Who is the best active pitcher in MLB?

billyS

Reign of Terror
I really don't see how you can argue against deGrom.

Since 2018 he has been phenomenal and his last four starts only punctate my point.

If he were on the Yankees in 2018 & 2019 he would have won 20+ games both years.

The scary thing is (for the rest of the National League) is that he seems to be getting better with age.

I know someone chided me with Shane Bieber àbout a month ago.
I guess Billy must of forgotten about Shane Bieber ..
True he won the pitchers version of the Triple Crown last year. But you need to take into consideration that he only pitched against both the AL and NL Central divisions last year, the two weakest Divisions. And the Yankees beat him up in the playoffs.

True he came more prepared last night but I can't put him over deGrom based on their career body of work.

I haven't seen that much of Trevor Bauer other than the Yankees handling him in the Playoffs but he also won his Cy Young award based on pitching against the weakest competition.

I'm a Yankee fan, not a Met fan but I know when I'm watching something special. DeGrom and Cole are special but DeGrom is better. Find me another pitcher who can throw 100mph for 9 innings. And look at the hitters, they are helpless up there against him, totally overmatched. There is no question he is the best pitcher in baseball today and the way he is pitching right now might be the best in the history of the game.

I will wait till the end of the season to answer. RIght now deGrom looks like the best ... but this is 4 starts. Let's not go crazy. Remember when we traded for Steve Trout after he pitched back to back shutouts? George told the manager (I can't remember who) "I just won you the pennant!". As you can imagine - that didn't happen.

I am a Yankee fan,but also a baseball fan. I was wondering what Met fans think: I was thinking ,where does deGrom rank in pitching just for the Mets? Has he passed Gooden already? Definitely not Seaver...yet(?). Also his win totals will be down alit because Mets blew alot if his games.

I am a Yankee fan,but also a baseball fan. I was wondering what Met fans think: I was thinking ,where does deGrom rank in pitching just for the Mets? Has he passed Gooden already? Definitely not Seaver...yet(?). Also his win totals will be down alit because Mets blew alot if his games.
Yes, Of coarse, Seaver number 1. But koosman was also really good, but Degrom is number 2 and may be for a while. I agree, degrom passed Gooden, except for, Gooden won a WS.. But that should have no bearing on who was the better pitcher.

I will wait till the end of the season to answer. RIght now deGrom looks like the best ... but this is 4 starts. Let's not go crazy. Remember when we traded for Steve Trout after he pitched back to back shutouts? George told the manager (I can't remember who) "I just won you the pennant!". As you can imagine - that didn't happen.
Steve, you are one of my favorite Yank fans and even one of my fav UG members. But for you to think People should look at how good Degrom is over 4 starts, is clueless.

Much of what we believe a pitcher is made of comes from their performances in big games. Unfortunately for deGrom, the Mets haven't given him many of those to pitch in. Personally, I don't think it's fair to hold that against him in comparing him to other pitchers. Based on his past few seasons and his unbelievable start to this season, this Yankee fan believes deGrom is the best in baseball.

Cole is great, perhaps the best in the AL, but deGrom is on another level at this point.

Right now he is the best ... he has had a tremendous 4 starts. Last year he wasn't the best. He also doesn't win a whole lot. Maybe if he could go deeper in games he would win more. I don't remember saying just "good". If I did - I will change my ranking. He is (RIGHT NOW) excellent - but I am not calling him the best ... and he needs to do it for more than 3 years to get into the hall. Let's call it like it is. At age 32 and 70 wins - he ain't getting in. he is averaging just about 6 innings a start. Is that because he can't pitch more than that? If you are going into the hall have a couple of 20 win seasons and throw 230 innings. He has maxed out at 217 innings. He also has 4 complete games in his career. The Mets don't have a great bullpen and they haven't had one while he has been a Met. Why hasn't he gone deeper in games? It's either because he is incapable which would mean he has to take responsibility for his won-loss ... or ... management for some stupid reason won't let him throw more than 200 innings. SO .... before you reply. I am saying he is excellent. He is one of the best pitchers in the game. this year in his first 4 starts, he is the best. HOWEVER ... I don't think he will keep it up and at age 32 and 70 wins - he is not a HOFer and until he can be a stud and be counted on in September to go deep into games and actually win ... he is not in my opinion the best pitcher. Man up like Scherzer and Verlander ... go deep into games and win and bring your team deep into the playoffs. Until then can we stop blowing the guy? Winning 10 games a season with a great ERA while your team finishes out of the playoffs - does not put him in the same league as Scherzer, Verlander and even Kershaw who redeemed himself somewhat last year.

It's not fair to go after him for not going deeper into games. In the past three seasons, Mets pitchers have totaled just six completed games (deGrom has one of them).

The team has consistently taken him out after 6-7 innings when he's been dealing only to have their shit bullpen blow the lead. Why would the Mets allow this to happen? Well, they're the Mets after all.

Opening Day was a prime example. deGrom was pitching a shutout after 6 innings to a divisional opponent, having given up just 3 hits and sitting at 77 pitches. What did the Mets do? Take deGrom out with the lead to give it to their bullpen (I think they wanted to show off some of their new acquisitions) who do what they do, and lose a lead deGrom had, and the game for the Mets. Tale as old as time.

Also, Wins as a stat for pitchers haven't mattered in more than a decade. I'm not sure where deGrom may end up with regards to a possible HoF selection, but Wins will not be part of the discussion.

Great pitchers adjust as they age. I'm not sure that De Grom needs to keep throwing 100 mph in future seasons to remain dominant. Given the way baseball is played these days, it's not fair to hold it against him that he doesn't have as many CG as a Seaver or Gibson. As a Mets fan, his tragedy is playing for the Mets who have a history of losing despite some great pitchers. Everytime their bullpen blows a vintage De Grom, an angel weeps. A propos of angels, will Mike Trout not be in the HOF because he may never have led his team to a championship?