When will the Colts lose?

I really think they'll lose on Christmas Eve out in Seattle, we'll see. Colts GM Polian was on w/ Mike and the Dog yesterday and it sounded like they might rest some starters the last game or two at some point.

I believe that the first time they lose will be in the playoffs. Actually, for them I think it would be best if they lost before the playoffs started. It would take some of the pressure off of them.

Yes, congrats to those who picked San Diego to beat them. Actually, its probably a good thing for them in the long run because now they can concentrate on getting ready for the playoffs. They might even lose again next week vs. Seattle but still look like the team to beat. Btw, anyone see New England lately. Wouldn't want to face them in the playoffs.

Bad News for Dungy

oddfellow4870 said:
Congrats to Yamaha, Rocketman and devilsfan for picking San Diego

Thanks for the congrats. On a sad note related to this thread, Tony Dungy's 18 year old son was found dead this morning in Tampa. Details are trickling in this morning but what I hear so far is that he stopped breathing last night at his apartment and his girlfriend call 911. This will take a toll on the team now and more importantly, Dungy. Hold all further picks for the rest of the season, in fact, I would guess they lose the next 2 games, yes, even to Arizona. Not that it matters much in lieu of this news, but bang them with everything you have to win in the Playoffs and Superbowl as they ride an emotional high for Dungy to a Championship.

I got to say, I HATE Peyton Manning, though I acknowledge he is a great QB, but after hearing this, I will probably root for them to go all the way.

ESPN Article

Daily Lines News Wire Photo Wire Message Board NFL in español Updated: Dec. 22, 2005, 11:02 AM ET
Dungy's son, 18, found dead in Tampa suburbESPN.com news services

James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, was found dead at 1:30 a.m. ET Thursday in his apartment in Lutz, Fla., a suburb of Tampa, Debbie Carter, a spokesperson for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, confirmed Thursday.

In a news release on its Web site, the Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office said it "responded to the Campus Lodge Apartments this morning at approximately 1:32 a.m. The girlfriend of James Dungy had returned to the apartment and discovered Dungy."

Police performed CPR on Dungy before he was taken to University Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

No foul play is suspected, but a cause of death won't announced pending an autopsy, said Vida Morgan, a secretary in the sheriff's public information office.

Tony Dungy has left the Colts and is in Tampa, ESPN has learned.

The coach and his wife, Lauren, have four other children: daughters Tiara and Jade, and sons Eric and Jordan.

Dungy was an assistant coach with the Vikings from 1992 to 1995, then left to become Tampa Bay's head coach in 1996.

He began his coaching career in 1980, as defensive backs coach at the University of Minnesota, his alma mater. He was quarterback for the Gophers from 1973-1976.

The Colts (13-1) are at Seattle on Saturday.

Fans posted prayers and messages of support for Dungy, who also coached the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, on a message board on a Colts fan Web site.

"Not only was he a great football coach for the Bucs, but he is an even better person," one Tampa Bay fan wrote. "It makes me sick that it happened at this time of year to a person that is so giving and caring."

Another person wrote for God to give strength to Dungy during this difficult time.

"When things like this happen it adjusts our perspective on life," one person wrote. "What was considered major yesterday doesn't amount to more than a footnote today."

Never bet against an emotional team in the immediate aftermath...

They might run out of emotional steam and get beat in the playoffs though.

Ozzy said:
Never bet against an emotional team in the immediate aftermath...

They might run out of emotional steam and get beat in the playoffs though.
I think you have it in reverse. The team does not have to win the last 2 regular season games, and prior to this tragedy, they said they were resting a lot of players and probably only playing the starters the first half. This, in combination with this awful news with have them playing with NO emotion the next 2 weeks.

Their 1st playoff game won't be till 1/15/05. The emotional downer they feel now will turn into a personal Crusade for their coach by then and no way they will run out of steam, or lose.

No professional team will coast for nearly a month and expect to suddenly gain momentum in the playoffs. Most players will start and prob be pulled after the half or third qtr. Football is a game of timing and coordination... you don't get that from running half speed drills in practices... only full speed, full contact game action will suffice. Most of the powerhouse teams in the past 20 years have never slowed down during the final "meaningless" games of the season. Those that have usually go right out in the playoffs.

It remains to be seen if the Colts will pull together for the coach because it remains to be seen if Tony Dungy and his family can weather this tragedy.

They've already lost two in a row.

It is worse for the Dungy's because it was a suicide.

This may mean some in society and a few reporters will try to pin the blame on family discord.

I wish the Colts the best. I've pulled for them all season.

But my heart is with the Dungy family right now.

Ozzy said:
No professional team will coast for nearly a month and expect to suddenly gain momentum in the playoffs. Most players will start and prob be pulled after the half or third qtr. Football is a game of timing and coordination... you don't get that from running half speed drills in practices... only full speed, full contact game action will suffice. Most of the powerhouse teams in the past 20 years have never slowed down during the final "meaningless" games of the season. Those that have usually go right out in the playoffs.
Ozzy should be on ESPN. Right on the money!

Last edited: