Walking away … End of Career/Profession

I really didn't know where you were going with this thread and now I suspect neither did you.

Are we talking specially about Sophia? Because if we are than given her presence here the past seven years she deserves a dedicated thread.

If you just started a general thread about how do we know when to retire and walk a away from a career then it doesn't go in this forum unless the you and the guys who initially responded are sex workers.
Thread was stared to gain some insight on one’s thoughts / feelings of walking away from their careers.

Point noted - Discussions segued a bit -
Forum should be in “Other “

I can’t agree / disagree with the last two statements…

Of course I’m not speaking for SB, but if someone does something that they truly enjoy , how do you just “lock that door and throw away that key”

My former profession/ former life and lifestyle- tremendous memories- cannot just turn certain things off
This is a bit different. Several Asians I knew when the were done that was IT. They moved to next chapter. Plan. Nest egg. Done

I’m retiring from a career that I love so that I can be loved on a different level. I’ve had the best time providing but there’s something to be said about having someone to go home to every night that loves you. I’ve had the opportunity to experience so many amazing things through this hobby, and I will be forever grateful for that. I’m just ready to settle down and make 1 man the happiest man in the world. For years I have listened to y’all about your lives and relationships and where things go wrong… it’s like a blueprint of how to be the perfect partner. Hopefully I’ll get it right ❤️
Congrats to you and to the man that cuffed you up, you're what I call a rare gem he's lucky to have a cool,sexy and amazing female like you!!! Don't forget my invite to the wedding haha;)

This is a bit different. Several Asians I knew when the were done that was IT. They moved to next chapter. Plan. Nest egg. Done
Yup, my ATF saved up enough to quit the life. She opened a foot massage place (and only foot, calf massage so it's legal) a high end place in Merrick that she runs. She has couple male and female employees, does this unusual stuff with hot sands for the feet. She moved out of Flushing and bought a place in Oceanside to live.

For those of you who knew her, at the time (years ago) she drove a bright yellow mustang.

Having the plan is critical..!!

Few of the gents here offered some constructive thoughts on how and when to walk …..

I find myself having an unexpected 3 days off, with no plans..SO breaking balls already.. do this.. do that .. etc.. I’m sure many of us have been there..

“Can’t you going back to work before Monday” I’m asked…

Besides mongering, no significant hobbies besides puttering around garden and enjoy outdoors… Would love to travel extensively, but not quite there yet…

Ughh.. looks like I’ll be back to work Monday

Few of the gents here offered some constructive thoughts on how and when to walk …..
No one knows your specific circumstances, needs, desires except you. So what do you expect?

I.

Besides mongering, no significant hobbies besides puttering around garden and enjoy outdoors…..
You have identified a major part of the problem, IMHO.

One thing I did in my late 60's was to cut back my work to a couple of days a week to ease out gradually.
my employer was very happy with this as although I could still contribute to my 401K (everything I mde went into it) I did't need the full time benefits and I got all the work that needed to be doe done.

In fact when I gave my final notice, my employer asked me if I could postpone my departure anpther year (I gave them 6 mo as a compromise)

One thing I did in my late 60's was to cut back my work to a couple of days a week to ease out gradually.
my employer was very happy with this as although I could still contribute to my 401K (everything I mde went into it) I did't need the full time benefits and I got all the work that needed to be doe done.

In fact when I gave my final notice, my employer asked me if I could postpone my departure anpther year (I gave them 6 mo as a compromise)
True, what you have said in former post-

Once a long lasting hobby or other means of keeping active and mentally stimulated will certainly add a lot of fuel to the desire..

One does not know what’s going to happen tomorrow or the next- Seen to much tragedy in life and it’s time, almost, to do things on my terms- without of course, being selfish to those around me

I find myself having an unexpected 3 days off, with no plans..SO breaking balls already.. do this.. do that .. etc.. I’m sure many of us have been there..

“Can’t you going back to work before Monday” I’m asked…

Besides mongering, no significant hobbies besides puttering around garden and enjoy outdoors… Would love to travel extensively, but not quite there yet…

Ughh.. looks like I’ll be back to work Monday
You should go see Sophia.

I am in the process to retire started selling off a few rental homes shortening my hours at shop I have purshased property in the south and currently building my last home with all requirements to place accessibilty if and when the time comes. With a pension plus IRAs and the sale of all properties which have no morgages but I want to get out and enjoy life while I am still able.
Are you sure you want to pet with that passive income. You won’t get good returns in stocks for a long time

Are you sure you want to pet with that passive income. You won’t get good returns in stocks for a long time
Not to soud rude or brash but I no longer in need of stocks to gain, I have more than enough to live very comftable and my children are very well taken care of also I wll also have a steady income from my two business's as they are being ran by family plus my pension and ss

I am taking a less conventional route. Just a few more years of corporate life and then I plan to retire under 60 and move to South East Asia to enjoy my remaining years. I have purchased land and plan to build a small house on it with a cafe to serve food and drinks and rent scooters to the tourists. I have enough to live well and the businesses are just to keep me busy not to make money. I will return to the US periodically to see family and continue vacationing several times a year. That's the plan at least. I know it's not the typical retirement plan but you only live once.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I am taking a less conventional route. Just a few more years of corporate life and then I plan to retire under 60 and move to South East Asia to enjoy my remaining years. I have purchased land and plan to build a small house on it with a cafe to serve food and drinks and rent scooters to the tourists. I have enough to live well and the businesses are just to keep me busy not to make money. I will return to the US periodically to see family and continue vacationing several times a year. That's the plan at least. I know it's not the typical retirement plan but you only live once.
Yeah I can't see wanting to live in a third world country.

What’s your interpretation of a good return?

Most financial planners suggest 5-6% annually , taking a conservative stance…

( That being said, prior to this years correction, we were looking at 40% gain for the last two years…Had I listened to myself, and went all cash, I would not have given up years of retirement income )

Not to soud rude or brash but I no longer in need of stocks to gain, I have more than enough to live very comftable and my children are very well taken care of also I wll also have a steady income from my two business's as they are being ran by family plus my pension and ss
Bravo!! It was part with not pet. I see you are keeping the most profitable as commercial RealEstate is gold