Burner Phones

You better stock up on your burner phones NOW!
A bill has been introduced into the House that would impact your buying a pre-paid phone.
H. R. 4886 would "require purchasers of pre-paid mobile devices or SIM cards to provide identification, and for other purposes."
Termed "Closing the Pre-Paid Mobile Device Security Gap Act of 2016,” the proposed law would require you to provide id for your name, home address, and date of birth.
Complete details of the proposed bill are here:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/4886/text

You better stock up on your burner phones NOW!
A bill has been introduced into the House that would impact your buying a pre-paid phone.
H. R. 4886 would "require purchasers of pre-paid mobile devices or SIM cards to provide identification, and for other purposes."
Termed "Closing the Pre-Paid Mobile Device Security Gap Act of 2016,” the proposed law would require you to provide id for your name, home address, and date of birth.
Complete details of the proposed bill are here:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/4886/text
So, is this new law saying present day burner phones are grandfathered in? Is anything private any more? What will this do to providers? Will LE simply use this to trace anyone advertising companionship?

Technically is changing faster than I can to keep up. I'm not sure I like it!

Garvey

I'm surprised this bill is introduced by a Democrat. Note that the ID required has to be a Gov't (US or State) one which leaves out illegal (opps- I meant the liberal politically correct - "undocumented") aliens.

I'm surprised it took so long for this issue to come up.

Not a law yet. Present day phones will not be affected since the sale has already taken place. But if the law is passed as written, then going forward you will need to show ID to purchase a phone or sim card. Complete info is available in the link I listed in my post.

You brought up a good contrast, genius, regarding gun shows. If the burner phone bill becomes law, you will have to show ID to buy a phone. But if you buy a gun at a gun show, do you need to show ID?

You brought up a good contrast, genius, regarding gun shows. If the burner phone bill becomes law, you will have to show ID to buy a phone. But if you buy a gun at a gun show, do you need to show ID?
Yes you do - typically the only gov't document photo ID you show is for Benjamin Franklin.

You can get anything in the hood. Trust me. I buy plenty of shit I'm supposed to have ID for there..
May not as easy burner phones if the law passes for a couple of reasons:

Very different than guns that do not require ID at gun show as I can't buy a pistol in NY, with ID or not, but can at a gun show out of state - but I can get a burner phone with an ID so the demand for no ID phones may be low. I think (just my opinion) that most phones of the low quality of burner phones bought for cash are for legal reasons (people w/o credit and don't want or get a plan or cheating spouses, as a couple of examples)

There are only a couple of manufacturers of phones, the phones are serialized by manufacturer and tracked with shipping documents, the phones don't last as long (as guns for example that has a HUGE market for used - a 30 year old Saturday night special works the same as a new one) and the phones will have to be sold through legit channels (unless they "fall off a truck").

I bought my burner for $15. Even if marked up 5X on the street is it worth the trouble to sell them illegal as there are such a small market? If the ID requirement became law I would still buy a burner phone just to keep my mongering life "turned off and in the trunk of my car" most of the time.

Homeland are a bunch of bumbling idiots.
I agree. But doesn't mean they can't make your life miserable especially for someone like me who is 99% legit, travels a lot and for other reasons that I won't go into.

Yes you do - typically the only gov't document photo ID you show is for Benjamin Franklin.
So if the burner bill becomes law, you will be able to buy a gun without ID, but not a phone. Maybe the burner phone manufacturers need an organization like the NRA.

So if the burner bill becomes law, you will be able to buy a gun without ID, but not a phone. Maybe the burner phone manufacturers need an organization like the NRA.
The NRA relies on the Second Amendment. I don't see where there is an equivalent for burner phones.

I've been using a shitty slider phone from TracFone as my burner phone, but it's so old school. Texting is horrible. Wouldn't even bother to web browse with it. Just good for calls.
I would like to upgrade to a smartphone and I see that TracFone has some smartphones as low as $19.99.
Right now, their TracFone - LG Rebel L44VL 4G LTE with 8GB Memory Prepaid Cell Phone is $49.99 at Best Buy and Target.
This model seems to get better reviews than the cheaper ones.
Does anyone have experience with this or any of the other TracFone smart phones?
I want to stay with TracFone, because of their $19.99 for 60 minutes/90 day cards.

For your personal use not monger use.
Verizon Wireless rates going up $5 to $10 per month. Honestly cannot understand why anyone would still be with Verizon. Few years back, I went to Straight Talk (thru Walmart) & up to recently, paid $48/mo - that service utilizes Verizon network with excellent service. This year, went to Cricket Wireless, paid $10 for a phone that takes better pic's then my IPhone and costs $35/mo - this service is 4G on AT&T network. Both unlimited talk, text, Internet.

I've been using a shitty slider phone from TracFone as my burner phone, but it's so old school. Texting is horrible. Wouldn't even bother to web browse with it. Just good for calls.
I would like to upgrade to a smartphone and I see that TracFone has some smartphones as low as $19.99.
Right now, their TracFone - LG Rebel L44VL 4G LTE with 8GB Memory Prepaid Cell Phone is $49.99 at Best Buy and Target.
This model seems to get better reviews than the cheaper ones.
Does anyone have experience with this or any of the other TracFone smart phones?
I want to stay with TracFone, because of their $19.99 for 60 minutes/90 day cards.
I use my el cheapo burner just for calls and receiving texts. I hide in plain sight from my SO by tossing it on the pile of flip phones I had over the years. I don't think that cunning plan would work if my burner was a smartphone as I always had iPhones and got rid of them whenever I upgraded. On the plus side it lasts forever on a charge.

Why do you care if it is old school?

genius:
The old school phone is annoying for texts. You have to hit the key a certain number of times to get each letter.
Plus, it's useless for web searching. I did all my provider recon on my computer. But sometimes when you are out, you want to be able to check something on the fly.
And, yes, your hidden phone trick has been well documented here before, but it's not such a concern with me.

trigeek:
That's a nice option for personal use, since having Verizon is like having a second mortgage.
But it's more than I want to pay for a hobby phone. Twenty bucks for three months is a steal.

In March of 2016 a bill was proposed to require ID when purchasing a burner phone. Do anyone know the status of that bill?

"Mar 27, 2016 - House Representative Jackie Speier (D-San Francisco/San Mateo) has put forward a bill that will require retailers to ask for identification from anyone buying a prepaid cellphone. The bill, called Closing the Pre-Paid Mobile Device Security Gap Act of 2016"