Who's Gonna Get Pinella?

My gut says that the Mets will get Sweet Lou.

Speaking of baseball, my gut also says the Giants will win the World Series. My 97-year old uncle raised me (my father died when I was three) and he's a wonderful person. He's been a Giant fan his entire life (he was devastated when they moved to SF) and he's waited 48 years for a championship (almost as long as I waited for the Rangers Stanley Cup). I'm an Angel fan but I wouldn't mind seeing the Giants win because Unc deserves it and this may be his last chance.

Even though I am a Yankee fan I would love to see the Mets get him. I think it will make the Mets a much better team and would love to see another subway series.

she's not chanting . . .

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . .
she's chanting oooooozzzzzzzzz . . .

mets -- there have been other subway switch hitters b/f,
some w/ success,
hvb

Last edited:
You know he has a big-ass house in Tampa, and is a home grown Tampa boy...lives there during the off season. Was a Tampa U. icon...(as was Tino Martinez...)

I dunno. Take your pick:

NY press

Florida hometown

I'd say the Rays have a chance...

Unless hvb gets to him first...

Originally posted by Reel Deal
You know he has a big-ass house in Tampa, and is a home grown Tampa boy...lives there during the off season. Was a Tampa U. icon...(as was Tino Martinez...)

I dunno. Take your pick:

NY press

Florida hometown

I'd say the Rays have a chance...

Unless hvb gets to him first...
Yes I also believe Rays have a shot at getting him but if he wants to take a team to the series he has a better chance with the Mets.

This just in!

I just heard the Rays were going to hold a major news conference this afternoon, but Selig cancelled it, saying no major announcements until after the Series.

If I were a betting man, I'd put odds on Pinella in TB.

Besides, why would he want to be the manager of a team in last place, run by a jerk for a GM, with a bunch of potheads as players in the luxurious surroundings of Shea (my Sunday afternoon home in the mid 70's...and it was a pit back then).

At least the Rays players aren't potheads...

Flounder

Sleeps with the (rest of the) fishes
I think Lou Piniella will sign with the Mets. If he went to Tampa Bay, it would be a tougher job.

He was my favorite player in the 70s. I still have my Yankee batting helmet with the # 14 on it and I have a Lou Piniella Yankee shirt.

"I still have my Yankee batting helmet with the # 14 on it and I have a Lou Piniella Yankee shirt."

No pants? Or was it because they didn't make crotches that big back then?

who wants him.

with all the talent he's managed, he's got NOTHING to show for it.

Griffey
Johnson
Martinez (Tino)
Maritnez (Edgar)
A-Rod

and the list goes on.

If the Mets were smart (which they're not) they would name Seaver or Chambliss. It doesn't take a whole lot to manage a baseball team..... Torre slept most of the last 5 or 6 seasons. They're like teachers... "glorified babysitters".

Mets are too dumb to even seriously persue Lou. They apparently made the Mariners an offer they could refuse.

Where ever Lou goes, I wish him much success.

He may be the total opposite of Torre, but he is still a very good manager.

Originally posted by Ozzy
Torre slept most of the last 5 or 6 seasons. They're like teachers... "glorified babysitters".
Are you out of your freaking mind? Nevermind, dont answer that, I already know the answer..

A managers postion entails a lot of strategic decision making. You dont just sit there and stroke egos.

You have to know what the other team is thinking or doing to do, before they do it. AND make sure your team is capable of stopping them.

Dont even get me started...

Last edited:
Kimmie…

My nephews pop-warner (football) coach works harder than a baseball manager.

(and he’s coaching 7 yr olds)

lets see…. I know this stuff pretty good….. pitch stats are kept by pitchers and pitching coaches. all player stats are kept by team and league statisticians. Those, along with pitching stats are printed out on papers by team statisticians. the manager simply looks at these papers during the game and he knows who can hit what or what pitcher can dominate who…. Basically what the announcer has already told us (because he has the same stat sheets). Torre also managed an AL team so he rarely had to consider pinch hitters or whether to pull a pitcher who was still pitching a good but close game. Baseball strategy is pretty basic and uniform. You "hit and run" on certain pitches or in certain situations almost automatically... same goes for stealing a base, bunting, hitting behind a runner and sac flies….. you name it. Tagging up on a fly to right… those stat guys also keep track of who has the most put outs from right field (ie… stronger throwing arm). This is all dictated by what's on those stat sheets, not what the manager knows…. Simply because he doesn’t know anything that hasn’t already been charted a hundred times by a multitude of stat guys. When the situation calls for it... they usually do it. If anything... Torre was one of the least un-predictable managers that i can remember (valentine comes close, and he's an idiot).

Lets not even get into the differences between managing from the seat of your ass (most managers sit the games out) as compared to a head coach in football who stands on the sidelines, in constant communication with his players, calls the plays, makes about a hundred position and formation changes during the course of a game and in most cases is wearing a headset and getting information from coaches upstairs. of course both have their assistants to help with the duties here and there.. but baseball doesn't take a week to "game plan" as football does. Basketball and hockey or somewhere between baseball and football... but baseball is BY FAR the easiest of them all. ever see a baseball playbook... NO because there isn't one. all they need to do is memorize the third base coaches signs which change once or twice a week. oh.. I didn't even get to "clock management" which is something a manager doesn't ever have to concern himself with.

Ozzy, its quite obvious you dont like baseball..

You never have a single positive thing to say about it.

So why the hell do you even bother watching the games on TV, or better yet go to games??

All you do is bitch and moan about baseball and how much to hate it.

If you dont like it.. DONT FUCKING WATCH IT

:rolleyes:

Hey it worked :D

Sorry ozzy..you know I luv ya.

Last edited:
I award this round to Ozzy. 10-6 on every judge's card.

BTW, Torre DID sleep most of the time. And the few times he was actually awake, he made mistakes. But he's such a likeable guy, we'll forgive him.

Originally posted by Intown
I award this round to Ozzy. 10-6 on every judge's card.

BTW, Torre DID sleep most of the time. And the few times he was actually awake, he made mistakes. But he's such a likeable guy, we'll forgive him.
Like your input isnt bias. :rolleyes: You jump on anything negative said about the Yankees..

Cant you just admit that Torre is an excellent manager? A true baseball fan can admit when another team, and its manager are great.

Its called appreciating the sport.

I hate the Mets, but I rooted for them to win during the 99 playoffs because they showed they have heart..

Hope the Rays get Piniella. The Mets would have to be crazy to actually give up any decent prospects for a manager. In baseball, a manager will not make or break a team. A bad manager will win with a good team and a good manager will lose with a bad team.

Gene Mauch is a prime example. He is considered to be one of the best managers every but he did not win a thing b/c he never had a good team.

Let Torre manage the Rays and see how great he is.

who said anything bad about baseball (or the yankees). and i don't watch it... haven't watched a single inning of the WS, and the one game i've been to (a yankee playoff game) i went for free and left in the 5th inning (or did you forget).

I have nothing against torre... he's a decent guy and i wish him the best.... but his job requires very little effort compared to other coaches in different sports.

"Cant you just admit that Torre is an excellent manager? A true baseball fan can admit when another team, and its manager are great."

I AM a true baseball fan. Torre is NOT an excellent manager; but his teams WERE. Notice the word WERE, as in not any more. You're still bitter over the Yankees recent dismal performance, including Torre's effort.