UG to become pay site: Part II

would all you holding-out pieces of shit actually contribute decent info if UG wasn't

• Contribute

Votes: 33 55.9%
  • Leech.

Votes: 26 44.1%

• Total voters
If you go 'pay', IMHO it has to be pre-announced with a specific cut-off date - then 'wham', its pay only site. It should also be everyone pays X dollars, with no exceptions. Otherwise, you risk getting the jag experience where some paid, some didnt.

Then perhaps if its 'pay', you have to keep the bar at some level, so the info is worth paying for. The old-time posters like JL etc added alot and it'd be great to see them back, if possible.

Leechdom for a reason

I don't contribute much because I am not really active in the UG scene these days. I still like to know what is going on though. There are probably a lot of lurkers and semi-lurkers like me.

May I make a request?

Check what members have logged in or have been active in the past six months, give them free access, and then make any new members have to subscribe.

I love reading this board, but if I have to pay, it takes away from my hobbying budget quite honestly.

Originally posted by dpmm
Check what members have logged in or have been active in the past six months, give them free access, and then make any new members have to subscribe.
That would just piss people off! "Favoritism," "elitism," etc.

I love reading this board, but if I have to pay, it takes away from my hobbying budget quite honestly.
There's definately a barrier to entry.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
These are the kinds of posts that crack me up the most. Hobbying is a couple hundred an hour. The board would probably cost less than $20/month.

I get that way too. I'll spend $500 to see a girl, but risk getting home late by taking the subway instead of a cab, so I can save 5 bucks. What is wrong with us?

Truth

Arbeit Macht Frei
1) I can't believe the number of people acting like they're gonna have to take out a second mortgage on their house if forced to shell out $100 a year for UG. It's one thing to not want to pay it or to think it's not worth it, that's fine with me, but please .... you need another hobby if a c-note is gonna dent you that bad.

2) Paper trail? What a bunch of *&%@#*&!!

"Part I" and "Part II" are about totally opposite ends of the spectrum.

"Part I" is about trolls (people who post just for a reaction from other people). Trolls bring down a board by causing flame wars within the community, instead of discussion.

"Part II" is about people who are lurkers (people who read and don't contribute) (I am one*). Lurkers take more than they give and that also kills a board because you only have a few people discussing things and getting only some opinions instead of of a wide variety of opinions.

How was that Slinky?

* I am a lurker because of my personality. I am a quiet person by nature. Also, I don't have that many reviews because I don't go to places that often.

Truth

Arbeit Macht Frei
Originally posted by slinkybender
Could someone explain how the voting for "Part I" and "Part II" aren't somewhat contradictory?
Many who voted 'no' in part 1 are leeches who aren't admitting it by voting in part 2.