What percentage of UG members have read the rules?

What percentage of UG members have read the rules? Part 2: and understand the rules?

• Less than 5% read

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • more than 5% but less than 10% read

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • more than 10% but less than 25% read

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • more than 25% but less than 50% read

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • more than 50% but less than 75% read

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • more than 75% read

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Less than 5% understand

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • more than 5% but less than 10% understand

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • more than 10% but less than 25% understand

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • more than 25% but less than 50% understand

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • more than 50% but less than 75% understand

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • more than 75% understand

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
It's interesting that so far at least 1 person thinks more people understand the rules than have read them. This is one possible explanation for people not follwoing the rules (i.e. "I don't need to read the rules. I know what the rules are").

Originally posted by slinkybender
It's interesting that so far at least 1 person thinks more people understand the rules than have read them. This is one possible explanation for people not follwoing the rules (i.e. "I don't need to read the rules. I know what the rules are").
Maybe that person takes it to mean that of the subset of members who actually read the rules, X percentage understand what they mean.

Originally posted by curious
Maybe that person takes it to mean that of the subset of members who actually read the rules, X percentage understand what they mean.
oops....that might have been me. I thought that, but I don't remember what my votes were.

cause that is how I took it.

Last edited:
I don't think it's realistic to expect people to read a long list of rules for whoreboards.

I vaguely understand that no links to non-advertiser whores are allowed, otherwise, it's too talmudic.

Just a thought...

If we followed all the rules, there just wouldn't be any posts...

ie: 0.10) Do not use threads as a means of "personal communication" with other members.

Aren't all our posts our personal communication with the other member's post above us in the thread or also placing a "quoted" post as the next post?

I know what Slinky really means by this rule, but how can you possibly avoid doing this?

Isn't this the most broken rule?

slinky, one of the problems is this. Following the rules are easy.
Absent minded people like me once in a while slip, and in the heat of the moment so to speak, forget that I cant ask that question, especially since I was accustomed to doing it for over a year and a half.
someone might post incorrectly and a few minutes later realize, shit, I posted in error.
Ive tried not to do it, but I think others might have fucked up like that.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Two fairly obvious points:

- Aside from what the poll shows, I'll bet that the true percentages in both parts depends enormously on whether you count all UG members, anyone who has a screen name here, or reasonably active ones, say anyone with more than a 100 posts.

- As I and others have mentioned a bunch of times in other threads, the influence of the rules on the behavior of posters is probably greatly reduced by the fact that management at least tries to enforce some of them but treats others as mere suggestions or advisory guidelines. The UG regulars tend to know which is which, but newbies don't, and it takes a while to figure out. Imo it would be better to delete or list separately rules which are not really rules.

-Ww

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Originally posted by Wwanderer
- As I and others have mentioned a bunch of times in other threads, the influence of the rules on the behavior of posters is probably greatly reduced by the fact that management at least tries to enforce some of them but treats others as mere suggestions or advisory guidelines. The UG regulars tend to know which is which, but newbies don't, and it takes a while to figure out. Imo it would be better to delete or list separately rules which are not really rules.
It's not that I don't understand your point. My point is that people don't ever read the rules to begin with. As such, it's not that they don't obey certain rules because they are confused by "selective enforcement" of the rules, because "you can't forget what you never knew". I think you give people too much credit in this regard. For every person who breaks the rules because they think that the rules are not enforced, since they read the rules and see certain behaviour, there are........ wait..... it's infinity........ you know, of all thee_mails we've ever gotton from folks who have been banned for breaking the rules, there have been loads of excuses (some as bad as "My dog ate my homework"), but NEVER has anyone listed what you think the issue is.

but also, look what happens when you don't read the rules and simply try to "impute them" (see vermeer's post).

PS Green means go, red means stop, yellow means go very fast.

Wwanderer

Originally posted by slinkybender
My point is that people don't ever read the rules to begin with.
You may well be correct; I think it is pretty hard to guess (the right software could tell you how many ever load those pages, of course) how many people do or don't. My intuition would be that most people either completely ignore them, give them a quick glance at some point early on in their UG career but don't really absorb much (partly because they are a bit long) or check them out in some detail only when someone they are paying attention to gets banned or they themselves are about to make a post they somehow feel might be a violation.

-Ww

Last edited:
Slinky, is there a way that you can "force" a newbee at the time of registration to check off that he/she has read the rules? I know that they can "scroll" right through them without reading them at all, but you can state beforehand that they will be banned for non-compliance of the rules.

Originally posted by Dondee
Slinky, is there a way that you can "force" a newbee at the time of registration to check off that he/she has read the rules? I know that they can "scroll" right through them without reading them at all, but you can state beforehand that they will be banned for non-compliance of the rules.
That won't work.....how many people actually read through the entire license agreement before they check the box that they have read and accept the terms of the agreement when they install new software?

Wwanderer

Originally posted by jseah
That won't work.....how many people actually read through the entire license agreement
Everybody should read that stuff; you are agreeing to some truly amazing shit down there in the fine print of those license agreements! ;)

More seriously, nothing is going to work perfectly, probably nothing will even make a big difference, but it probably is possible to improve attention to the rules a bit on the margins by steps such as Dondee suggests.

You could start with some large, bold and brightly colored font stating that the site has some unconventional rules and that members are banned regularly for violating them, maybe even mentioning the average number of bannings per week or month or whatever. Then you could put the rules that result in the most bannings up front, again perhaps in an attention grabbing font. If new registrants were forced to put a page like that up on their screen at least once, it would probably make at least a small positive difference.

-Ww

Last edited:
Originally posted by Wwanderer
- Aside from what the poll shows, I'll bet that the true percentages in both parts depends enormously on whether you count all UG members, anyone who has a screen name here, or reasonably active ones, say anyone with more than a 100 posts.
Good point. Why would anyone who never posts waste his/her time reading through all of those rules?