Windows 7

So anyone else is using Windows 7? What you guys think? MS is also offering Windows 7 of anyone with a .edu email address (don't have to be yours) for $29.99. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post how.

Last edited:
I actually upgraded to Windows 7 a week ago. I was running XP. BIG improvement over XP. Only problem was that I needed to upgrade my video card. You need at least .5gb video ram to run Aero. So, i got a new one and then realized i needed a bigger power supply, so I replaced that too. All told, it cost me $350 to upgrade. I could have bought a new machine for that $$ (or 2 visits to my favorite AMP !)

Anyway, like i said, big improvement. Much faster and more reliable.

I actually upgraded to Windows 7 a week ago. I was running XP. BIG improvement over XP. Only problem was that I needed to upgrade my video card. You need at least .5gb video ram to run Aero. So, i got a new one and then realized i needed a bigger power supply, so I replaced that too. All told, it cost me $350 to upgrade. I could have bought a new machine for that $$ (or 2 visits to my favorite AMP !)

Anyway, like i said, big improvement. Much faster and more reliable.
Is Windows 7 compatable with some of the older software that Vista is not compatable with? When I upgraded to Vista from XP I had to replace my office suite becuase Office XP was not compatable. I needed to wait for HP to develope a driver for my printer. Aboslutely nothing worked. It did not cost me much because my company provided me with a copy of Office 2003. I thought it was a scheme by MS to drive software sales. Does 7 address this?

Like anything Microsoft, I would wait a few revisions until I took the plunge. It's one thing to write new software or a new OS, but everyone's machines, programs and configurations vary greatly so why be their beta tester. Let others stumble and fall and post reviews and real world circumstances before upgrading.

Sometimes the old adage is true "If it ain't broke....don't fix it"

I have NO problem running Office 2007 under Windows 7. In fact, everything is running great. My Printer - HP C7250 has no problems and is actually working better under now. Its a wireless printer and I always had connectivity issues under XP. Now. No problems.

I can understand wanting to wait and let others work out the issues. I happen to like working out the issues and as I had nothing to important on my PC to lose, I took the plunge

I have NO problem running Office 2007 under Windows 7. In fact, everything is running great. My Printer - HP C7250 has no problems and is actually working better under now. Its a wireless printer and I always had connectivity issues under XP. Now. No problems.

I can understand wanting to wait and let others work out the issues. I happen to like working out the issues and as I had nothing to important on my PC to lose, I took the plunge
If you are buying a new computer with the 64 bit version of win 7 preinstalled, then you might have problems with existing peripherals and software that interacts with windows on a low level, security software, iTunes, etc. Adobe still doesn't have a 64 bit version of Flash Player yet.

Windows 7 is Vista

Is Windows 7 compatable with some of the older software that Vista is not compatable with? When I upgraded to Vista from XP I had to replace my office suite becuase Office XP was not compatable. I needed to wait for HP to develope a driver for my printer. Aboslutely nothing worked. It did not cost me much because my company provided me with a copy of Office 2003. I thought it was a scheme by MS to drive software sales. Does 7 address this?
Windows 7 is actually Vista. You can tell this by checking the version number given by the software itself. Vista is 6.xx.xx and Windows 7 is 6.xx.xx. Its not a full release version upgrade but a incremental update.

That isn't a bad thing. Just stating the obvious. Anything that runs on the Vista kernal ought to run on Windows 7.

I've been running it on a couple of my systems since the early beta releases. No problems as far as any drivers or vid/sound card, etc, working on Vista not working on Windows 7.

Last edited: