Why people work after age 70

No..plan properly for your future. IRAs / 401s..etc .
Something else to think about: preparing if you ever need Long Term Care. That affects one out of two people over the age of 65 and can last upwards of three to four years. And depending where you live, such as in the northeast, that can be expensive! There's no provision in Medicare for Long Term Care funding, so that's all on the individual.

I wasn't speaking about your friend . I'm writing about the initial post about people working at Target that you made. I would rather a senior center playing cards, pickle ball etc than working at Target myself if i had to choose.

Now if i had a job that i love, for example if i possesed a brilliant legal mind and i'm still helping out at the firm. However working less than when i'm 70 but still working and enjoying it. Or I'm mentoring younger people in Finance or another field, a career i enjoy a Professor, perhaps a business owner. That's different imo.
And a guy I knew in his 80's was a PE and did (among other jobs) all the drawings, engineering, submission to building dept, supervised work on installation of an elevator for local church.
Another 80, retired lawyer, did volunteer legal work for low income people.
Both didn't need (or take) any money.

However, a know 2 who felt that, as you posted, "Greeting people at Target and other places seems a horrible idea" felt that such a horrible idea was superior to cutting back on medicines, food and paying rent (go figure about the priorities of some people).

As for me, I waited until my late 60's to retire as my work became less intellectually stimulating (I didn't need any more money) so although I no longer hunt (deer) I still fish, hike, run, exercise daily, read a lot (4 newspapers and books), take an occasional college course, monger and post on UG and (very) occasionally another site.
My experiences with doctors is once a year a physical and once a year a full body skin scan

With such a high ongoing cost of living I do believe many are “forced to work” to make ends meet, way past a retirement ago of 62 ish

Then there is the extremely high cost of health care which contributes to working decisions..

I know of too many people who continued to work well into their late 60’s ( they did not have to) and ended up getting sick, only to pass entirely to soon to enjoy retirement——

For me, health insurance /health has been the greatest influence on my decisions

With such a high ongoing cost of living I do believe many are “forced to work” to make ends meet, way past a retirement ago of 62 ish

Then there is the extremely high cost of health care which contributes to working decisions..

I know of too many people who continued to work well into their late 60’s ( they did not have to) and ended up getting sick, only to pass entirely to soon to enjoy retirement——

For me, health insurance /health has been the greatest influence on my decisions
Although you can sabotage both, even if you do everything "right": Life, and especially health is a crap shoot.

Some people never had kids, and have no family, if they don’t want to go crazy and die early in their house/apt they have to be active. I have clients that pay my prices that are high and when I get to their places they don’t need services or the problems are made by them just to have an excuse and have me there and talk to them. Strange, but they are many people out there like that.