Yankees hurting financially?

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
Has their carefree spending caught up to them?

From rotoworld:

The Yankees lost between $50 million and $85 million for the 2005 season, according to a Daily News report. In addition to their $200 million+ payroll, the Yankees poured almost $110 million into revenue sharing and luxury tax last season. Also, the Yankees might have to share additional revenue with poorer clubs if a consultant hired by MLB decides they undervalued their television rights. This is why the Yankees have yet to look like big players on the free-agent market.

Last edited:
Just maybe George has woken up to the fact that the guys who made a division win possible this past year were all cheapies.

Time to emphasize your scouting and farm league systems ..........

seeker6591 said:
Excellent news. Maybe George can raise those ticket and concession prices a little higher....say 20 or 30 percent!
You forgot to mention the parking.
The Yankers have ‘sold’ broadcasting, copyright and endorsement properties to sundry Steinbrenner controlled enterprises at below market value. Whoever audits the Yankers' books is negligent by not analyzing these less then arms-length relationships.

I find it hard to believe they lost money considering they had about 40 sell out games and most other games were at least 65-70 percent full.

seeker6591 said:
Excellent news. Maybe George can raise those ticket and concession prices a little higher....say 20 or 30 percent!

Their average ticket prices even ith the increase are still 15 bucks less the the red sox. And still about even with the Cubs. The concession prices are the same as they are in Giants stadium or MSG. Why doesnt everyone jump on the two dead owners of the Giants for their ticket prices. Which again are more then the Yankees or their concession prices? Or jump on the John Henrys of the world in Boston. Nahh its easier to jump on George.

seeker6591 said:
George will never wakeup..he loves to spend at the expense of the fans and sponsers...and just look at the results !
How is george spending at the expense of the fans and the sponsors? That makes no sense. George spends because he wants a winner. Would you rather have an oner like George who spends and spends and spends and you see the result on the field. or an owner like Kevin McClatchy (the Pirates owner) who recieved 13 MILLION through revenue sharing and spent 2 million of that money on a new scoreboard. Not on any players. Anyone that has seen a game in the past yr compared to 10 years ago can see they are trying to go for sponsors and stuff to cover the payroll. When i spend money on yankee tickets at least I know george is investing money in his own business. Not just taking money like other owners have been doing.

circle360 said:
Nahh its easier to jump on George.
Hey listen..more power to George. If the fans are willing to pay those prices...god bless them. Its the American way.

On the other hand, on a personal basis , I can find a million other better things to do for the same entertainment dollar! ( and yes i am a baseball fan)

Don't believe ANYTHING you read these days.... The Yankees were at the top of all major league clubs when it came to making money last year and most of the previous 10 or 15 years.

If the Yankees lost money so did every other team in American Pro sports... Do the math...

The Yankees drew over 3 million this year. Most teams didn't draw half those numbers. NO teams but the Yanks have a multi BILLION dollar TV deal (with FOX), then throw in the fact the Yanks are the most merchandised team in all of pro sports (in the hundreds of millions, and that was a number I saw tossed around a few years ago). This also doesn't include income brought in by the YES channel.

It's unlikely George lost a dime on the Yanks... more than likely he made a killing just of the broadcast rights..

btw... Beer and hotdogs cost more at Shea than Yankee stadium. And in a list I saw last season on ESPN.com... both the Mets and Yanks (both in the top 5 re: salaries) were somewhere in the middle of the pack in regards to total cost of going to a game (tickets, parking, food and souvenirs).

circle360 said:
Their average ticket prices even ith the increase are still 15 bucks less the the red sox. And still about even with the Cubs. The concession prices are the same as they are in Giants stadium or MSG. Why doesnt everyone jump on the two dead owners of the Giants for their ticket prices. Which again are more then the Yankees or their concession prices? Or jump on the John Henrys of the world in Boston. Nahh its easier to jump on George.

Giants have what??? 8 home games?
Yankees 81 home games

Red Sox have a max seat of 34988
Yankees have max seating of 57000

The Red Soxs only have 60 % of the seating capacity. Its the smallest park in the majors. Of course they are going to charge more.

Daddycool said:
Giants have what??? 8 home games?
Yankees 81 home games

Red Sox have a max seat of 34988
Yankees have max seating of 57000

The Red Soxs only have 60 % of the seating capacity. Its the smallest park in the majors. Of course they are going to charge more.

You are right. But how does that help the family going to either a giants game or a Red sox game. They still have to pay a ton for everything. Does it matter that the giants only play 8 games or the red sox have a seating capacity less then the yankees. NOPE.

Before the Expos went south I attended a Sox/ Expos game in Canada. There were nearly 40,000 fans and 3/4 of them came up from Boston. There is a lot of pent up demand for Sox tickets. If they are going to have free agency, then the teams must be able to charge what the market will pay .......

Don't cry for the NFL teams...

You can't compare the NFL to Baseball. NFL has revenue sharing and un matched TV network deals that are split between the 32 teams. Last I checked CBS was paying $622.5 million per season, FOX $712.5 and the Disney deal (ABC/ESPN) brings in about $500 million for the Sunday/Monday night games and wild card rounds. Marketing of the NFL trademark brings in about 1.5 billion more a year. Do the math and the average team takes in about $100 million a year. That's not counting tickets, parking and vending, nor various othe forms of income. The NFL salary cap is about $80 million and unlike baseball, that's a strict cap with no going over and paying luxury tax (ala Yankees). Even the worst teams in the NFL are making in the ballpark of what the best do.