When Whores backstab/badmouth other sexworkers

......like being able to jam with Hendrix and Joplin at Woodstock

......like nailing a hole in one at the 7th hole at Pebble Beach

......like sinking a 40 foot birdie putt on the 18th at Augusta to win the Masters

......like being asked to the prom by the most popular boy at high school

......like drawing a royal flush when the pot is huge and you went all in

Last edited:
Originally posted by slinkybender
hv8, any day you get to slam dunk from the foul line is a good day!
I can slam dunk from the foul line.............

............on my kids' Fisher Price basketball set..............

Jseah, it was great to hear the summary of the Shelby Cobra. I used to be a huge car aficcionado but the models over the last 10 years or so just don't do it for me.

Reading about the Shelby Cobra reminded me of how I used to dream of owning one as a kid.

Even so, driving a Cobra pales to all the comparisons you make because (1) driving is not the same as owning, and (2) anyone with enough scratch can own, the most other things you mention take talent and relying on the inner self.

(although I get that you were going for the apex in those situations)

Would still be a blast, though.

Originally posted by Confused
I used to be a huge car aficcionado but the models over the last 10 years or so just don't do it for me.

Reading about the Shelby Cobra reminded me of how I used to dream of owning one as a kid.

Even so, driving a Cobra pales to all the comparisons you make because (1) driving is not the same as owning, and (2) anyone with enough scratch can own, the most other things you mention take talent and relying on the inner self.
I once read the best description of a car nut by one of the auto magazine writers..........he said that a car nut is a guy whose wife looks for a house with an attached garage, but he looks for a garage with an attached house.

Although I have never driven an original Cobra, I have read that the car is not really very user friendly. With the light weight, big engine, and lousy tires of the past, it was a bear to handle.....and the passenger compartment tended to get very hot from the engine.

Would still be a blast, though.
The closest I have ever gotten to automotive nirvana was driving south on Highway 1 along the California coast north of Santa Barbara.......warm summer night, top down, very few cars on the road, a full moon reflecting off of the Pacific Ocean, no sound except for the roar of the engine and the wind whipping through the car.

Maybe so, but between the way it looked, sounded, and the speed, it would be a blast. Besides, how much heat do you feel with the top down going 100 mph?

I can't remember the exact stats but I recall hearing it could go from 0-100 and back to 0 in 14 seconds, essentially in the span of a quarter mile. Must be a rush. Not a car to tool around town in.

As far as being a bear to handle, didn't the Cobra have a decent track pedigree in terms of winning a ton of races? Maybe I'm just Confused.

Originally posted by jseah
The closest I have ever gotten to automotive nirvana was driving south on Highway 1 along the California coast north of Santa Barbara.......warm summer night, top down, very few cars on the road, a full moon reflecting off of the Pacific Ocean, no sound except for the roar of the engine and the wind whipping through the car.
Did the exact same thing a couple of months back in a Chrysler Sebring convertible! Was surprised at how much I enjoyed driving it considering it was a chrysler and an automatic.

Closest I ever came to that nirvana was the same stretch of road in a little red fiat convertible, my first convertible purchased for 800 beans. I thought I was rich because I could afford a summer car. I loved that car and the fact that, at the time, I had enough hair that the locks from the back of my head would whip around and hurt when they hit my face!

Buying a new convertible in a couple of weeks, the details of which I won't reveal out of fear of being outed. Suffice to say, its phat and going to be a great summer.

Also contemplating a bike, you only live once. (yeah, maybe no need to accelerate the dying process but what the hell).

As far as being a bear to handle, didn't the Cobra have a decent track pedigree in terms of winning a ton of races?
From what I understand, driving any "pure" sports car would be a bear for an average driver to handle......with no power steering, no power brakes, it would take lots of muscle and finesse with the pedals to avoid wrapping the car around a pole in a turn.

a little red fiat convertible, my first convertible purchased for 800 beans.
I remember my first convertible........a Triumph Spitfire. Paid $200 for it (and I think I overpaid), even got the driving gloves that matched the interior. Fully intended to do a complete restoration................never got around to it, while the car sat on blocks for a few years (it spent more time on blocks than on the road)............ended up selling it for parts.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
I'm pretty sure the origanl concept behind the Cobra was supposed to be an answer to The Plastic Pig, which was another "sports car" which was all muscle and no finesse.

From what I understand, driving any "pure" sports car would be a bear for an average driver to handle......with no power steering, no power brakes, it would take lots of muscle and finesse with the pedals to avoid wrapping the car around a pole in a turn.
True. And exactly why it would be such a blast.

Originally posted by slinkybender
I'm pretty sure the origanl concept behind the Cobra was supposed to be an answer to The Plastic Pig, which was another "sports car" which was all muscle and no finesse.
What was the Plastic Pig? You mean the Corvette?

Love old corvette convertibles, style over substance, perhaps. You can never give too much attention to styling. Its what cars today lack (although manufacturers seem to be waking up to that with the faux retro car kick they are on, but they fall short because they are so gimmicky)

I remember my first convertible........a Triumph Spitfire. Paid $200 for it (and I think I overpaid), even got the driving gloves that matched the interior. Fully intended to do a complete restoration................never got around to it, while the car sat on blocks for a few years (it spent more time on blocks than on the road)............ended up selling it for parts.
Very nice car.

Never even considered doing a restoration because I know I'd do the same thing.

I ended up gifting mine to a friend because I couldn't stand the idea of selling it to a stranger. Pity he didn't give the car the care it deserves.

Last edited: