Why I shop at Whole Foods

Or order organic foods from Fresh Direct if I'm being lazy that week.

Source http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/03/AR2007030301311.html

The government is on track to approve a new antibiotic to treat a pneumonia-like disease in cattle, despite warnings from health groups and a majority of the agency's own expert advisers that the decision will be dangerous for people.

The drug, called cefquinome, belongs to a class of highly potent antibiotics that are among medicine's last defenses against several serious human infections. No drug from that class has been approved in the United States for use in animals.

[snip]

The FDA knows how hard it can be to close that door. In the mid-1990s, overriding the objections of public health experts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the drug agency approved the marketing of two drugs, Baytril and SaraFlox, for use in poultry. Both are fluoroquinolones, a class of drugs important for their ability to fight the bioterror bacterium that causes anthrax and a food-borne bacterium called campylobacter, which causes a serious diarrheal disease in people.

Before long, doctors began finding fluoroquinolone-resistant strains of campylobacter in patients hospitalized with severe diarrhea. When studies showed a link to poultry, the FDA sought a ban.

[snip]

Maybe they should organize a singles night! (I knew someone who went to a singles event at her local supermarket in New Jersey once.)

I told you all to go but did you?

From http://www.nysun.com/article/58574?page_no=1

Mulling a rack of beefsteak tomatoes at Whole Foods Bowery, Vanessa Rodriguez, a slender 31-year-old woman with light brown hair hanging to her waist, removed her ear-buds as a young man sidled up to her to inquire if the produce was organic. When he followed up with a request for her phone number, she told him politely that the tomatoes were for dinner with her boyfriend.

It wasn't the first time she had fended off an approach while grocery shopping at the Whole Foods on Bowery and Houston Street, she said.

Over samples of aged Gouda and amid aisles of extra-virgin olive oil, New Yorkers shopping at Whole Foods Bowery are turning the grocery into a thriving pick-up scene. The gelato bar, the upstairs café, the chilled, private cheese room, and long checkout lines are where flirting is most rampant in the 71,000-square-foot store that opened last March, Whole Foods employees said.

[snip]

MOD'S NOTE: Hit "edit" by accident. I didn't change anything. Promise.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I don’t deny that there are a lot of attractive young women at Whole Foods, and I do shop there from time to time, I have had the unfortunate experience of dealing with the Company in a professional capacity for the past two years. Their business ethics belie their public image to a startling degree.

Consider:

a. Whole Foods is developing a new location in Brooklyn, for which they are seeking tax benefits under NYS Brownfields regulations. When the cost of remediating the site to cleanup criteria that Whole Foods’ own engineer developed started to become too costly, they resubmitted their cleanup plan to reflect relaxed criteria which are not nearly as protective of public health.
b. WF purchased two lots adjoining the original project site while demolition was still underway. You would expect that they would environmentally remediate these parcels (which are now part of their revised development plan) to the same criteria as the original site. Well, once NYSDEC advised WF that they would not receive any additional Brownfields cleanup benefits for doing so, they said “No, thanks.”
c. At the same location, Whole Foods applied for and was approved for tax benefits designed to promote manufacturing in NYC. What do they manufacture? Prepared meals for yuppies? Plus, since these tax benefits are designed to benefit economically-depressed neighborhoods, I can’t say that the application even passes the smell test – RE agents are marketing that whole area down to the Gowanus Canal as part of Park Slope. Have you seen all the new condos on Fourth Avenue in that area? Economically-depressed, my ass.
d. Again in Brooklyn, Whole Foods hosted a public meeting to consider community comments on their development plans for the site. Most of these focused on reducing parking at the site – there is no shortage of public transportation in Brooklyn, after all, and Park Slope/Red Hook traffic is no joke – so you would have expected WF to be sympathetic. You would have been wrong. Not one of the suggestions made by local community groups was adopted, or even seriously considered.

I could go on and on, but I don’t want to bore everyone.

It made me laugh when John Mackey was exposed flogging their stock – and belittling the stock of their rivals – anonymously on a Yahoo bulletin board. He says that his anonymous comments weren’t designed to affect stock prices. Anyone have trouble believing him?

So, even though I like many of the products that they sell, I kind of hate myself a little bit every time I shop there.

The Madison, NJ Whole Foods at lunchtime on a weekday is an epic gathering of health conscious office girls, milf-types and post-tennis match housewives. You could update the "Fuck Fantasy" thread every three minutes if you brought your laptop.

From http://www.nysun.com/article/58574?page_no=1

Mulling a rack of beefsteak tomatoes at Whole Foods Bowery, Vanessa Rodriguez, a slender 31-year-old woman with light brown hair hanging to her waist, removed her ear-buds as a young man sidled up to her to inquire if the produce was organic. When he followed up with a request for her phone number, she told him politely that the tomatoes were for dinner with her boyfriend.

It wasn't the first time she had fended off an approach while grocery shopping at the Whole Foods on Bowery and Houston Street, she said.

Over samples of aged Gouda and amid aisles of extra-virgin olive oil, New Yorkers shopping at Whole Foods Bowery are turning the grocery into a thriving pick-up scene. The gelato bar, the upstairs café, the chilled, private cheese room, and long checkout lines are where flirting is most rampant in the 71,000-square-foot store that opened last March, Whole Foods employees said.

[snip]
But the part where a girl gets creeped out because a guy who came onto her was 40 . . . .

I got some free groceries from them before...Thats about it...The Manager gave them to me ...Wholefoods buys a shitload of flowers from me......so I have only dealt with them through their purchasing.......

BTW, some of the larger Greenmarkets are pretty good for meeting girls too. There is definitely a lot of eye candy walking around. The best are those 90+ degree days when the girls are half naked. God I miss working there sometimes.

you can't only blame the businesses. their job is to make as much money as they can. i think more of the blame falls on the politicians who let this shit go on because of the campaign contributions (bribes) that they receive, and except for the politicians out here in vegas, who barely hide the bribes they take, brooklyn politics are right up there with the dirtiest in the country.

even the one here in vegas is full of hotties. from unlv coeds up to their moms. i think the reason the prices are so high is because they figure since you're practically going to a titty bar, we may as well add a cover charge. lol.

I got some free groceries from them before...Thats about it...The Manager gave them to me ...Wholefoods buys a shitload of flowers from me......so I have only dealt with them through their purchasing.......
Well I have to tell you every time I go to WF I always pick up some fresh flowers, yeah I'm gay that way, their Yoko Ono chrysanthemums are pretty vibrant and last a long time.