Unheralded Bands

For whatever reason, there were some bands that were semi-successful that didn't become major, but you believe the music was great.

IMHO, Joy Division was one of those bands. Only did two albums, also a bunch of live versions are out there. Ian Curtis the lead singer killed himself over a girl I believe and the remaining band members became New Order.
Joy Division's music is a bit serious but I really like them. There is renewed interest in the band and a movie about them may be coming out.

My apologies for posting this in the general section. I was a bit tired and stupid this morning and I should have posted this in off-topic. I would have appreciate it if staff would move it to off-topic.
Thanks

kassyS said:
I remember my older sisters playing them.
They sounded like a cross between Black Sabbath, and Blondie.
I think you have the wrong band.
They sound like a dour and more serious version of the Doors.

Joy Divisions singer died really young, they had a lot of sucess after as " New Order". He commited suicide. " Love will Tear us Apart" is a GREAT Song.... great feel.

justlooking said:
I think "a cross between Black Sabbath and Blondie" is brilliant, myself.
It's interesting but I don't think it would wind up sounding like Joy Division.
I am also surprised to hear that girls were listening to Joy Division. MAabe she meant New Order.

Gothic Rock

Joy Division were described as "gothic" by their management in 1979, comparing them with the pop music of the day. Some consider them to be precursors of gothic rock. Despite the fact that Joy Division did not dress in what would today be considered a Goth style, this genre was nascent in the period of Joy Division's career, and had not at that point become so closely associated with any image. Other than the gothic description, the band and its highly original sound were categorized alongside numerous other bands of eclectic styles under the umbrella of post-punk and New Wave.
Link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joy_Division_(band)

Used to dress up like a goth chick and walked down the street, yeah, baby, traffic materially improved. Lot of guys have this goth fetish.

My sister had the "Unknown Pleasures" LP.
I don't think you do this group justice by comparing with the Doors.
Doors was once a good group in its early days before being burned on acid.
Nah, Joy Division was a far superior group.

kassyS said:
Link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joy_Division_(band)

Used to dress up like a goth chick and walked down the street, yeah, baby, traffic materially improved. Lot of guys have this goth fetish.

My sister had the "Unknown Pleasures" LP.
I don't think you do this group justice by comparing with the Doors.
Doors was once a good group in its early days before being burned on acid.
Nah, Joy Division was a far superior group.
I agree that Joy Division was a superior group, I was only trying to give some type of description of their greatness to people who do not know Joy Divison.
I have listened to Unkown Pleasures and Closer (the other albums name I think) at least a thousand times over the past 25+ years and now I have gotten my son into them.
The limited videos I have seen do not indicate that the band dressed goth.

Funny, but I do have a goth fetish. l love the tatoos and piercings on girls and I hope to meet a real goth provider one of these days.

I thinbk it is a bit unusual for a girl to be into Joy Division.
Niceeeee

Last edited:
Joy Division was (and New order still is) astounding. Peter Hook is one of the greatest bassists living today. He and Stephen Morris (drums) worked very well together. Funny someone sould post this, as the band has taken on new relevance for me lately, along with some other treats from my youth:

-Siouxsie & the Banshees
-Sisters of Mercy
-Gang of Four
-Midnight Oil

And perhaps the most relevant of all:

-Killing Joke

Don't let me get started... I could burn up the board on this topic!

Unexpected71 said:
Joy Division was (and New order still is) astounding. Peter Hook is one of the greatest bassists living today. He and Stephen Morris (drums) worked very well together. Funny someone sould post this, as the band has taken on new relevance for me lately, along with some other treats from my youth:

-Siouxsie & the Banshees
-Sisters of Mercy
-Gang of Four
-Midnight Oil

And perhaps the most relevant of all:

-Killing Joke

Don't let me get started... I could burn up the board on this topic!
Get started.
New Order is great but Joy Division is truly off the charts.
How about Echo and The Bunnymen.
Ska music - The Specials and The English Beat

Last edited:
Rokin said:
Wow
Is that you?
Any girl that loves Joy Division and looks like that is quite rare.
If that is you, please unretire.
That was me six years ago.
Wow, that seems eons ago now.

Used to hang out a lot in East Village.

Kassy
Sorry for digressing from the topic.
I read a bunch of your posts.
Interesting.
You are into
ropes
showers -not golden
are married (I think)
and are most assuredly a poet/writer
Sorry you are not in good health but I would love to have dinner with you

Rokin said:
Kassy
Sorry for digressing from the topic.
I read a bunch of your posts.
Interesting.
You are into
ropes
showers -not golden
are married (I think)
and are most assuredly a poet/writer
Sorry you are not in good health but I would love to have dinner with you
Oh, well, your offer is flattering, but am not able to accept.
Reasons

1. Married.
2. Invalid, making me a recluse.

Sorry. But we have to live with the hand life deals us.
Thank you.