Traffic in Flushing

These days I park at the big mall (target building) on college point. Safer and easier than trying to look for street parking. It’s bit of a walk but hate dealing with the traffic while looking for parking.

These days I park at the big mall (target building) on college point. Safer and easier than trying to look for street parking. It’s bit of a walk but hate dealing with the traffic while looking for parking.
FYI,
Target is in the building as is BJ's, Best buy, parking garage, et al, but the building is the Skyview building
See my post #19

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist
All of this thread is exactly why I avoid the city… I tell people all of the time that I’m not interested in going to the city because it literally terrifies me. People down south are so much nicer and calmer because we aren’t stacked on top of each other 30 stories high, with parking only available for 10people… NYC has created their own problems and it’s not a place that is enjoyable to visit unless “you’re about that life”… and most people totally aren’t! Probably the biggest disappointment of any place I’ve traveled!

All of this thread is exactly why I avoid the city… I tell people all of the time that I’m not interested in going to the city because it literally terrifies me. People down south are so much nicer and calmer because we aren’t stacked on top of each other 30 stories high, with parking only available for 10people… NYC has created their own problems and it’s not a place that is enjoyable to visit unless “you’re about that life”… and most people totally aren’t! Probably the biggest disappointment of any place I’ve traveled!
NYC is beautiful. Especially Manhattan. But to each their own. Nyc ppl are way more in hurry cause lot of them are hustlers in life.

You typically love where you are from. I could visit the south but I could never live there. I love the huge variety of Women and food nyc offers.

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist
NYC is beautiful. Especially Manhattan. But to each their own. Nyc ppl are way more in hurry cause lot of them are hustlers in life.

You typically love where you are from. I could visit the south but I could never live there. I love the huge variety of Women and food nyc offers.
The food is honestly one of my favorite things on Long Island… if I had a body guard, I’d go to the city to try that food as well. I love NY for the food… and while I have the hustle mentality, I enjoy going home to the slower more relaxed pace for sure!

The food is honestly one of my favorite things on Long Island… if I had a body guard, I’d go to the city to try that food as well. I love NY for the food… and while I have the hustle mentality, I enjoy going home to the slower more relaxed pace for sure!
All you need to do is ask- I am quite confident that many of us would volunteer to “guard your body” with perhaps a bit of … enthusiasm..?

Yes- Manhattan has plenty of great dining options, but plenty on LI too

Flushing-
Attempted to head over there the other day for some dumplings and “dessert”

Not being familiar with the area, I used Waze to navigate… There were more detours. traffic hazards, road closures due to construction etc then I wanted to deal with.. turned around and ordered some takeout— What a mess

Traffic is ridiculous in this city since warren wilhelm Jr became mayor. Every street that had two lanes is now one vehicle and one bike lane. This hipsters on their retro bicycles, I love watching them almost get hit and fall off. A real treat is when they go over someone's hood after they ride through a red light. Now all these fucking scooters, I feel like I'm in a 3rd world country.

Can we talk about parking too?

Growing up in Brooklyn, parking was a small challenge in the 70/80’s.. Small scramble to find a spot when coming home from a night out or having to move the car for alternate side of the street parking ( another fking money grab)

Nowadays, finding a spot in the Boros is like hitting the lottery.. Meters, no parking zones, no this, no that…

I pity the poor soul who owns a car and faces these daily challenges :)

billyS

Reign of Terror
Can we talk about parking too?

Growing up in Brooklyn, parking was a small challenge in the 70/80’s.. Small scramble to find a spot when coming home from a night out or having to move the car for alternate side of the street parking ( another fking money grab)

Nowadays, finding a spot in the Boros is like hitting the lottery.. Meters, no parking zones, no this, no that…

I pity the poor soul who owns a car and faces these daily challenges :)
Parts of Long Island are just as bad.
Sometimes it takes me longer to find a spot in Long Beach than it does in Briarwood.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Without getting political I'll just say those who are climate change activist who want you to change your lifestyle while maintaining their own.
Meanwhile the strategy of causing congestion on purpose to frustrate drivers without first building out more robust public transportation (and in fact seeing cutbacks, especially in bus routes) is a recipe for disaster. We have already seen NYC leapfrog LA for most congested city. Anyone who thinks this won't come along with LA level air pollution is delusional. So the concept of causing congestion on purpose to save the environment is sheer insanity. People who are in the majority of NYC neighborhoods where cars are a necessity won't just ditch them, and bicycles aren't a viable solution. How do you convince someone who commutes from Queens to The Bronx (or similar) they should take 2 hours by public transportation or 2.5 hours by bicycle (each way) rather than a 22 minute car ride?

PS with cars turning electric this argument becomes even less about pollution an more about the anti-car religion.

PPS most of the anti-car nuts have both Uber and Lyft accounts.

...... How do you convince someone who commutes from Queens to The Bronx (or similar) they should take 2 hours by public transportation or 2.5 hours by bicycle (each way) rather than a 22 minute car ride?....
IMHO you have missed what I feel is the obvious answer to your question: You can't; you convince them that 2 hours by public transportation or 2.5 hours by bicycle (each way) rather is better than a 3 hour car ride plus a small daily fortune to park said car. The icing on the cake will be congestion pricing.