Traffic in Flushing

There was a outdoor two-level parking lot in between Union Avenue and Main Street that's now being torn down. That's only exacerbated the already free-for-all traffic situation on that block. Whenever I have to go to that part of Flushing, I park on Parsons Blvd. and walk an extra ten minutes because it's worth it so that I don't have to deal with that zone of idiocy.
Indeed the walk is good exercise for the events to come

The icing on the cake will be congestion pricing.
The icing may already be upon us. This new infrastructure package has a pilot program for testing a road usage fee after they promised there wouldn't be. You will pay a tax for every mile you drive. Oregon has their own test program and it's 1.8 cents per mile. It's supposed to replace the tax at the pump but you know that will never happen. There could be other adjustments for vehicle weight or type of road as well as different fees during rush hour and non-rush hour times. So right now it's a pilot program but they will get their way and it will become reality. It will be an horrific nightmare. Seriously thinking about becoming an expat.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfr...-vehicle-mileage-tax-program/?sh=5ef32e3531c6
https://www.forbes.com/sites/patric...time-on-per-mile-vehicle-tax/?sh=699f67447953

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
How will the proposed "Congestion Pricing" affect a drive from Queens to The Bronx? And how does that drive go from 23 minutes to 3 hours? And the people making those kinds of commutes likely don't pay for parking on either end. What you pay for is the bridge toll.

BTW there was a time this was an actual decision for me. Use Google maps to look at the trip from Douglaston Golf Course to Pelham/Split Rock.

How will the proposed "Congestion Pricing" affect a drive from Queens to The Bronx?
That's not what I thought I was saying. By icing on the cake I meant that not only will the "strategy of causing congestion on purpose " goal be achieved but then with the pretense to reduce the very congestion they are artificially creating the city can raise revenue through congestion pricing. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

And how does that drive go from 23 minutes to 3 hours? And the people making those kinds of commutes likely don't pay for parking on either end. What you pay for is the bridge toll.

BTW there was a time this was an actual decision for me. Use Google maps to look at the trip from Douglaston Golf Course to Pelham/Split Rock.
Using the strategy of causing congestion on purpose one would think that the city can jam up driving such that what is a 15 minute drive at 3 am can be a 3 hour crawl at rush hour.

BTW, in the early 70's I would leave my place of employment in Garden City to go to NYU in Fordham (when NYU actually had a lot of graduate STEM programs) during rush hour and get to park my car on the street by NYU in 25 minutes of so giving me time to have some dinner and study before classes at 7pm. Try that now.

Devils advocate here-
With prices of cars, both new and pre owned up significantly post covid ( 30 % used and 10-15 % new), there is thought that the 3 and 4 car house hold will now gravitate to the 2 or one car- The cost of owning an auto has gone up significantly year to year over the past 5 years-
Will this have an effect on congestion- ?
Anyone’s guess?

Devils advocate here-
With prices of cars, both new and pre owned post covid ( 30 % used and 10-15 % new), there is thought that the 3 and 4 car house hold will now gravitate to the 2 or one car- The cost of owning an auto has gone up significantly year to year over the past 5 years-
Anyone’s guess?
The post covid prices "up significantly" is primarily due to the chip shortage. This is not a conspiracy but poor planning on the part of car manufacturers. Trust me on this as I know of what I speak (well - in this case anyway).

These parts have long lead times and were not ordered when they should have been ordered.
For example there can be 40-50 microprocessors and perhaps close to 1000 less sophisticated chips in a typical vehicle.

Shortage of one critical part means you can't ship the vehicle. For example if you don't have the part 50¢ part controlling the speedometer you can't ship the vehicle.

This situation shall pass but it will take time. So to answer your question, probably not affecting congestion in and of itself in the long run.

The post covid prices "up significantly" is primarily due to the chip shortage. This is not a conspiracy but poor planning on the part of car manufacturers. Trust me on this as I know of what I speak (well - in this case anyway).

These parts have long lead times and were not ordered when they should have been ordered.
For example there can be 40-50 microprocessors and perhaps close to 1000 less sophisticated chips in a typical vehicle.

Shortage of one critical part means you can't ship the vehicle. For example if you don't have the part 50¢ part controlling the speedometer you can't ship the vehicle.

This situation shall pass but it will take time. So to answer your question, probably not affecting congestion in and of itself in the long run.
Yes, agreed- The chip shortages are creating havoc in the industry-

First hand knowledge as well- Pricing for new vehicles has steadily increased for a number of years ( pre covid), due to technology and safety features, for example, being included in base models

Many manufacturers are also trying to get away from “leasing”. The $30,000 car that leased for 300 per month 4-5 years ago is now leasing for 375-400.

Will higher car and cost of ownership pricing affect congestion- yes I think so, but impossible to measure
I think

Devils advocate here-
With prices of cars, both new and pre owned up significantly post covid ( 30 % used and 10-15 % new), there is thought that the 3 and 4 car house hold will now gravitate to the 2 or one car- The cost of owning an auto has gone up significantly year to year over the past 5 years-
Anyone’s guess?
Uber and Lyft are the congestion. Bike lanes just slow you down. They don’t stop in the middle of the street and make U turns. Thank Bradly Tusk.

The food is honestly one of my favorite things on Long Island… if I had a body guard, I’d go to the city to try that food as well. I love NY for the food… and while I have the hustle mentality, I enjoy going home to the slower more relaxed pace for sure!
Oh god that is predictable. “I wish I had a bodyguard” enter hard up monger. Lol

Slinky Bender

Yes, agreed- The chip shortages are creating havoc in the industry-

First hand knowledge as well- Pricing for new vehicles has steadily increased for a number of years ( pre covid), due to technology and safety features, for example, being included in base models

Many manufacturers are also trying to get away from “leasing”. The $30,000 car that leased for 300 per month 4-5 years ago is now leasing for 375-400.

Will higher car and cost of ownership pricing affect congestion- yes I think so, but impossible to measure
I think
If someone is currently ponying up $700/month for a garage space alone in Midtown Manhattan I'm not sure $100 a month increase in a lease is going to stop them.

Do I think "Congestion on purpose" will "work"? Yes, I think it will cause a decent amount of people to abandon altogether or significantly decrease coming into NYC. Not just shoppers but also small business owners.

I remember after 9/11 when all it took was closing the exit off the FDR to Chinatown which decimated small businesses there and created a huge boom in Flushing. Making it harder for people to take care into NYC will most likely be a boon to other places because people with cars are decidedly mobile. Rather than switch to really shitty public transportation which has gotten worse during the pandemic (more delays, more crime, more homeless) they will just find other places to drive to. Why do you think the City Council members North of 60th St were so in favor of "Congestion Pricing? They knew how good it would be for small businesses in their areas.

If someone is currently ponying up $700/month for a garage space alone in Midtown Manhattan I'm not sure $100 a month increase in a lease is going to stop them.

Do I think "Congestion on purpose" will "work"? Yes, I think it will cause a decent amount of people to abandon altogether or significantly decrease coming into NYC. Not just shoppers but also small business owners.

I remember after 9/11 when all it took was closing the exit off the FDR to Chinatown which decimated small businesses there and created a huge boom in Flushing. Making it harder for people to take care into NYC will most likely be a boon to other places because people with cars are decidedly mobile. Rather than switch to really shitty public transportation which has gotten worse during the pandemic (more delays, more crime, more homeless) they will just find other places to drive to. Why do you think the City Council members North of 60th St were so in favor of "Congestion Pricing? They knew how good it would be for small businesses in their areas.
I think a large part of this congestion scheme has to do with Jersey. Every since Bruno and Silver killed the commuters tax in the 90s to win some seats in suburbs. London was Bloomberg’s model. Shame

A census report out in the past day or two suggested population increased in the 5 boros by almost 8% over the past 10 years. Don’t have the official tally, but we are talking hundreds of thousands of folk- 500,000 for example-
Average family of 4- one car each- lots of cars- lots of congestion- lots of road rage

Slinky Bender

A census report out in the past day or two suggested population increased in the 5 boros by almost 8% over the past 10 years. Don’t have the official tally, but we are talking hundreds of thousands of folk- 500,000 for example-
Average family of 4- one car each- lots of cars- lots of congestion- lots of road rage
I get the feeling a lot of that increase was a higher percentage counted rather than more bodies.

I get the feeling a lot of that increase was a higher percentage counted rather than more bodies.
Maybe both are true — higher percentage counted AND more bodies.

I have seen in past couple of years parking lots replaced with apartment buildings in Flushing. I assume that the people who are moving there are not leaving the apartments they moved from vacant — so more people must exist exist.

Although not Flushing, I see a lot in the villages on building large multi-story apartment buildings especially in the less desirable locations (in my mind anyway such as right next to train tracks). For example in Farmingdale Village last couple of years there were three major complexes next to train station with hundreds of apartments. Also Along Round Swamp Rd in Plainview, Nassau country sold land (was soccer fields and old unused county office buildings) and 700 (I think) town houses built.

I have seen in past couple of years parking lots replaced with apartment buildings in Flushing. I assume that the people who are moving there are not leaving the apartments they moved from vacant — so more people must exist exist.

Although not Flushing, I see a lot in the villages on building large multi-story apartment buildings especially in the less desirable locations (in my mind anyway such as right next to train tracks). For example in Farmingdale Village last couple of years there were three major complexes next to train station with hundreds of apartments. Also Along Round Swamp Rd in Plainview, Nassau country sold land (was soccer fields and old unused county office buildings) and 700 (I think) town houses built.
Yes-
The traffic issue is not unique to Flushing, or the remaining other Boros.

I suppose some breathed a sigh of relief when Amazon’s bid to develop land and build a mega warehouse in Queens ( LIC?) was squashed- It’s now been approved and coming East to the property north of LIE in Syosset ( old Cerro factory)

Lets be realistic- No matter where you go, the traffic problems are going to get worse

Slinky Bender

At the same time NYC is seeing lots of 8 unit brownstones converted to single family (or similar) as well as small apartment buildings knocked down to produce zombie condos for parking/laundering money where very few actually live. As well as lots of units being warehoused (vacant) for future development or other purposes (like 1,000 units in Stuyvesant Town being held, not even trying to rent them, I guess holding out until "the market gets better."). For the last year NYC has had record vacancies not counting any units held vacant on purpose for various reasons.

Slinky Bender

Today I saw an article where someone pointed out the 2020 census was taken not only before the large number of COVID refugees left NYC but also at a time an inoordinate amount of people were at home to be counted due to lockdowns, in addition to various advertising campaigns pushing New Yorkers to "get counted" like we've never seen before.

Traffic for the past few days has been horrendous— Was in Bayside, Flushing and neighboring area today - school buses, double parked vehicles, avalanche of schoolchildren meandering around caused a 15 minute ride into one hour.. I consider myself short on patience and a somewhat aggressive driver.
Living and driving mostly in Nassau and Suffolk had me forget about school zone speeds, speed cameras, speed zones etc..
I fear having racked up quite a number of tickets today.. Shitty Day