Town of Babylon crackdown

Town of Babylon shuts down 15 alleged illegal massage parlors
(02/14/11) DEER PARK - The Town of Babylon says that it shut down 15 illegal massage parlors today.
According to town officials, prostitutes were operating out of at least one of the businesses. They say the other parlors had building code violations.

Officials issued summonses ranging from $250 to thousands of dollars in fines. One shop owner says she had the proper permits, but was fined because her electricity wasn't working properly.

The town says that most of the businesses will be able to reopen once they've fixed the problems and paid their fines.

Seems like nothing more than a shakedown with legal authority. I'm sure there are hundreds of Delis, gas stations, etc... operating in this Township with greater code violations.

In newsday they have the town supervisor standing in front of the place on grand boulevard. Yikes that's a bit close for comfort. So did they shut down all the places on sunrise in west Babylon? Seems like it. I think they basically shut down all the Babylon spots that post on backpage.

Last edited:
I've read in various posts, that guys are concerned if they have a problem if they are in an AMP duirng a raid.

Here is my tinking on the matter (disclaimer: genius is not a legal type - just a citizen expecting the local authorities to do their jobs in return for the taxes I pay them)

Actually if you think about it you are the victim if the place is unlicensed – not the criminal. If you read the typical arrest charges when they raid AMPs and even though prostitution is listed 1st (if at all), the bigger charge (in terms of felony) is unlawful practice; they are performing massage w/o a license.

Just as you would be a victim is your barber or dentist, if they are unlicensed and are raided while you are "being serviced" - the same would be true, IMHO, if you are there for a massage and the massage people are unlicensed.

You are not supposed to check with NYS every time you go to your barber, dentist or massage therapist to make sure they have valid professional licenses .

How the hell would I know if the document hanging on the wall is a forgery or not? - I don’t even know what a valid license looks like.

In fact it is the authorities who have been dropping the ball when these places are allowed to operate w/o being checked out right away - the local authorities are supposed to protect you against such unscrupulous people who perform professional service w/o being licensed.
They should be apologizing to YOU during the raid – not treat you a criminal as if you are the one committing a crime – you are just trying to purchase a service that you (wrongly apparently ) assumed that the local authorities are doing their jobs properly regulating.

For crying out loud – I even read that these places have made unlicensed electrical changes (I assume the outlets placed in the walls they erect to separate the massage rooms are not properly inspected) and my life is put in danger every time I go to an AMP!.

Last edited:
Victims unite!

Genius is right...LE should apologize to any of us who are found in these places...we should not have been exposed to these unlicensed entrepreneurs.

I understand your points, Genius. But I'm not sure if they apply in every case. For example, the AMP at 500 Sunrise Highway was one of the ones closed by the town. The landlord has already placed an, "Office for Rent," sign in the number. If this building was truly not up to code, how it possibly be rented out so quickly without any renovations? You'll have to trust me on this last point, as I drive by there daily and there has not been anything done.

I've read in various posts, that guys are concerned if they have a problem if they are in an AMP duirng a raid.

Here is my tinking on the matter (disclaimer: genius is not a legal type - just a citizen expecting the local authorities to do their jobs in return for the taxes I pay them)

Actually if you think about it you are the victim if the place is unlicensed – not the criminal. If you read the typical arrest charges when they raid AMPs and even though prostitution is listed 1st (if at all), the bigger charge (in terms of felony) is unlawful practice; they are performing massage w/o a license.

Just as you would be a victim is your barber or dentist, if they are unlicensed and are raided while you are "being serviced" - the same would be true, IMHO, if you are there for a massage and the massage people are unlicensed.

You are not supposed to check with NYS every time you go to your barber, dentist or massage therapist to make sure they have valid professional licenses .

How the hell would I know if the document hanging on the wall is a forgery or not? - I don’t even know what a valid license looks like.

In fact it is the authorities who have been dropping the ball when these places are allowed to operate w/o being checked out right away - the local authorities are supposed to protect you against such unscrupulous people who perform professional service w/o being licensed.
They should be apologizing to YOU during the raid – not treat you a criminal as if you are the one committing a crime – you are just trying to purchase a service that you (wrongly apparently ) assumed that the local authorities are doing their jobs properly regulating.

For crying out loud – I even read that these places have made unlicensed electrical changes (I assume the outlets placed in the walls they erect to separate the massage rooms are not properly inspected) and my life is put in danger every time I go to an AMP!.
Your argument is logical and sound in theory, but if my SO somehow got wind of my presence at one of these places, she would certainly know the truth and I'd have a lot of 'splainin to do! For many of us, this is the real fear, not LE itself.

..... If this building was truly not up to code, how it possibly be rented out so quickly without any renovations? You'll have to trust me on this last point, as I drive by there daily and there has not been anything done.
a building does not need to meet any codes to be rented - it needs to meet certain codes to be used for a particular purpose. Has nothing to do with the landloard.

Sure it does...

a building does not need to meet any codes to be rented - it needs to meet certain codes to be used for a particular purpose. Has nothing to do with the landloard.
...There are certain codes for specific usage ...Yes, but then there are other codes simply for structure and then some for occupancy. Especially dependant on where it is located. With good reason. Whether or not your shop is rented or even occupied as the adjacent proprietor, I am damn glad that there are fire codes and Electrical codes to make sure if your shoddy structure burns to the ground, that it doesn't take mine with it.

They work you by threatening to expose you. When you have SO that becomes the most important thing you worry about. They know this and use it against you.
Exactly. Its easy to post about the technical legality of visiting an establishment which one has no reason to suspect may not be above board, but when your standing outside of the place talking to police as people you may potentially know are driving by and they threaten to expose your involvement, many would have difficulty thinking clearly and calling LE's bluff.

Fortunately, like Genius and others have said in the past, the larger charge for LE to get these establishments on is not prostitution, it's operating a massage parlor without proper license. LE does not need monger testimony for that, especially since the case will usually get plead down to a hefty fine, or at least that's my understanding.

Exactly. Its easy to post about the technical legality of visiting an establishment which one has no reason to suspect may not be above board, but when your standing outside of the place talking to police as people you may potentially know are driving by and they threaten to expose your involvement, many would have difficulty thinking clearly and calling LE's bluff.

I believe your thoughts are right on, but the rest is luck I was in one when it was in taken down. 6 or 7 plain clothes men and woman desended on the building with one claiming to have had his watch stolen or left there. Luckily the doors were locked, but it is scary when they turn out the lights and attempt to hide. Once let in they found the marked money and people they were looking for I was mildly harrassed, but was sitting there in my coat on the couch. yes I had sen and add in the paper I'm not sure when and how would I know if it was legit you assume they are open in an office or building. you don't check if your deli is lisenced before lunch. I was courteous scared and co-operative. The insinuations were there and I questioned any-legal need for my SS # the woman were the most flagrantly intimidating. I was released in about 30 minutes having commited no crime. I left purchased new underware went home and gave up mongering for a week. The possibility of it happening is always present

genius and diki...sorry to ask this here...

Hey guys, I am sorry to ask this here but you 2 guys always seem to have the answers! I've been searching these threads for weeks trying to find a no that offers true table shower service. Either nassau or suffolk. I'll actually be near jfk airport next week for a few hours and would be fine with trying one in that area. I used to go to one out on deer park ave but have only been able to find hot towel service. So any points in any directions would be greatly appreciated. Again, sorry for hitting you up here. Thanks again.

I believe your thoughts are right on, but the rest is luck I was in one when it was in taken down. 6 or 7 plain clothes men and woman desended on the building with one claiming to have had his watch stolen or left there. Luckily the doors were locked, but it is scary when they turn out the lights and attempt to hide. Once let in they found the marked money and people they were looking for I was mildly harrassed, but was sitting there in my coat on the couch. yes I had sen and add in the paper I'm not sure when and how would I know if it was legit you assume they are open in an office or building. you don't check if your deli is lisenced before lunch. I was courteous scared and co-operative. The insinuations were there and I questioned any-legal need for my SS # the woman were the most flagrantly intimidating. I was released in about 30 minutes having commited no crime. I left purchased new underware went home and gave up mongering for a week. The possibility of it happening is always present
The cops asked for your SS#?

Your argument is logical and sound in theory, but if my SO somehow got wind of my presence at one of these places, she would certainly know the truth and I'd have a lot of 'splainin to do! For many of us, this is the real fear, not LE itself.

Tell the SO, you are starting to get high blood pressure and you are doing this to relieve stress. Than offer to take her with you to one of the places that does not know you and they will certainly do a legit massage in front of her. Off her to get on too. There are places where they will put two tables together and massage both of you.

That wil put her suspicions to rest, maybe. LOL

I do this and if my SO ever heard from LE that I got caught in a AMP, she would not blink. IF LE ever threatenned me with that, I would put her on the phone and just laugh. If someone saw me outside one of these places, I would tell them that I was there for a medical massage to go try it themselves. It saves having to go on hypertension medication.

There are more legit places than there are AMPs with extras. We are guilty, so we are quick to feel guilty and not know what to say, especially to LE. If LE questionned me, I would say nothing. But if he insisted on a response, I would ask him to take to a pharmacy to test my pressure. What is he going to say?

The cops asked for your SS#?
They asked for id I provided my license and than they pushed for my s/s # which I did not think they needed and explained why would I provide it out loud in a room with 6 or 7 people and several asians who were being hand cuffed for reasons unknown to me. After 30 minutes or so I was informed I had done nothing wrong and could go. It was the female detectives pushing for the info which made me very uncomfortable.

They asked for id I provided my license and than they pushed for my s/s # which I did not think they needed and explained why would I provide it out loud in a room with 6 or 7 people and several asians who were being hand cuffed for reasons unknown to me. After 30 minutes or so I was informed I had done nothing wrong and could go. It was the female detectives pushing for the info which made me very uncomfortable.
They dont need your SS#. They only ned a form of gov't ID such as drivers license. I would just tell them (respectfully with a puzzled look on my face) unless I am going to open a bank account or apply for a job, I dont bring my SS card with me in case my wallet gets stolen (this is true - but I do have it memorized but LE doesnt have to know that). Sooner or later you are going to contact LE – if you can’t handle it I suggest you don’t get involved with the activities on this board.

BTW - the 2 female cops I know over the years were both dykes - maybe she was trying to show ow tough she was - or maybe she just hated men and wanted to break your balls a bit. Just (ever so slightly) smile and answer their questions adding nothing that wasnt asked(except for the SS# question). Yes and no are the best answers if it applies to the question.

Last edited:
...There are certain codes for specific usage ...Yes, but then there are other codes simply for structure and then some for occupancy. Especially dependant on where it is located. With good reason. Whether or not your shop is rented or even occupied as the adjacent proprietor, I am damn glad that there are fire codes and Electrical codes to make sure if your shoddy structure burns to the ground, that it doesn't take mine with it.
The answer is still no - a LL can rent a build that is about to collapse – the renters just can’t use it for occupancy until it is brought up to the applicable codes for its use.

For example a LL can rent a barn or a storage garage. Doesn’t have to meet many codes.

if the renter uses it for purposes that reuire a specifiec code - that's the renter's problem IMHO .