Tipping Uber/Lyft drivers

billyS

Reign of Terror
I just recently downloaded the Uber app (never had a need for it until now).

I asked this question to a few people and most say they never tip.

My thoughts are, wouldn't that give you a bad rating and a chance of being skipped over?

So, do you guys tip?
How much?

I did some driving for them at one point, majority of people don`t tip.

You add the tip normally at the end of a ride but not neccesarily right away so unless à driver is doing his ratings at the end of the night it shouldn't have an affect on it.

With that being said Uber/Lyft typically pay pretty poorly to the driver (75 cents a mile and 19 cents à minute in our area.) And because of this they are losing drivers rapidly right now.

With that said, knowing the pay sucks I always tip because I feel for the guy just trying to get by. Usually 5 dollar minimum for me but depends on the distance and how nice the driver is.

I just recently downloaded the Uber app (never had a need for it until now).

I asked this question to a few people and most say they never tip.

My thoughts are, wouldn't that give you a bad rating and a chance of being skipped over?

So, do you guys tip?
How much?
I’ll use Uber when traveling a handful of times per year. Generally tip 10%, sometimes more if the driver is exceptionally nice. Zero tip if the driver is on the phone or makes little or no attempt to be friendly

( tipping will not affect ratings)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/02/16/uber-scores-passengers/

If you want to influence your driver, you can tip in cash at a traffic light when you're getting close to your destination.
- Driver knows you tipped
- Driver keeps 100 % of tip (income tax; some worker apps pool or skim tips -- delivery platforms like Seamless, Grubhub though I don't know which ones skim)

Risk: Don't know if Uber AI will secretly rate drivers by % of passengers who leave tips via the app.

Anyway, I usually tip moderately ($3 or 20%) via the app or in cash.

billyS

Reign of Terror
If you want to influence your driver, you can tip in cash at a traffic light when you're getting close to your destination.
- Driver knows you tipped
- Driver keeps 100 % of tip (income tax; some worker apps pool or skim tips -- delivery platforms like Seamless, Grubhub though I don't know which ones skim)

Risk: Don't know if Uber AI will secretly rate drivers by % of passengers who leave tips via the app.

Anyway, I usually tip moderately ($3 or 20%) via the app or in cash.
I'm trying to avoid the use of cash, in the past when I needed a taxi or car service to the airport they always seemed to want the fee in cash and had a mandatory tip. So I had to make sure I the cash on me at the end of a trip or use an ATM that had fees attached.
The Uber I took from the airport recently was much cheaper than the taxi I took six years ago. I added a 15% tip but then a few people told me they never tip.

Lyft, in some cases can offer the same ride for a few $$ less-

( Airport rides from JFK/LAG to Nassau or Suffolk are much more expensive then rides originating from the County- NYC has some additional taxes)

I tip 10% (cash rounded up to nearest whole dollar) if the car is very clean, no smell of smoke and the driver drives safely (safe driving besides the obvious speed/ unnecessary lane changing etc also means no phone ). I also rather the driver not talk to me and just pay all his attention to the road.

I have made requests to for the driver to modify (what I consider ) unsafe driving methods and if not done tip is modified (can be zero).

Gig workers are seriously under paid

I always tip and with cash... 10-20% depending on the ride, cost, congestion pricing etc

Watch the series super pumped about Uber. . Another despicable human being

I couldn't get passed the second episode for that reason.
He was such a dick I just didn't care about him.
I hung in there to see if he got what he deserved..... Sadly it was a waste of time....what a POS
I saw the series it was ok. Most Billionaires are dicks or maybe all lol.

I dont tip with uber or lyft much unless they go above and beyond . Like go a bit further or make an extra stop etc.

Uber is valid af in Domincan Republic and even South America very affordable and really quick.

I also dont think uber pool is still around but it was cheap and i picked 2 girls up while ubering with them , 2 seperate occasions. Once with a colleague. Uber eats is better than uber , more deals..

Wow, look at all the opinions on here about how people judge a good ride/driver. Can you imagine why it's difficult for them to determine what is going to get them a tip?

Empathy: The intellectual identification of the thoughts, feelings, or state of another person.

Sure, I get that some drivers just plain suck. Everyone can agree on that. But, all you're asking for is a safe ride that is more predictable and less expensive than a taxi. What made you think you are owed your favorite communication style, music, expected type of car, a free stop at a liquor store, or preferred air freshener?

I make an above average income for the DC area but thought it would be cool to go back to my blue collar roots to pay for my kids college fund, rather than adjusting other things.

Turns out, it's not cool. Not cool at all.

I could tell it wouldn't be economically feasible fairly quickly, yet I stubbornly did it for a year because I wanted to be wrong about what people will justify for their own benefit.

Uber/Lyft (I did both at the same time) assure drivers of a positive algorithm and the generosity of others (tips) as a main source of income, but they sell riders on a positive (undefined) experience and actively, but not blatantly, erode the concept of tipping.

I'm a comms pro in my full-time work (I think that statement narrows me down to 5% of the population, so I'm not giving identifiable info). Interpersonal skills are my strength. I was rated 5* consistently as a driver (both apps) and went above that. helped people w/their groceries, opened the door for them like they'd ordered a black car, etc. I thought it was fun to do what other people thought was beneath me. Yet, that translated to 8% tips on average.

Most people that rideshare regularly tip nothing. The average gets to 8% because generous, infrequent riders tip 30% on average. I actually kept demographic stats on tipping from doing this, as sort of a statistical hobby.

But...No one is interested in crunching numbers, which I analyzed for quite a while. So, I'll just tell you that income-expenses means your driver makes 10-15/hr on most days. (Yes, I know NYC has some funky laws, but the app algorithm accounts for that. Whatever NYC says is the minimum, they're not making more).

If you're truly interested in an appropriate tip the apps don't make it easy for you to determine. You won't know how much of your total payment the driver receives. Maybe ask what the app said his/her estimated payout would be. Then...

What you should think about when tipping (Tier 1): Concern for your safety, basic communication, navigation skill. (Tier 2): Your total payment (keeping in mind that the driver MAY receive 50-80%), The driver's time (distance is paid much more than time. If you're stuck in traffic - sucks for you to be late for your HJ, but the driver is burning fuel while making gross $6/Hr, trying to get you to a toothless crack whore who will then make a shit load more off you than the driver.

To repeat one of my other posts;. Money, sex, and/or power are the motivating factors of men. If you don't want to give your driver a reach around, maybe you should realize you control what he/she receives and should act accordingly, based on fairness and your nature.

Crazy to me how many people don't tip for these rides. I can't imagine ever not tipping a cab driver so why not Uber/Lyft. The pay is crap, throw them a couple bucks.
Although my Uber/Lyft experiences are limited (usually airport/home type of trips), every one was with a spotless, well maintained i.e., tires in good shape — I give a glance while driver is loading baggage, interior fresh and clean, driving habits safe. I tip appropriately for such professional service.