. Worse yet, the cocktail sauce was a do-it-yourself affair with separate dishes of ketchup and horseradish, a first for me. You would expect full-service at a premium steak joint. This reminded me of "you-do" at the Asian massage parlors.

A few of us ordered the lobster bisque, which was bland and heavily thickened. There were a few lumps of seafood floating on the top but I won’t vouch that they were actually lobster. When the main dishes came, I’ll have to say that the steaks were generously portioned and my marinated NY strip steak was tasty but a little tough. Another of us had the aptly named petite fillet mignon. It was ordered medium but once he got to the center, it was still twitching. The Porterhouse was massive and not bad at all. The salmon was rated very good. Unlike most traditional steakhouses where everything is à la carte, mashed potatoes, a bowl of rice, and a medley of vegetables served family style were included with the steaks. All agreed they were bland. But the one thing not offered up was
creamed spinach – a favorite of mine. To me, that's a steakhouse staple. And to continue the disappointment and lack of service when I asked for steak sauce, I was brought a small cup of cocktail sauce, mixed ketchup and horseradish. Pointing this out to our waiter, he replied that is their steak sauce (?), another first for me and the second "you-do" they offered us.

We split a couple of cheesecakes and had coffee to close out the meal. They brought cream and half & half, then asked if we wanted spoons (?). Umm, why wouldn’t we? The cheesecake was just all right but by no means memorable and it was a disappointing finish to the visit.

RATING: 6.5 out of 10 overall for Pace's

For very little less than a top tier steak house, we were expecting a lot more. Aside from the atmosphere, I think my preference would be Outback as far as quality and price.
This place is about 1-2 miles from my office. I have been going here for ... around ... 23 years. I love it. The lunch menu is definitely different from dinner. I was actually there yesterday and had baked chopped clams that were very good. I love the atmosphere and I always have a really good time when I go. I always love the lobster tails. The petitie filets are always very good. I will say that the other steak quality has not been as good as they have been in the past ... BUT ... the bacon cheeseburgers for lunch are spectacular! The other steakhouses I frequent like Tellers, Lugers and Blackstones may have better steaks but it isn't a crazy difference. Yet since I know the staff here for so long - i still prefer this place.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Were the asparagus stalks shaved down at least? If not, someone took a short cut. This is peak asparagus season, nothing better than grilled asparagus!!
I had their asparagus and it was tender. The green beans are very good and so are the brussel sprouts.

Did you order ahead for the Wellington?

Just finished off a couple of Omaha steaks which were sent as part of a gift-

I was about to order some on my own but see the price for Filet’s equate to almost $60 a lb ( 7 6 oz individual wrapped for $150.00 ish)

Any thoughts on a similiar quality mail order place or a top quality butcher in Nassau or Western Suffolk

I was about to order some on my own but see the price for Filet’s equate to almost $60 a lb ( 7 6 oz individual wrapped for $150.00 ish)

Any thoughts on a similiar quality mail order place or a top quality butcher in Nassau or Western Suffolk
I had some gifts from Kansas City Steaks and I have to say for the price it was a total ripoff.

I find in the NY area we have great options for local meat.

In Nassau I like Town Meats in Garden City, Andy’s meats in New Hyde Park id great and the owner will discuss what you are trying to make and give you options on different cuts and how he prefers to grill, roast, or fry.

Farmingdale meats.... A real butcher. Their stuff is off the chain

https://farmingdalemeatmarket.com/c...ByurmADGtlTnVeB5E-1V0eHTC39uj8VkaAnXFEALw_wcB

Trader,

Try R & S Meat Market in Huntington Village or Northport Quality Meats in Northport (Use to be Sid's Meats)
Only old school butchers in that area I can remember. Be prepared to pay a premium in both places.

I found Southdown Market in Huntington Village did a pretty good job with their meats, butcher seemed to know what he doing.

There is also Main Street Meats in Farmingdale that have a retail store on Main Street in Farmingdale as well as a HUGE wholesale business. I know @genius has mentioned them in previous posts.

Hope this helps homie!

Trader,

Try R & S Meat Market in Huntington Village or Northport Quality Meats in Northport (Use to be Sid's Meats)
Only old school butchers in that area I can remember. Be prepared to pay a premium in both places.

I found Southdown Market in Huntington Village did a pretty good job with their meats, butcher seemed to know what he doing.

There is also Main Street Meats in Farmingdale that have a retail store on Main Street in Farmingdale as well as a HUGE wholesale business. I know @genius has mentioned them in previous posts.

Hope this helps homie!
Great recommendations neighbor lol

Trader,

Hope this helps homie!
They sell mostly wholesale but have a small retail shop in town for the local s (and those in the know) When I am driving into Flushing I always see the odd shaped Main Street Meats trucks heading into Manhattan and environs (I assume to restaurants). also when heading up thru Conn I see their trucks. There has to be a reason for this.

Also they are often serving meats to events in Hamptons.

I buy my sirloin burgers (maybe just 1 or 2 when I'm in town which is often) to throw on the grill. They sell 6oz and8 oz burgers.

When you throw their burgers on the grill what comes off the grill is almost the same size as when you put it on. Also their fillet mignon tips are like $8/lb and are perfect for the grill.(no— genius does not get a commission).

I also have a neighbor friend with a large family who buys a half steer each year.

Trust me on this — its worth a trip into the village to stock up (read and fellow the f**king parking lot signs! or park on the street).

While you're at it you can stop in at Jim's Stogies (220 Main St, Farmingdale, NY 11735) next to the meat market) for great cigars (they have a smoking lounge in the store) for a manly relaxing smoke