When you absolutely, positively...

...want to romantically impress a woman, where are you taking her to dinner?

Here's three to start - 2 in NY and 1 in NJ..

In NJ, the Ryland Inn out west in Whitehouse...sensational food, extraordinary wine list, ambiance, ambiance, ambiance.

In NY, Aureole on the UES for style and beautiful people and the River Cafe' in Brooklyn for romantic views.

My place for a dinner I prepare myself. Doing that, if you have the culinary skills, just might be the best panty remover there is.
Lol..true, but I think he means something more along the lines of an anniversary or proposal type of place, long after the thrill of the panty-removing stage is gone. Also, I can barely make toast.

I like Chanterelle. Fucking amazing cuisine. Beautifully understated without all the pomp and pageantry of the Cafe Des Artistes-type places.

For Italian, try Scalini Fedeli.

My girlfriend loves Petrossian to the point that I loathe going. The bubbly and caviar in there get her pussy warmer and wetter than the thought of George Clooney's cock. From the looks on the faces of the other girls in there, they feel the same, so, from her perspective, that's one to at least consider.

Mr. WW

Most romantic, hands down; One If By Land, Two If By Sea.

If you're just tring to impress, i.e. just show off the bulge in your pants (size of the wallet), then you gotta go with Daniel, Masa, or Ducasse (without a doubt my favorite French restaurant in the city - every one I go to I compare to the dinners I have had there).

BTW, Ducasse is moving to the St Regis in March, in the space where Lespinase (?) used to be.

Last edited:
If you're just tring to impress, i.e. just show off the bulge in your pants (size of the wallet), then you gotta go with Daniel, Masa, or Ducasse (without a doubt my favorite French restaurant in the city - every one I go to I compare to the dinners I have had there).
The food at Daniel is ethereal, no question, but I don't consider it remotely romantic. But, as you say, it's impressive. Out of principle, I won't go back there because Daniel B. is a notorious racist asshole who treats his Mexican employees like shit.

Masa is too rich for my blood. Ouch!

I agree that Daniel isn't particularly romantic. I agree that Chanterelle, which isn't nearly as good as Daniel as far as food goes, is.

The problem with goint to One If By Land, Two If By Sea is that you have to eat their food.

Last edited:
Lol..true, but I think he means something more along the lines of an anniversary or proposal type of place, long after the thrill of the panty-removing stage is gone. Also, I can barely make toast.

I like Chanterelle. Fucking amazing cuisine. Beautifully understated without all the pomp and pageantry of the Cafe Des Artistes-type places.

For Italian, try Scalini Fedeli.

My girlfriend loves Petrossian to the point that I loathe going. The bubbly and caviar in there get her pussy warmer and wetter than the thought of George Clooney's cock. From the looks on the faces of the other girls in there, they feel the same, so, from her perspective, that's one to at least consider.

Mr. WW
Scalini Fedeli is hit or miss.
Chanterelle is always amazing.

Thinking back...

...My most memorable "romantic" meal was in Venice at the Hotel Cipriani have dinner at a great waterside table then moving to the outside pool and drinking into the wee hours of the morning. I don't know what I ate or what I drank.
Seems to me that my most memorable meals were about where I was, who I was with, the occasion, the food, the plating, the service, etc., etc. etc. It's hard to duplicate those moments - whther at Chanterelle, Scalini Fedeli, river Cafe', etc.

...want to romantically impress a woman, where are you taking her to dinner?.
I think going to a place where you are a regular helps impress a woman, whether romantically or otherwise. I'd rather be at a place which was slightly inferior in all aspects (food, decor, service) and be treated like a bigshot* than have the absolute best. Power is a huge aphrodisiac for an awful lot of women.

Another trick is to go to the place in advance, place the dinner order (or, even better - and if it's a nice place a lot will actually comply with this request - ask them to make something of their choice which isn't on the regular menu ) and give them your credit card and pre-sign the reciept with a 25% tip. When you go in, they don't give you menus. All the waitstaff calls you by name, they don't bring menus but simply serve something which no one else is getting, and then you don't pay. If your girl isn't romantically impressed by that, dump her.

* assuming the thread premise.

I think going to a place where you are a regular helps impress a woman, whether romantically or otherwise. I'd rather be at a place which was slightly inferior in all aspects (food, decor, service) and be treated like a bigshot* than have the absolute best. Power is a huge aphrodisiac for an awful lot of women.

Another trick is to go to the place in advance, place the dinner order (or, even better - and if it's a nice place a lot will actually comply with this request - ask them to make something of their choice which isn't on the regular menu ) and give them your credit card and pre-sign the reciept with a 25% tip. When you go in, they don't give you menus. All the waitstaff calls you by name, they don't bring menus but simply serve something which no one else is getting, and then you don't pay. If your girl isn't romantically impressed by that, dump her.

* assuming the thread premise.

I've got to try something like this. Absolutely great idea!

I think going to a place where you are a regular helps impress a woman, whether romantically or otherwise.
That's why I'd choose Chanterelle hands down. It's understated, warm, and inviting and I'm always treated kindly, almost like a regular or a big shot even though I'm a nobody.

I've had a lot of good, romantic memories there too--that certainly helps.

Last edited: